Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Starwood Hotel near or in Ft Lauderdale Feb4-8,The Atlantic,Diplomat CC, Yankee Trader, Yankee Clipper?!?

Which Starwood Hotel near or in Ft Lauderdale Feb4-8,The Atlantic,Diplomat CC, Yankee Trader, Yankee Clipper?!?

Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

We're confused. We're going to Fort Lauderdale for 4 nights using Starwood Pts 2/4-2/8 before we go to Miami for 4 nights probably using Priceline for that... We've never stayed in Ft Lauderdale or seen much of what's there so we want a nice place! Can't wait to check out the Las Olas area, the King Tutankhamen exhibit, etc, etc... We love the look and reviews of The Atlantic and the Diplomat County Club on Trip Advisor, but still aren't sure where to stay. I guess it would be nice to have a view of the beach or be near it, which is why The Atlantic calls to us. This place is 10,000 point per night. The Yankee Trader is much older but only uses up 7000 pts per night. We LOVE to have a really nice room (Diplomat Country Club and Spa) but we don't golf of play tennis so maybe that place isn't so great of us. We love to look at the water from our room, so the beach resorts look good. They're building a St Regis in Ft Lauderdale which looks ultra expensive, but they don't think it will take Starwood pts (

Has anyone stayed at The Atlantic lately, or these other 2 or 3 hotels? If the Diplomat Country Club is THAT much nicer than these others, we'd consider staying there and give up the killer ocean or city view. We have seen the Westin Diplomat in Hallendale and while it's a great hotel, it's location is kind of ratty with all that construction going on and no beach at the hotel (it washed away). It's a shame, as the hotel itself is a fantastic work of art.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/corpor...Type=relevance

Lastly, and don't shoot me for asking, but are there any "must see" things in Fort Lauderdale, culturally speaking? Killer art museums, amazing shopping areas (for her) other than Las Olas, and moderately priced restaurants that are fantastic? She went to that outlet mall last year w/the Sax 5th Ave outlet and was in heaven. Yeesh...I read a book. I know - do the search. I will

Thanks in part to you guys, we're off to Oahu, Maui, BI and Lanai in 1 week. Yahoooooooooooo.

Regards,
Steve and Julia
Silver Spring MD
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:36 AM
GoTravel

Steve, have you looked at the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood Beach? Hollywood is a short drive from Ft. Lauderdale and the hotel is spectacular.

Of the resorts you've listed, my pick would be the Atlantic.

Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - I meant to say the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood Beach, not Hallandale was the one we checked out last year. We weren't too thrilled with that lack of beach, the construction all around it or the neighborhood... but the hotel IS incredible. It'll be a great place to stay when they renew that beach and the other hotels are finished. And yes, your pick of The Atlantic looks pretty good to us too! Anyone stayed there recently?

Thanks for responding.

Steve R
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:13 AM

First choice the Atlantic with the Diplomat as a second choice. I personally would avoid the two Sheratons. The location of the Atlantic is far superior and convenient to Las Olas as well. As previously stated the drive from the Diplomat isn't terrible but why be out of the way in Hollywood if you don't have to be. The Atlantic may be close enough to a Water Taxi stop to take advantage of that as well, I don't recall the exact location on A1A offhand.
http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp
Have a good trip.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Harry - I think The Atlantic sounds like the best bet too!

Steve R
Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:09 AM

My husband and I are staying at the Atlantic in November. Could not get a room at the Westin Diplomat where we usually stay. Everyone on the web raves about the Atlantic. Look into their packages thru Starwood. My husband and I got the romance package which includes an oceanfront room, breakfast each morning, taxes and resort fees. Does not include parking which is $27 per day. Saved money on this package. The Westin Diplomat is nice but as you say the lack of a beach is a problem.

If you are Mariott Member the the Harbour Beach in out standing. That is right on the water in Fort Lauderdale. Also the Lago Mar is nice (not a starwood) but not as upscale. They are very reasonable however and have a great beach and two pools.
Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Linda. The reason we can't get the "package" at The Atlantic is because we are using Starwood Points. 30,000 points will get us the 1st 3 nights but we have to pay $389 for that last night for the "Grand Deluxe Room". This particular room type is the only one they give you for the points, and it's oceanfront, not oceanview on the lower floors (6-9). We may end up not paying for that last night as $389 is alot for us for a hotel and just do 5 nights instead of 4 in Miami at a cheapie Priceline hotel 4* deal! What do you think of that idea???

Steve R
Aug 23rd, 2005, 03:55 PM

I think if you pay the $389 which is alot for one night you need consider the other nights are free. I would stay the fourth night at the $389 as you are probably at one of the more luxorious hotels in Florida. Starwood has a Sheraton in Bal Harbout which is North Miami Beach. It is supposed to be a really nice beach and beautiful pool. The rooms are fair. It is more reasonable than the Atlantic. You may want to consider that hotel for your Miami trip and use starwood points or as a starwood member you can sometimes get the 50% off for 5 nights and 1,000 points.
Aug 25th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Linda - we looked on Trip Advisor about the Bal Harbour resort and I think the Atlantic might be a better way to spend our Starwood pts and we'd never normally spend THAT much on a place while in Florida. It would definitely be our point splurge!

I think we'll just do Priceline in Miami and take our chances... Can't wait to go to Ft Lauderdale. Never been there and the King Tut exhibit is calling.

Steve R