Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which ski resort(s) around SLC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-ski-resort-s-around-slc-633549/)

language_buddy Jul 24th, 2006 10:41 AM

Which ski resort(s) around SLC?

We're (4 couples, all in late 20s) planning a ski trip for mid-January and have decided to fly in/out of SLC since it's a good connection from the East Coast. However, I'm not at all familiar with this area or the resorts. I have heard good things about Steamboat and Alta. I've also read a bit about Park City.

We'd like to not have to worry about renting cars for the 8 of us. Is this feasible and easily done? We're only going for 4 days of skiing so we want to maximize time on the slopes and minimize cost (doesn't everybody?!).

Which resort(s) is easiest accessible from the airport and easiest in terms of getting around and on the slopes? We're all intermediate to expert skiers (some of us less fearful as others) :)

Many thanks for your insight!

lisettemac Jul 24th, 2006 11:05 AM

If you go to Park City, you can stay in town right on the public bus line that loops around to the Park City Mountain Resort, Deer Valley and several town stops. It is very convenient, with room for skis on the outside. I've done it before. I believe there are shuttles from the airport to PC. The town of Park City is small, but quaint and you can easily walk (or take the bus) from your lodging to restaurants, shops, galleries, etc. I've stayed at the Park Station (at the bottom of Main Street) and not used my car at all.

enzian Jul 24th, 2006 11:33 AM

You don't need a car to get to any of the resorts. Canyon Transport will meet you at the airport (with a van) and take you and your gear to the resort of your choice:
http://www.canyontransport.com/main.htm

My personal favorite for skiing is Snowbird/Alta (the two resorts are right next to each other and now connected). Both have wonderful blue and black runs, and the slopes are just a short walk (or ski) from the lodging.

Park City, up a different canyon a bit farther north, is an actual town that offers more lodging and restaurant choices, as well as a variety of skiing.

Not sure why you mentioned Steamboat; it is in Colorado and nowhere near the SLC area.

SmileyFace Jul 24th, 2006 03:40 PM

I would also recommend Park City since it's an easy 40 minute shuttle ride from the airport. See if any of the condo residences at The Lodge at Mountain Village suit you. They're slopeside to the resort and you can take the bus into town at night for dinner (as opposed to staying in town and taking the bus to the resort), so it's a good location if you hate lugging ski stuff around. Make sure you see a picture of the condo before you book because they're owner decorated and some are better maintained than others. I believe there's a rating system/price structure they use.

There's a bus stop next to The Lodge and it's a quick, free, safe ride into town. If you feel like skiing Deer Valley or The Canyons, the bus will take you there as well. It's a pretty low hassle area once you get the hang of it. The 1st time I went, I was there on my own a day and a half before the rest of my group showed up and had no problem figuring out how to get around. Just grabbed a map and asked the bus driver when in doubt. Plus, Park City has a good selection of restaurants, nightlife, and taxis if you don't want to mess with the bus after dinner.

If your heart's set on staying in town, you can use the Town Lift to get to/back from the slopes, but you might still have to walk with gear in tow for a bit, depending on where you're staying.

The shuttle service I use from SLC is All Resort Express. Haven't ever had any problems with it.

Good luck w/ the vacation!

language_buddy Jul 24th, 2006 05:02 PM

Thanks for all the tips and info!

Enzian, you're right :) I meant to write Snowbird but was already thinking of my March CO ski trip when writing this post.

cheribob Jul 24th, 2006 10:59 PM

I just want to chime in with Park City also for all the above mentioned reasons.

skipop Jul 26th, 2006 03:01 AM

If it matters, note that teh Sundance Film Fetival is in Park City from Jan. 18-28. While the slopes will be fine that time of year, the town will be mobbed. If you're truly going for skiing and don't care about access to a town, Snowbird/Alta would be a better choice. You can ski both resorts on a single special pass and both resorts connect so you can stay at one and ski both. (FYI, no boarders at Alta). You may also want to look at Solitude if you want a ski village type atmosphere to go along with the skiing.

To go to SLC and not ski Snowbird and Alta would be a shame, even though the other resorts are great as well.

altaholic Aug 31st, 2006 02:58 PM

Steamboat is in Colorado, you mean Snowbird. Snowbird and Alta are great, but only if you like deep powder. If you do, try Snowbird, no car needed, just take a shuttle from the airport. www.cliffclubcondo.com