Which side of the Big Island and Kauai in late June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at booking a trip for the 3rd week or so of June. Can anyone give me some suggestions re: where on the island is best during that time? Any hotels that go with the rec's would be appreciated too!
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:25 AM

For Kauai, I'd recommend staying on the north side of the island. More lush and picturesque than the south IMHO. And June is outside the rainy season so no extra concern there.

As far as hotels, if you can afford it I'd definitely stay at the Princeville. Was there for 6 nites this past Feb. and absolutely fell in love with it.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:30 AM

for BI, depends on what you're looking for - beaches, hiking, waterfalls, lush vegetation, etc.
I thought the Hilo side was gorgeous with waterfalls every few miles, beautiful gardens, but it was a bit rainy and not too many beaches, plus it was kind of city-ish, so the Kona side was good for me because i wanted to laze around on the sand for a few days. from Kona you can drive north to Kohala or south a few miles and get a totally different variety of beaches.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:31 AM

oh! i forgot to plug The Best Guidebook Ever Published - www.wizardpub.com
If only all guidebooks were so well researched.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Kal

Def No. Shore Kauai in June but you really can't go wrong no matter where you pick in June.

No matter where you stay, drop by the Hanalei Bay Resort for the Sunday night "jam" session in the Happy Talk Lounge.
Get there early and get a table away from the speakers so you can also see Bali Hai as the sun sets thru the palms. Awesome.

Doug-You get a special deal at P'ville Hotel? If so where did you find it? We always think about spending a few nights "up north" but never seem to find a decent deal that would want to make us leave "the old homestead".
Mahalo,
Kal
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:56 AM

Kal,

Booked our whole stay (5 nites Maui/6 nites Kauai) thru a travel agent so really don't know what the breakdown was for The Princeville....think we got a pretty good deal though as we got an ocean-view room and breakfast was included, a $50/day savings for the 2 of us.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 11:30 AM

Doug, if you don't mind me asking, how much did your stay cost at the Princeville?
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Hey dandrews42,

Like I said, I had a travel agent book our whole trip....never asked for a breakdown of the prices for each of the pieces (air, hotels, car rental, etc.).

Think we may have gotten a special rate at The Princeville, though (and maybe the free breakfast), by staying there for 6 nites.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 12:53 PM

We are staying at the Princeville in May...booked through a travel agent. We have a garden/mountain view room, breakfast and car for 5 nights. I will check my paperwork tonight...
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Sounds like someone in this string of emails could provide us w/ advice as well... My husband and I have the opportunity to book a vacation home either near Poipu or at a guest house across from Hanalei Bay. I've heard that Hanalei may be too secluded to allow one to explore the island very well...
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Kal

Doug, Did you use a travel agt? ;-)
thx for the reply. Maybe one of these days I'll get my lazy okole off the lounge chair and try a diff. place!

Lorraine-How long will you be there? Hanalei/Pville is a bit "up north" but not that far. If you're used to driving a long way on the mainland, it's no problem on Kauai.
From Poipu you can get to Polihale in about 30-40 mins. About 45-60 or so to Hanalei.
Kal
<[email protected]>
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:00 AM

Loraine,

Every part of the island has places to explore. Up north, where Hanalei and Princeville are, there are several nice beaches, wet & dry caves, and the beginning of the NaPali Coast. The Kalalua Trail begins right past Ke'e beach and includes a great 8-mile roundtrip hike to a breathtaking waterfall.....beautiful scenery of the Coast as well.

To get from the Hanalei/Princeville area to Poipu (some great beaches and nice little hikes) is 45-60 mins. as Kal said. Another 30 mins. or so brings you to the road up the Waimea Canyon....you could get lost up in there with all of the wonderful hikes.