Which side of Lake tahoe to drive down

May 7th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Edy

Which side of Lake tahoe to drive down

We will be approaching Lake Tahoe from Reno and driving from north shore to south shore of lake tahoe before traveling on to San Francisco. Is the East or West side more interesting and why? Also would you go to Monterey through San Francisco(Rte I80) or would you go the southern route?

May 8th, 2002, 06:23 PM
janis

Most folks on this board would recommend the west side. But I think the Nevada (east) side is better. It is shorter, there is less traffic, and the very prettiest place on the entire lake is at Sand harbor on the NE corner of the lake.

The western route takes a lot longer - but there is the loop around Emerald Bay which is really great. But unfortunately,due to the cliffs the driver can't enjoy the views.

Whichever route you take, make a point of visiting both Sand Harbor and Emerald Bay. From Northshore it is a short drive to Sand harbor, and from Southshore it is a longer but still manageable drive to Emerald Bay.

The second part of your question is confusing. First you say you are going to SF and then you ask whether you should go through SF on your way to SF. before we can give a reasonable recommendation, need to know if SF is a destination OR if you are just going to Monterey.

May 8th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Patrick

I'd agree that the drive down the Eastern shore is much more scenic and far less traffic clogged. The prettiest part of the Western route is at the south end -- Emerald Bay -- but you can add that by driving out from the South Lake Tahoe one day just to that spot.

May 8th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Edy

Hi Janis:
Sorry about that second part. Guess that is result of sitting at this computer at 2:24 in the AM.It's a little earlier tonight so I will try to be more explicit. Yes, we are going to Monterey from Tahoe before returning to SF. I didn't know whoch route was preferable to Monterey.
Edy

May 8th, 2002, 11:10 PM
janis

Edy - me too. My question was even more confusing than yours. I meant to say "through SF on your way to MONTEREY".

Well if you are first traveling from South Lake Tahoe to Monterey and THEN to SF the route I would take is (if fast time is what you are looking for)

HWY 50 to Sacramento, I-5 south to Santa Nella and HWY 152 across to Hollister and then into Monterey. This route avoids the SF Bay area traffic mess. The only problem is which day of the week are you traveling? The trip from tahoe into the Sacramento Valley (on either I-80 or HWY 50) is awful on Sundays. That is the busiest day west bound and traffic can be backed for miles. Hopefully you are traveling on a different day of the week. if it is a Sunday, leave Tahoe VERY early in the morning.

May 9th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Suzie

If I were driving from Reno to South Lake Tahoe I would take the east side. If I were driving from South Lake Tahoe to Reno I would take the West Side. I think the view of Emerald Bay from the South is much better than coming from the North just like the views on the east side are much better viewed when going south.

May 9th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Edy

Thank you all for your input. We will definitely head down on the east side and drive up through tEmerald bay before turning toward monterey(by way of Sacramento, Thank you!) We will be leaving tahoe on a Wednesday so should be ok trafficwise. This is such a great site. Last year I got tons of info for a trip to France,all of it extremely helpful.