Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Show Would You Travel To? Leno or Letterman? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-show-would-you-travel-to-leno-or-letterman-643702/)

bonniebroad Sep 1st, 2006 07:42 PM

Which Show Would You Travel To? Leno or Letterman?

If you won a free trip to see one or the other? I'm a Leno girl myself ;;) (gonna really hate it when Conan takes over in a few years!)

(I know, I know ... but it's Friday, and I'm a bit bored! :-d )

Scarlett Sep 1st, 2006 07:46 PM

Leno :)

matnikstym Sep 1st, 2006 07:48 PM

Letterman

mah1980 Sep 1st, 2006 08:08 PM

Personal preference. I think Dave (and Conan) are many times wittier and smarter than Jay. Jay I find kisses celebrity's you know what's too much and his jokes are kind of dumbed down.

Suzie Sep 1st, 2006 08:13 PM

Letterman, hands down! Plus going to NYC is so much better than so cal!!

bonniebroad Sep 1st, 2006 08:18 PM

I'm not putting Conan down in any way; he can be so silly that he's hilarious but .......... I like Jay MUCH BETTER! :-)

(Craig Kilburn can also really tickle my funnybone ....)

Kerry392 Sep 1st, 2006 08:36 PM

Jay- I love his monologues and Jaywalking. I wish I could stay up every night to watch him.

SeaUrchin Sep 1st, 2006 08:38 PM

I used to love Letterman's show until I went to the taping and backstage to meet him, I was terribly unimpressed at the way he treated the audience and what he said about them behind their collective backs.

I ended up not liking him at all. I haven't met Leno but I know people who have and they say he is a genuinely nice, polite, intelligent man. What you see is what you get.

I know that my personal experience shouldn't taint my views of Letterman's humor or his show, but, unfortunately, it has and I can't even watch his show now. I suppose his appeal is that he is a curmudgeon and, well, he is, so I guess what you see is what you get with him too.

LoveItaly Sep 1st, 2006 08:43 PM

That is interesting SeaUrchin.

I usually watch Leno, and he does appear as a nice gentleman. I watch Letterman once in awhile but I am not a fan of his. And I am not a fan of Conan, for some reason he give me the creeps, lol.

123go_ Sep 1st, 2006 08:54 PM

JAY LENO! Wish they were replacing him with Kilburn or anyone else besides Conan.

Neopolitan Sep 1st, 2006 09:05 PM

I used to be a huge Letterman fan, but it seems when he got "important" he started taking over. When he interviews people he seems more intent on telling "his side" of the story rather than letting the celebrity talk. It's gotten very old to me.

jetset1 Sep 1st, 2006 09:16 PM

I like Jay when he's doing his car shows and sometimes, he has original cutting edge monologue, and the "hip" factor.

Letterman is okay, but his dorkabilly humor wears thin, as does ogling young celebrities cleavage.. when he was bitter, he was funny. Now that he's a daddy, he has mellowed with age.

Hmm, no Oprah fans,lol.. any takes on Rosie joining the View soon?.. will she be mellow or combative? a meglomaniac or a donut tester? Time will tell.. I liked Meredith Viera the most.

LoveItaly Sep 1st, 2006 09:21 PM

Hi jetset, not an Oprah fan, never cared for Rosie, hardly ever watch daytime TV so never watch The View, am not as impressed with Dr. Phil as he is with himself, lol. Miss Johnny Carson!

bonniebroad Sep 1st, 2006 09:30 PM

I am not an Oprah fan; she gets enough adoration from herself, she doesn't need me! :p I've liked Rosie since watching her in "A League Of Their Own." Also like Meredith, and Ellen De Generes.

By the way, I meant that Craig FERGUSON tickles my funnybone, not Kilburn!

BTW, all you other ladies, what are you doing up so late???????? :D I have been eating bagels with cream cheese, and having a glass of Rhine!

jetset1 Sep 1st, 2006 09:38 PM

Yes LoveItaly~ Johnny was truly King!
I miss the days when I watched him with my parents and the animals would scare him.. when he and Ed would lose it, when he did his Karnak routine, when some big chested starlet type would do the skits...priceless memories!

Cali Sep 1st, 2006 10:00 PM

I'm one of those who also wonders how Conan got picked to take over for Leno. I will not be watching when that happens. I like Leno lots better than Letterman - just like his personality better and have met him in person and it is just the same in real life. Love Jaywalking.

LoveItaly Sep 1st, 2006 10:00 PM

Priceless memories indeed Jetset!

And bonnieboard, it is only 11:00pm here on the westcoast so that is not too late, lol! Have a wonderful time in Florida btw, and I will cross my fingers you won't encounter the redtide.

lenleigh Sep 1st, 2006 11:18 PM

I've stood in front of Letterman's studio but have never been to see him. New York is hands down more exciting compared to where Leno is taped.

I have been to 2 tapings of the Tonight Show and Leno is exactly the kind of guy he appears to be on tv. He comes out and greets the audience and goes over the taping process everyday before the show. He interviewd Conan on the first show we went to which was maybe 6 months before they announced that he would take over the show.

RetiredVermonter Sep 2nd, 2006 02:37 AM

Neither. I hate cities. Period.

I'm rarely up late enough to watch them on TV, either, but I do sometimes enjoy Leno. He's less idiotic than Letterman.

Maggi Sep 2nd, 2006 03:56 AM

Bonniebroad, I knew who you meant - Craig Ferguson appeals to me as well. He seems to be genuinely interested in his guests, reflected even in his body language. I don't "get" Conan or Letterman, so I guess Leno would be my answer to this question.