Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which SF hotel would YOU stay in? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-sf-hotel-would-you-stay-in-194035/)

Sarah Oct 3rd, 2001 02:45 PM

Which SF hotel would YOU stay in?

I am making a last minute trip to San Francisco at the end of the month. I've found some great rates, but have no idea which hotel to stay at. I have narrowed it down to the following: The Palace, The Argent, The Pan Pacific and the Westin St. Francis. I've never been to any. <BR> <BR>Price aside, which hotel would you stay in and why? My husband and I are in our late 20's and want a nice, luxurious hotel... but we need some help. Thanks!!!! <BR>

barb Oct 3rd, 2001 02:50 PM

The new Four Seasons in SF just opened today!! I'd go there above the others- you can't beat the hotels for luxury and service.

Sarah Oct 3rd, 2001 02:52 PM

Thanks Barb, but I am really trying to get input on these four hotels. They all have really good deals right now. Believe me, I wish I could afford the Four Seasons....

kam Oct 3rd, 2001 04:19 PM

The St. Francis, but be sure you're going to get a room that has some kind of a a view and not just of the other side of the hotel or the Palace is a lovely turn of the century hotel with an incredibly beautiful lobby for tea/cocktails. It's just off Market Street so you can take the old trolleys down Market. Unfortunately, I live nearby so haven't stayed here (I have stayed at the St. Francis, just recently when we do a "city night.")Either of the two are well located, but the St. Francis is right at Union Square and the Powell/Hyde cable car line. Have a great time.

Prue Oct 3rd, 2001 09:06 PM

Sarah, <BR>We stayed at the St. Francis about three weeks ago. The room was comfortable and clean, but nothing special, and it looked out over Union Square, but as that is all under construction at present it was not very interesting. <BR>The location was good, but we found the number of homeless etc. on every street corner nearby a deterrent to walking many places. <BR>

ldsant Oct 3rd, 2001 10:18 PM

Why only these four? There are many other hotels to choose from in SF. I like the St. Francis, but the rooms really aren't anything special inside. The location is superb however! The Palace has a bit bigger rooms but is an older (more charm) than the Argent and Pan Pacific. The Pan Pacific is very nice. There are a number of conventions that are hosted there however if that will bother you. I have never stayed at the Argent.

Sarah Oct 4th, 2001 04:02 AM

I am looking at these 4 hotels, becuase they have some really good rates right now.

san fran Oct 4th, 2001 05:12 AM

Ritz carlton on the club level. Cant be beat. Trust me.

J T Kirk Oct 4th, 2001 05:59 AM

We liked the Pan Pacific, even though it's huge and we normally don't like massive hotels. But the room was very good-sized and super clean. It even smelled clean, know what I mean? <BR>Plus, it's in a great location as far as shopping and restaurants.

Ron Oct 4th, 2001 01:09 PM

FYI: Here's an article from today's paper about the Four Seasons. Might be worth a look if there are any "bargins". <BR> <BR>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=business

Jennifer Oct 4th, 2001 01:16 PM

Go for the Palace Hotel. You will not <BR>be sorry. The St. Francis is nice - but the rooms are just ok. The Pan Pacific is also nice - but does not have <BR>the beauty and charm of the Palace. You <BR>will love it. Very well located and very romantic. <BR> <BR>Have fun. <BR>

kim Oct 4th, 2001 03:41 PM

The Westin is in great location and has nice room/view. BTW, it withstood the big quake in the early 1900.

Greg Oct 4th, 2001 04:57 PM

I stayed at the Palace--and was sorry. <BR>After staying at the Ritz (which is nice, but not one of the 5 best Ritz's in the world) and a corner Mandarin room at the Mandarin Oriental, the Palace was, well, not exactly a palace. <BR>The Four seasons looks great.

Jenny Oct 5th, 2001 12:13 AM

Pan Pacific, definitely. <BR>Beautiful rooms, super clean (as someone said, they smell fresh), incredible service !!! and it's not that huge as someone else mentioned.