Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

which san antonio hotels are close to the Riverwalk?

Apr 20th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Tess

In my never-ending saga to find a San Antonio hotel (RE post from last week), the hotel I wanted (for my DD's upcoming dance competition at the Municipal Auditorium), the Hawthorn Suites, is booked solid. Since this hotel is directly across from the auditorium, it would have been perfect. Am now looking at hotels near the trolley blue line so we don't have to spend a fortune on taxis. From what I can tell, hotels near the Alamo would fit the bill. Hyatt looks great but it's running $250 a night--too much for 4 nights--I'm looking more in the $120 range per night.

I'd welcome any suggestions--am driving myself insane trying to pick out hotels and plot them on a map of downtown.

Apr 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Tess

Oops, can't believe I did that--I meant which hotels are close to the Alamo, not the Riverwalk...

Apr 20th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Have you looked into the La Quinta chain of hotels? (laquinta.com) I believe they began in San Antonio. We stayed at the one at Market Square & it was walking distance to Alamo & Riverwalk; great breakfast too.
Apr 20th, 2005, 09:25 AM

Check out the Menger Hotel - an old institution directly across from the Alamo & easy walking access to the Riverwalk. The Menger has so much charm and one of my favorites.
Apr 20th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Jayne1973

Have you considered Priceline? We got the Hyatt for $75, bidding in the Downtown/Riverwalk area. This is the area of both the Alamo and Riverwalk. Check biddingfortravel.com for more info how to bid and what hotels you might get in the different areas of town. You might even be able to find a good deal on something near the auditorium.

Apr 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM

We stayed at the Menger last July for my daughters dance competition also at the auditorium.
We loved it.
no problem with the trolley ,we even walked it several times.
heard some complants from other parents the Hyatt was packed with many unruly Kids
Apr 20th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Downtown San Antonio isn't really that large and walking is pretty easy - though in summer heat it can be toasty and the trolley is handy. SA is a big meeting and convention destination, so if you are attending a large meeting you may find the cheapest rooms hard to find. If you are happy with clean, basic accommodations, though, there are many options. Several of the mid range chains are downtown - Drury, Comfort, Hampton, La Quinta, etc. The Crockett is literally across the street from the Alamo, often has good prices on www.hotels.com. There are also the two large Marriotts, also a Residence Inn. Have you checked www.tripadvisor.com?
Apr 21st, 2005, 04:13 AM
dcespedes

What about AmeriSuites?

http://www.amerisuites.com/reservati...asp?facid=4064

Apr 21st, 2005, 05:30 AM
Tess

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions.

Halbo49, did the Menger have a pool? I have a feeling that will be important to the girls once we're there.

Seamus, I live for Tripadvisor! That website is wonderful! I'm just having a hard time figuring out which hotels are closest to the auditorium.

Apr 21st, 2005, 01:44 PM

Yes,The pool is in the center of the hotel,we stayed 3 dayes and it was NEVER crowded. O yes the Menger is haunted also
Apr 21st, 2005, 01:50 PM

Thought I might add that parking for hotels on the downtown area is very expensive (12 bucks a nite at the Menger) We flew in so it was not a concern
Apr 21st, 2005, 03:22 PM
dcespedes

Hi Tess--I found a map on-line that shows where the downtown hotels are located.

http://hotel.undercovertourist.com/u...antonia-south/

Apr 21st, 2005, 03:24 PM
dcespedes

By the way, after you click on a hotel name be sure to scroll to the bottom of the page where the map is located.

Apr 21st, 2005, 04:11 PM

Days Inn is just a block or so away from the Alamo which is just a block from the RIverwalk
Apr 21st, 2005, 04:22 PM

My daughter and I stayed at The Menger and we loved it. I remember having lunch in a lovely courtyard. It is very convenient to the Riverwalk and there is an Imax Theater near there also. I believe their was a shopping in the same location. It is a beautiful old hotel.
Apr 21st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Tess

OH wow, Decespedes, that map is marvelous--thanks so much!

Thanks to everyone else for your recommendations--I'll let you know what we decide.

Apr 21st, 2005, 05:56 PM

I don't believe anyone mentioned the Hilton. It has a terrific location right on the Riverwalk. I paid $155 a night last month. The Amerisuites has a nice location right on the river although a bit of a walk to the actual Riverwalk.
Apr 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Tess

We're all booked into the Crowne Plaza--not on the trolley line but think it will be fine. I was happy with the dance instructor's decision since we have Holiday Inn points to burn and will only have to pay for one night's stay.

Has anyone stayed here?

Apr 24th, 2005, 09:46 PM

It was until recently an Adam's Mark property, is very convenient to Municipal Auditorium. I think you will be quite pleased!