Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which route out of Chicago to Wisconsin on a Friday night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Chicago Midway on a Friday evening, and need to travel to Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin. We want to get out of the Chicago area just a bit before stopping at a hotel for the night,so that we don't have to drive so far the following day. We were thinking of Madison, but Milwaukee is a bit closer. I know the traffic will be bad either way, but is one way better than the other? The Milwaukee route is a bit further to LDF overall, according to MapQuest, but I'm wondering if it is worth it just to get settled a bit earlier after already traveling so long that day. We'd like to experience a fish fry that night, if that makes any difference.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Hi!
My suggestion would be to hop on 290 West ( aka as the Eisenhower). Take that to 294 North, then to 94 west to Milwaukee. No matter which way you cut it you'll hit some traffic going around Chicago. We have found that this route is best for us when we fly oiut of Midway. ( We live in the Milwaukee area).
Don't worry about Milwaukee or Madison traffic. We don't have rush hours in Wisconsin, we have rush minutes. Our traffic is never bad.
I have a "local" secret, for Fish Fry. Go to Serb Hall ( Mapquest 55th and Oklahoma). It's where all of Wisconsinites go at one time or another. Very few tourist even kow about it. Definitly stay in the Milwaukee area. Madsion is only 1 1/2 hours from Milwaukee anyway, and why add more stress to an already busy day.
Because we aren't a super busy city our hotels are all nice. As a matter of fact, after Serb Hall, mapquest hotels in the following areas, Brown Deer, Brookfield, Bayside and/or Sherwood. These communities are all just off of the expressway and half way in between everywhere.
As far as LDF. DRESS WARM!!!!
We in WI think that anything above 0 is a heatwave
Any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. Hope this helps and WELCOME TO WISCONSIN! Ya Der Hey!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions Gomom! We're coming in the middle of June, so I'm hoping the weather will be a little warmer. I think the average shows about 70 degrees - hopefully not too cold for my son to swim in the lake. Coming from central CA where the weather is too warm (for us) at that time of the year, I think it will feel really nice. We're going to a family camp that I read about some time ago. This is really just an adventure for us, as we really know nothing about the area. I'm a little worried about mosquitoes and/or black flies - but I know some years can be bad and others not so bad - so what the heck (like I said, this is an adventure). We'll be bring the spray and have fun. The driving advice really helps. I'm using a free flight through SW airlines...otherwise I'd pick a closer destination to the north woods of WI. I'm finding rental cars a little high right now, so I've been trying out different ideas to work around that - but no luck so far.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
kp

I have to agree that Serb Hall is very well known for their fish fry! It seems that all of SE Wisconsin goes out for fish on Friday which means there can be very long lines at the most popular spots.
Places west of Milwaukee which are also known for their fish fry are The Golden Mast (Okauchee) and the Gasthaus (Waukesha). I'm afraid that I haven't lived in the area for many years so I haven't eaten at either location lately.

The advantage of staying in Madison is that it's easy to get on 39/51 for your trip "up north".

Enjoy your trip--
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Hi again
Boy, it might be too cold for swimming. Our lakes aren't usually "swim ready" unitl July. Don't despair though, we have indoor water parks all over "up nort".
In LDF,drive over to Minoqua and take a drive through the reservation. Pecks Petting farm is o.k. too, but it's been awhile since I've been there. ( My parents used to own a cottage up there). Ask what a Hodag is.
Because we've had alot of days below freezing, consecutivley(sic), you might not experience black flies or mosquitos as much as you think. When we have deep freezes like this year, it has a tendency to kill off the larvae. But a false sense of security won't help once your on your way, so like you said, pack up the Avon Skin So Soft and come on over! I think too,you'll find that we are a happy and talkative bunch. You can pretty much strike up a conversation anywhere, anytime and we will talk back The last thread mentioned about Golden Mast and GastHaus, those both are very good choices too. We live only 5 miles from the Golden Mast.
I think the fun part for your son would be to try to pronounce all our Indian names communities, as you are driving through. Waukesha, Oconomowoc, Chenequa, Lac Butts De Mortes, (my favorite)(sounds like: bute-a-more)
Unfortunatley I don't know much about rental cars in the area. I know that when we've rented in Chicago, it's usually 2 times more than when we rent up here in Milwaukee and then drive down. What about Midway to Milwaukee, drop off car,and then rent from Milwaukee. I know, a hassle. Just trying to think of an inexpensive way for you to do the car thing.
Have a great time!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

The fish fry sounds great. The places mentioned have an actual fry, right - not a fish boil? I've heard both mentioned, and the boil doesn't sound that great.

I'm still looking at rental car options, but I hadn't thought of that Gomom. I'll look into it.

We have a little time on the drive up north. I think it will take us about 4-4/1/2 hours from Madison or Milwaukee. We can't check in at camp until 4PM. Any suggestions on what to see or do with 3-5 hours that day? We also have more time the day we head back down at the end of our stay, since our flight home is the next morning. I was thinking of maybe going a different route to see something new. It will be a longer drive that way, so I want to make sure it is worth it. I noticed there are only a few waterparks with admission open to the public (not guests). Although my son would probably still swim even if the water is cold, I thought it might be more comfortable to swim in a little warmer waters for at least a couple of hours. He loved doing this at the Great Wolf Lodge in VA. Does anyone have an opinion as to which one is better - The Waters of Minocqua or Chula Vista at the Dells?

While at camp, we'll have the option to go out for a driving trip or two if we want. What would you suggest in the area where we are? We'll check out the drive through the reservation, and the other activities very near us. We're sort of close to the Michigan border, but is the UP of Michigan too far?

I'm bringing my dad, who is quite the fisherman. We've never fished for the kind of fish you have in Wisconsin, though. The camp supervisor suggested he bring a little tackle and then buy a cheap pole when we get up there. I guess you can rent a trolling motor nearby, as well. I noticed there are some nearby guides. With so many lakes nearby, we don't really know where to start. Any suggestions about fishing in general while we are there?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:02 PM
kp

Michigan UP is very close.
Check the Wisconsin DNR web-site for very good info. about nearby state parks and fishing info.
Copper Falls State Park is nearby and could easily be done along with a trip to Lake Superior or the UP of Michigan.

Chequamegon is a national forest. Check their web-site for maps etc.

I stayed at Chula Vista before they updated--so I have no current info. I have stayed at the Kalahari--also in WI Dells. The Kalahari is very nice (Americas largest indoor waterpark) and does offer day passes--about $34 each, the waterpark opens at 10AM. The Dells isn't very far from Madison.
If you decide on a side trip to the Dells--Hwy 23 will take you over to 51/39.
I have no info. about The Waters of Minocqua.

You mentioned mosquitos and black flies. Deer ticks are a greater concern because they can transmit Lymes Disease. Use a good insect repellent and check yourself and your clothing when you come in from a walk.

Lakes may be very cold--my first case of frostbite was from trying to waterski in mid-May. The ice had been off the lake for just over a week.

Northern WI is a beautiful part of the state--I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

If you tell us what you would like to see/do on some side trips we could probably come up with some suggestions.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM
kp

Sorry--I forgot to add that Yes--we are talking about fried fish.
You usually will find a fish boil in the Door County area (the thumb of WI).
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Oh good - I'm glad it's fried fish! I'm glad you mentioned the deer ticks, kp. We're used to those around here, so we'll be prepared. The water does sound cold - I guess I'd better not let my son swim too long in it. I've never heard of anyone gettting frostbite from swimming in cold water - yikes! We do get some really cold water in the Lake Tahoe area, but nobody I know has been too tempted to swim in it for very long. I'm thinking it will be about the same for Wisconsin in June. I'm checking into the places and ideas you mentioned. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after I do a little more research. I think we definitely have to check out at least some of the UP after traveling all that way.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Drive to Rockford Illinois then Madison WI then straight north. There is no need to go through Milwaukee first (I live S. Milw.) All the suggestions are nice but it is a long drive north to be playing around. For current Chicago traffic status http://www.gcmtravel.com/gcm/maps_chicago.jsp

"We have a little time on the drive up north. I think it will take us about 4-4/1/2 hours from Madison or Milwaukee" Plan on a lot more than 4 - 4 1/2. 1 1/2 Milwaukee to Madison. Probably pushing 3 hours Chicago to Madison.

The Lakes may never be swim ready up there. Swimming can be brisk and refreshing. Try to hear the call of the Loon. A North Woods favorite.

Flies? Beware of ticks and Lyme disease. My Brother in law got it last year. Ask the locals at any quick stop what to use for bug spray. Key ingredient DEET. Probably the same is available in CA.
http://users.bestweb.net/~habitat/LymeTicks.htm http://www.uwsp.edu/grantsup/student...nsonCurtis.htm http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/eek/cr...ect/ticked.htm

It can be safely said that the North Woods is all about wildlife. According to the Trail Coordinator Susan Foot Martin of the WI DNR Wisconsin is tied with Alaska as the 3rd largest destination State for wild life viewing. Behind #2 Minnesota and # 1 Virginia. You will have several of the best of the best sites nearby on the BRAND NEW as of 2004 Great Wisconsin Birding & Nature Trail. (“new” as a man made cohesive nature viewing plan anyway)
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/public...ods_Region.pdf and http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/birds/trail.htm

Fishing ? I learned from a friend that I swear owns every lure made by man! He uses none of them, they are for show. Rather we catch tons of fish while watching the others perform the prescribed techniques as shown on fishing shows and then watch them go home fishless. It is very complicated -NOT! Rent a small boat, row boat is fine. Buy some night crawlers from the locals. Row the shore line some 15-20 feet out and cast the worm up against the shore and slowly retrieve. Childs play and guaranteed success. If you must cast with a lure then use a Ľ ounce Panther Martin spinner and a suitable rod sized to that lure.

Enjoy the north woods many do love it!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM

I would go with the suggestion to head up to Rockford and then over the border to Wisconsin. That would get you on the direct path to Lac du Flambeau. There's lots of hotels around Janesville or Beloit (just over the border in Wisconsin). A great place just west of Beloit is New Glarus -- a Swiss town that truly has kept it's Swiss heritage. A very different kind of town but worth at least a quick view if you have the time, either the next morning or Friday night. And yes, the traffic on 90 West is bumper to bumper, at least through 6:30 pm. I know the same is true of 294 going North to Milwaukee - bumper to bumper. Especially on a Friday night -- everyone wanting to leave Chicago to go to Wisconsin!! Can't recommend a fish fry but I know there's plenty around once you hit the Wisconsin border from any direction.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM

ps To enhance the drive, note that there are basically 2 climates in Wisconsin resulting in different flora and fauna. Chicago to Wisconsin dells with reveal one. Around the dells is Aldo Leopold country (A Sand County Almanac is a book written by him) The best thing about the Dells is the Dells so take a “Duck Boat” tour if you do stop.

Then you will enter the so called tension zone where these 2 environments mingle (runs on a line from roughly the Dells to green Bay and is as wide as about 2 hours drive north of the Dells) This zone then gives way to the Predominately pine forested region. Your camp will be in this region.

There is one more geographical area that is quite charming and well worth a trip through. Maybe on the way home from the camp. West more or less of the Dells to the Mississippi River is the Coulee or driftless Region. You could drive to Chicago by going to LaCrosse, along the Mississippi to the Wisconsin river and Follow it back to Madison, then to Beloit and then Chicago. The Coulee Region is the most attractive region in the whole state any time of year. The ice age glaciers did not grind this region flat and it is more rugged. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulee_Region
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 07:36 AM

You're about an hour east of our summer place. I've been going there every year since I was a baby.

The area is beautiful and pretty wild. Expect to see loons, bald eagle and white tail deer.

Holly is right, don't bother with expensive lures, nightcrawlers are all you need.

Day trips you might want to do:

Bayfield, cozy and the gateway to the Apostle Islands. If you decide to take the ferry across to Madeline Island, take the car, the state park is in the far side of the island.

Duluth, MN downtown, the fresh water aquarium, the lift bridge and Peninsula state park.

Hayward, WI the lumberjack championships are there. I don't think they're till July, but it is a nice day trip.

Another fish fry place is Mayers, it's about a mile from Serb Hall. Serb Hall is an experience though.

Driving straight to Madison would cut about an hour total out of your drive time though.

Post again if you want more info.

Now you've got me looking at the pictures I have of up north and wishing!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:05 AM

Holly,

Sounds like a great trip. I have a couple of questions. How old are your kids and how late on Friday night will you be arriving at Midway?

Depending, you might want to skip the Fish Fry and concentrate on your trip. Traffic could add 1-2 hours versus what you see on MapQuest for Friday.

I'm from Chicago and now live in Madison with our 4 kids. I'll try to pass along my ideas as your trip gets closer.

Kevin
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 09:44 AM

My dad and I enjoyed the Jet Boats in the Dells. Guaranteed to be a more exciting ride than the Ducks. You will get soaking wet! Lots of fun. I think this is who we used: http://www.dellsjetboats.com/

Reading everyone's descriptions of northern Wisconsin makes me want to go ....
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM

Honestly, our State Motto is Welcome to Wisconsin...Come Smell Our Dairy Air
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've been debating whether or not to book a different flight that will take us out of the Chicago traffic... and a little bit closer to our destination. I haven't found any great prices yet, though. I'm keeping our scheduled flight for now, but checking back each day for any lower fares that might present themselves. I can always save my free SW flight for another trip.

We're arriving in Chicago at 4:30PM as it stands now. I know -that's in the worst of the rush hour traffic - hence my search for something better!

I appreciate the fishing advice - and so does my dad. When you use the nightcrawlers for fishing, do you just let the boat float or do you need to anchor? The camp we are staying at provides a rowboat for each cabin, so that works out well. We're really looking forward to hearing the haunting call of the loon!

Kevin - My son is 11. I'm leaving the older one at home this time and taking both of my parents. He'll be kept busy most of the time at camp, but it would be fun to get away and do a few other things, so any kid-friendly (and senior-friendly) suggestions are great - thanks. I had a student a couple of years ago who moved to Wisconsin at the end of the year. I think it might have been Madison. I'm trying to get her address. I thought it would be fun to see her again.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:12 AM

Holly,

That timing is tough. On summer weekends it seems like the whole Chicagoand area goes to Wisconsin for the weekend. Just like Highway 50 to Tahoe.

Coming from CA, it won't feel so late to you on Friday so you could manage Midway to Madison. You might want to eat first to delay your start until 6:30 or so. Or, you could head west on I88 and then catch 39 straight north to Rockford. Not nearly so much traffic on that route.

I'd suggest Madison for Friday night. On Saturday morning you can visit the country's best farmer's market on the Capital Square and pick up lots of goodies to take up north. You could also go to the Vilas Zoo which is free and very doable in 90 minutes to 2 hours. Or, just walk along the lake and see State Street.

Bid for 3* downtown hotels on Priceline and you'll get nice rooms for $45-50.

You won't have traffic on Saturday and you'll enjoy the drive up.

Kevin
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

I think Madison is a better place to stay since it will lessen our overall drive time. I had noticed the great hotel rates on Priceline, when I was looking into staying in Milwaukee. Now I'll look more closely at Madison instead. I guess we'll have to pass on the fish fry until the following Friday night. We would like to kill some time eating dinner while we wait for the traffic to lighten up. What recommendations do you have for a place to eat dinner after we pick up our rental car and head out from MDW? The farmer's market is a great suggestion, Kevin! We have to bring our own food into this camp, so it will be nice to have some fresh goodies (for the drive up, as well).

Sobolik and kp - would you believe my dad is now being treated for Lyme Disease? This all happened since the warnings in your replies to my post. He got a tick right under his knee (that he just had replaced a few weeks ago)! He is 72 years old, and you just can't get him to sit still. He was out fiddling with the woodpile when he got it. Anyway...this little incident reinforces the need for spray to keep the little buggers away!
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM

quote -I appreciate the fishing advice - and so does my dad. When you use the nightcrawlers for fishing, do you just let the boat float or do you need to anchor? The camp we are staying at provides a rowboat for each cabin, so that works out well. We're really looking forward to hearing the haunting call of the loon! end quote

Fishing - Some observations- Fish like food above all else, beside staying alive and safe thus hang out where other stuff hangs out (future food). Rocky cliff like shore has a limited food habitat supplying the water compared to and extensive marshy varied shore. Not much food drops out of the sky in the middle of the lake unless weeds lay not far below the surface.
Anchor if the action warrants or poke around to find a productive spot. Listen and observe, do not put a great deal of stock in what others say especially if it is a generalized statement. Discern if the person really knows or just talks. Do not just do what everyone else is doing. My friend cast in water you could see bottom at high noon - no fish there according to books and TV - pulled in a mounting size Bass, I and my bother went to the fishing hole where his friends car was already parked. Brother told me tie on this small crappy jig and we will tweak his friend. We arrived asked what was going on, how many, none was the reply. We jigged 6 inches from shore along a cement wall object and pulled in several pan fish. They had been there 3 hours and caught nothing. Do not just do what everyone else is doing. be thoughtful and creative. Feel what is going on at the business end of the line. Make adjustments if you cant feel it. Don’t use too much weight and be creative. Yellow canned corn is a killer bait to use for pan fish, stocked trout etc. Take a can with you along with the worms. A gold egg hook alone is great for catching minnow size “bait”
30 minutes plus or minus before a weather front rolls through can deplete all your bait because the action is so fast. Rare but does happen. Every spring fish spawn, every summer is the season of plenty of food. Every year about Oct 15-30 my lake is alive with small northern pike just tearing up the food chain getting ready for the impeding freeze I guess. A pink fluorescent Panther Martin spinner or a rooster tail spinner tears them up in turn. (once the lure sinks beyond sight in the brown water all colors turn to black-read Scientific Angler book, so jigs\lures should be fluorescent green\chartreuse or pink, don’t worry about colors too much they turn black anyway)

Use you head, read the situation and play it by ear. Take it slow and enjoy the journey. The journey is what will be remembered. I caught and mounted a lowly 9” Bluegill because the journey with my grandfather was special memory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -