Which route from Crater Lake to Crescent City, Ca

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten such good help from this forum and have one last question(I think).

When we leave Crater Lake we were intending to drive to Crescent City via Rt 62 to Eagle Point, rt 234 to Gold Hill, rt 5 to Grants Pass, then 199 to Crescent City. (want to allow time on Calif 199 to enjoy Stout Grove (redwoods). 2 nights in Crescent City doing the Redwoods Natl park, Ave of Giants etc the next day.

Now I am thinking about taking a much LONGER route to get to Crescent City. Have read so much about route 138 between Diamond Lake and Roseburg and all the scenic waterfalls etc.
SOOOO...
Am I crazy to think of doing this route: Crater Lake to Roseburg via rt 138; catching Rt 5 at Roseburg to Grants Pass; then 199 to Crescent City??? I would still want to get a peek of Stour Grove (off 199 in Ca)

This second choice would be at least 2 more hours of driving. Would we still have enough time to adequately enjoy the drive on Rt 138 and view the waterfalls, short hikes etc??

Last option would be to only go to Grants Pass for the night if doing the Rt. 138 option.
Hate to do this, though, as I was hoping to gain 1 night to add on to out stay in Newport in a free condo on the bay. (seems a shame to only stay 1 night in Newport in a waterfront/Bayview condo.
Have decided we are not able to do a cruise on CL (too strenuous) so would probably leave CL Lodge about 9.

Which plan is workable? or makes more sense?

thanks to all.
Old May 17th, 2015, 01:49 PM

I don't think adding 2 hours sounds like fun. You could also go hiking at Oregon Caves National Monument, and I'd rather do that and do the cave tour, than spend the extra two hours in the car.
Old May 17th, 2015, 02:53 PM

I think I would spend the extra night in Newport if you have free lodging.

I would also rather do Hwy 138 than the Oregon Caves. Many of the waterfalls are short easy walks from the car.

I think the caves tour could be difficult for someone in their 80s. When you get partway in, there is a lot of stooping as the ceiling is low and the ground can be uneven.

If you are looking for a nice place to stay, just south of Crescent City is the historic Requa Inn. They have a very nice restaurant. Just up from the road from the Inn is the Klamath River overlook. There are some nice trail up there and you can frequently see whales feeding down below
Old May 17th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have the July 10 date reserved at Crater Lake Lodge?
Another route I would consider would be Rt. 138 east and US97 north through Chemult to Rt. 58.
Just off 58 west of Willammette Pass but before you get to the tunnel is the paved road to Salt Creek Falls. Salt Creek Falls is Oregon's second highest falls and the walk is to a viewpoint at the top of the falls.
There is construction with 24 hour flagging through the tunnel but the wait is rarely more than 20 minutes.
Rt. 58 hits I-5 just south of Eugene.
If you wanted to avoid US 199 you can go north on I-5 from Roseburg and take Rt. 138 west to Elkton and Rt. 38 into Reedsport. About 5 miles east of Reedsport you can see Roosevelt elk at Dean's Creek Elk Viewpoint. I saw about 60 on the far side of the meadow on Sunday 5/3 when I came through.
Old May 18th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. This is a portion of our schedule that is in question:
July 8 and 9...Bend
July 10..Crater Lake Lodge (reserved)
July 11 and 12...Crescent City , Ca

From Crescent C we will work our way up the coast back to Portland.

Need to determine the route to drive on July 11 from CL to Crescent City.
The LONG route would be to do the North Umpqua Scenic Highway (rt. 138).Then down 5 to 199 to Crescent City.

Most efficient route would be from CL south on 62 thru Grants Pass, 199 to CC.

IS THE NORTH UMPQUA SCENIC HIGHWAY (rt 138) to Roseburg WORTH
the extra driving?
or
Is Rt 62 south to Grants Pass also scenic??
How much extra time would be entailed with "reasonable" stops along the way to do the longer route??
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:45 PM

Rt. 62 is scenic (forested) until you get to Prospect. If you do go that way, turn off on Rt. 234 to go through Gold Hill (avoiding traffic in Medford).
If you go through Rt. 138 west to Roseburg you could also go south on I-5 and then west on 42 to Coquille and 425 to Bandon.
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Since no one seems to be really excited and encouraging about the 138 route, I think it best to just stick to the original plan and head south of 62.
Glad to hear that it is a pretty drive to Prospect. When we get to California on 199 will we have lots of Wow points as we hit the redwoods?
Old May 18th, 2015, 06:58 PM

I think there's still a very old black & white police car parked in Obrien to slow people down.
You may see some Coast Redwoods along 199 soon after you enter California.
Old May 18th, 2015, 07:46 PM

I think Hwy 138 is a gorgeous drive but in order to really appreciate you have to stop at some of the waterfalls. Some can be reached by just a short walk from the car, others require more of a trek.

I have been the other route but honestly don't remember much about it as I always go 138.

I assumed, since you had a time concern, you would not be stopping for sightseeing-
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

tomfuller...Have marked O'Brien on the map!! Will take your warning seriously!!

Sunburn...If going 138 we WOULD do some stopping to see the waterfalls to make the route worthwhile. It would just delay getting to out final destination by about 4 hours! If doing 138 we would probably have a 9+ hour day!
But don't want to do that unless I sense more enthusiasm from posters.
Old May 19th, 2015, 12:18 PM

I am enthusiastic about 138 and of the other posters on this thread, I might be the only one who has hiked into any of the falls.

I used to do a quick drive by too but a couple of summers ago I went for a weekend with my hiking group and hiked into many of them plus a day hike along the river.

I was amazed at what I had been missing all this time, but I understand you have a long day ahead and which ever way you go, will be beautiful.

You mentioned you still have questions about Bend-- anything we can help with?
Old May 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, sunbum....I am OK with Bend. staying with friends so they can also be helpful while we are there.
Also, can make the decision about 138 when in Crater Lake and how much energy I (the driver) have.
Old May 19th, 2015, 03:29 PM

Well if you go 62, stop at the Rogue River Gorge - there is a paved trail. Not a hike, just a little walk with magnificent views

http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_rogue_river_gorge.html
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sunbum! I copied and pasted info about this. Link was helpful. Will stop for sure if we go this way.