Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Restaurants in Philly? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-restaurants-in-philly-478312/)

emhg89 Oct 4th, 2004 08:25 AM

Which Restaurants in Philly?

We are going to Philadelphia soon - Stephen Starr's restaurants are popular - which one should be go to besides Buddakan? The ones we are considering (taking our 10yr.old well behavied daughter with us on the earlier side 6-7ish) Some take no reservations likes Jones, Continental. Tangerine? Also wondering about Matyson and Fork? Looking for good food, nice casual atmosphere.We have 4 nights - Buddakan is one. Looking for suggestions.

AHaugeto Oct 4th, 2004 09:16 AM

I'd recommend Pasion!, which is near the corner of Walnut and 15th. Great latin-american fusion food, and a great environment. They have a website - www.pasionrestaurant.com - and since I was there a year and a half ago it would appear that the prices have gone up considerably (whoa...) But the ceviche was succulent, the mojitos tasty, and the skirt steak enormous... Have a great trip!

pb_and_j Oct 4th, 2004 09:35 AM

I haven't been to a Starr restaurant I haven't liked, but sounds like Jones would be a good fit. You shouldn't have any problems there or at Continental around 6ish. Buddakhan is indeed great.

Where are you staying? Looking for any particular type of food?

elle Oct 4th, 2004 10:19 AM

I think Jones is probably the most kid-friendly of all of the Starr restaurants. She might also enjoy that atmosphere at Tangerine. The Continental(s), to me, have much more of a bar vibe than a restaurant vibe.

We ate at Starr's newest, Washington Square, last week. It's in a fabulous art deco building right on the Square and the outdoor area is really lovely. It's targeted at a more sophisticated crowd than the Continentals. I'd say the outdoor area is more casual than the inside and it has braziers, so even if there's a bit of a nip in the air you can be quite cozy outside.

The food was eclectic and excellent--the menu offers a lot of flexibility for those who like to taste around, with "small dishes" and "bigger dishes". They also serve brunch on Saturdays and Sundays.

For Matyson, I'd recommend reserving ASAP. It's a small place and can be tough to get in. Fork should be a bit easier. Fork's atmosphere is also more sophisticated than casual, but then, it's all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

dbenya Oct 4th, 2004 10:26 AM

Another fun Stephen Starr place is El Vez (13t & Sansom). Early is a good idea there, as well as at both Buddakhan and Tangerine, which turn seriously grown up after the dinner hour. The lack of reservations at Jones and Continental are not a problem if you're eating just before/after the rush. If you're out and about, a lovely spots to stop for a treat are the Pink Rose Pastry Shop (4th & Bainbridge) or Petit Four (3rd & Race).

emhg89 Oct 4th, 2004 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone.If you had to pick between Matyson or Fork - which one? Like more casual atmosphere - read somewhere Matyson is pottery barnish which I like. Checked out Audrey Claire's web it appears to be Mediteranian like Tangerine. Also thinking about places like Monk's or Marathon Grill for lighter fair for dinner/lunches? We will definitely go to Reading Terminal and Jim's to try Philly Cheese steak which I don't know if I will like it - I tend not to like greasy heavy cheesy foods. Though we like really great thin,crispy pizza - heard Lombardi's is the best.

mei Oct 4th, 2004 11:09 AM

I find that all the Starr restaurants are fine for my kids(10+). They love Jones, but I don't think the food is quite as good there. They really like The Continental as well as Monk's and Philadelphia Fish. I have also heard great reports on Starr's newest restaurant, Washington Square. If I were you, I'd skip Jim's Steak and go to Tony Luke's for hot roast pork and provolone. It won't make you feel so gross

elle Oct 4th, 2004 11:33 AM

Hmmmm, when I think of Fork, I think of brocade for some reason--maybe the curtains and banquettes are green brocade? So there's a bit of formality in the air, even though the service is kind of casual. Fork has always appealed to me more in the winter than in summer--I think it's a combination of the dark fabrics and a slightly heartier menu. Matyson has a much lighter feel--Audrey Claire has an even more spare style.

If you're going to be spending anytime in the Art Museum area (at the Franklin Institute, for example), check out Illuminare for crisy, wood-oven pizzas. The interior is gorgeous, too--lots of copper, with an Arts and Crafts feel to it. But casual and definitely kid-friendly. The rest of their food can be mediocre, but the pizzas are always excellent.

Another good place for lunch or brunch--Beau Monde at 6th and Bainbridge (just off South). It's a Breton creperie with a really gorgeous interior. You choose the type of crepe you want--savory or sweet--and then you can add as many or as few ingredients as you'd like. It's one of my favorite places. I've seen plenty of families in there.

yk Oct 4th, 2004 12:34 PM

Stephen Starr has opened up his 2nd Continental branch - at 19th & Chestnut. It is slightly bigger in size than the one in Old City. However, my friends told me that it's still very crowded. But I think if you go early, you should be able to get in. I personally really like Continental. If you want to splurge, you can always head to Morimoto - they take reservations but may be hard to come by.

I would pick Matyson over Fork. If you go to Matyson, don't forget to get their polenta w/mushroom appetizer (not sure if still on menu). It is to die for!

Audrey Claire doesn't take reservations, so be sure to get there early (like at 6p) or expect to wait a long time. Its sister restaurant, Twenty Manning (slightly more upscale with alcohol license), does take reservations and food is great. But inside is a bit dark and can be loud (but shouldn't be a problem around 6-7p). If you go, make sure you save room for their chocolate fondue!
http://www.twentymanning.com/

I wouldn't bother with Marathon Grill unless you really want diner food. Monks is good, but again, be sure to get there early (5:30p-6) or you'll be waiting for a long time.

stever Oct 4th, 2004 12:58 PM

As a side topic, I'm taking my wife to Philly for New Years Eve and staying at the FS Philly. We planned to go to Ruth Chris there for NY Eve. Is that a decent place in Philly too, like here in Bethesda, MD?

She LOVES this restaurant, but if there is something similiar and less chain-like that DOESN'T have a "special" aka 'higher priced' New Years menu, we might be up for that too.

Steve
Maryland

dbenya Oct 4th, 2004 01:37 PM

Well, speaking of steak *and* Stephen Starr -- he's supposed to be opening a steak house this week on Rittenhouse Square called Barclay Prime. The menu will include a cheesesteak made of sliced Kobe beef, with Taleggio cheese (with an ultra-rich 48 percent fat content), shaved truffles, sauteed foie gras, caramelized onions and heirloom tomatoes on homemade brioche brushed with homemade truffle butter. Happy New Year, indeed.

elle Oct 4th, 2004 01:38 PM

Sorry, I'm not much of a steak eater so I couldn't really report on the quality.

There are definitely places that let you order a la carte on New Year's Eve. If you tell us what it is that she likes so much about Ruth's Chris, maybe we can come up with something similar that's "less chain-like".

The restaurants in the Four Seasons are pretty fabulous, btw.

emhg89 Oct 4th, 2004 02:00 PM

Does the new Continental require reservations? It didn't say on their web site? Has anyone eaten at Kibitz in the city? Are the sandwiches really good?

dbenya Oct 4th, 2004 02:15 PM

My husband, a dedicated deli sandwich eater, came home raving about Kibbitz last week. It sounds as though the portions are Carnegie Deli-sized -- he and the fellow he met for lunch split a sandwich.

dbenya Oct 4th, 2004 02:20 PM

Also, Kibbitz is right across the street from Jones.

emhg89 Oct 4th, 2004 03:34 PM

Sounds Great! When in N.Y.C. We love the Carnagie Deli! Being from the Boston area really good deli's are special!

stever Oct 4th, 2004 05:01 PM

Thanks Elle - she's not a huge steak eater but likes a fine, lean Filet Mignon once every 6 months and a nice salad with her dinner. Typically at Ruth Chris we'll split a Filet Mignon, split a salad, and split a Portobello Mushroom platter w/ lots of great veggies AND we'll ... you guessed it, split a dessert -what else! She really likes the ambiance of the place and the always excellent service. We'd be open for other restaurants that would be like this and THIS good, but I doubt they'd appeal to her as much quite frankly. Sometimes known quantity is a good thing! No surprises, plus, we've never been to the Philly Ruth Chris Steakhouse. We DO plan to eat at the FS the 2nd night of our trip, though with entrees from $40-60, it better be really good! My gosh that's alot. The NY Eve dinner alone is $225 p/p! We don't eat enough food to make that worthwhile and we don't even drink.

Steve
Maryland

pb_and_j Oct 5th, 2004 05:43 AM

The FS is very good, but the service is just unreal. They materialize out of nowhere precisely when you need them.

The new Continental does not take reservations. But same rules - come early, come late, or be prepared to wait! The new one has some fun things to see - the downstairs sunken booths, the upstairs hanging basket seats, the lounge upstairs behind the bar with day-glow orange and green ... bear? frog?? stuffed chairs.

mei Oct 5th, 2004 07:06 AM

I would suggest Audrey Claire, Pif...or really yummy is Django (you must call 30 days before you plan to go for dinner, and you still may have trouble getting in)

yk Oct 7th, 2004 09:46 AM

A follow-up to dbenya's post above regarding Stephen Starr's newest restaurant Barclay Prime, which serves Philly cheesesteaks for $100.

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/10/06....ap/index.html