Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Best guide book for Utah National Parks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd appreciate suggestions for a good guide to Zion, Bryce, and north rim of Grand Canyon. Or are the brochures that one gets at the parks themselves sufficient? I've often had guidebooks where the trail descriptions, etc. are pretty awful; sometimes they're terrific. I'd love to know what book(s) to buy. Thank you!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:29 AM

poss,
Check nps.gov for detailed info about each park. When planning our trip last summer, I used this site and Fodor's travel forum and AAA tour guide books which are free to AAA members. I did purchase a few books, but found they weren't necessary, as I had already gotten the best info for free!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Ditto to everything BBEAR said. I just came back from the GC, Zion and Bryce and found all my early research (nps, fodors, etc.) and the pamphlets given out at each park to be plenty. However, I did also bring along one book from my local library -- Frommer's National Parks of the American West -- and found it a good one-stop resource to have on the trip (rather than lugging along several different guidebooks.)
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:30 AM

hi poss;

Look for UTAH"S National Parks by
Ron Adkison It has everything you need to know and then some..
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM

poss:

I personally like the Moon Travel Handbooks, eg. "Utah Handbook." They seem to be "middle of the road," by that I mean neither real up-scale nor real budget. There is at least a brief description of many good trails in the parks, and then you can supplement that with maps, etc directly from the parks. I believe there's one for most states and also some strictly for some of the national parks eg. Yellowstone, which naturally gives more detailed info. I find AAA to be much too vague.