Which rental company for SUV in alaska

Sep 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Which rental company for SUV in alaska

Had planned on using thrify or alamo for suv rental in alaska but just got off rental cars(good or bad) on the general interest site. Alamo in general around country reviewed badly often the worst one they had ever used. Any comments or experience with alamo or thrifty? Thanks
Sep 19th, 2004, 10:13 AM

I have rented from Alamo, Thrifty, Payless, National and independents out of Anchorage. No problems with any of them. But if your reason for the SUV is other than normal paved Alaska Highway driving- (which a SUV is not necessary) then you need to look at the limits and restrictions of individual companies.
Sep 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

BudgetQueen
thanks for the info. They only reason going with suv is that's what we have at home and my husband feels like he's dragging the pavement in anything else! What quirks huh.
Sep 19th, 2004, 12:21 PM

Hey snorly, do you ever thank people who respond to you posts? Check this one
Author: snorky
Date: 09/10/2004, 11:06 pm
Message: We would like to stay in wilderness lodge for couple of days in june 2005Also anyone. Anyone have any experience with sadie cove or tutka wilderness lodge?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: tcapp
Date: 09/11/2004, 08:45 pm
Message: The only wilderness lodge I'm aware of is the Kenai Princess Lodge owned and operated by Princess Cruise Lines.
You don't have to be a cruise client to stay there, and we stayed at the one in Copper River and it was wonderful. This is not in Homer, but on the way. It dosen't mean there aren't more wilderness lodges; it just means this is the only one I'm aware of. If you can purchase a copy of The Milepost, available at most bookstores and there may also be a copy at your local library. This travel guide is truely a "must have" for anyone going to Alaska.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: BudgetQueen ([email protected])
Date: 09/11/2004, 09:36 pm
And it is far from a "wilderness" lodge. Every convenience. The only reason to stay there is for fishing. If you are into kayaking- Otter Cove Lodge is wonderful out of Homer.

Author: earlxx
Date: 09/12/2004, 05:46 am
Message: Tutka bay Wilderness Lodge is a fascinating place to visit for at least three days.
www.tutkabaylodge.com

Meals are included with your accommodations

2005 RATES

SILVER STAR
2 Nights $650/person

3 Nights $975/person

4 Nights $1300/person

5 Nights $1625/person

GOLD STAR
2 Nights $730/person

3 Nights $1095/person

4 Nights $1460/person
5 Nights $1825/person

Save 10% June 1 ? 10 and September 5 ? 15

Water TAXI: $70 per person roundtrip Homer-Tutka Bay-Homer

2% tax will be added.
Check in after 2 P.M. Check out by 9 A.M.

First meal is dinner on day of arrival; last meal is breakfast on day of departure.

Early arrivals and late departures will be at additional cost.
Except for the Gold Star cabin, accommodations will be assigned upon arrival.

Author: tcapp
Date: 09/12/2004, 02:20 pm
Message: I should have clarified that I was using Copper Princess Wilderness Lodge as an example of several Wilderness lodges that Princess Cruiselines ownes in Alaska. They also own one in Denali and one in Kenai which is closer to Homer, though not right at Homer.

Author: BudgetQueen ([email protected])
Date: 09/13/2004, 02:17 am
Message: Princess has "lodges" in Fairbanks, Denali Park entrance, mile 133 Parks Highway- McKinley Princess, Kenai Princess, Copper River Princess. However- I consider these far from a lodge experience and usually overpriced hotels. For further clairfication- Kenai Princess lodge is 130 miles from Homer.

If you let people know and thank them maybe you get more answers

Search this Thread