Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   WHICH PORT & TRIP - SEATTLE OR VANCOUVER (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-port-and-trip-seattle-or-vancouver-651585/)

lcohensales Oct 8th, 2006 07:59 AM

WHICH PORT & TRIP - SEATTLE OR VANCOUVER

We are going with a few families and are looking for the best itinerinary for a 7 day cruise. What ports are "must see" from Seattle or Vancouver? WHich has the beter itinerary? What side trips do you recommend. I am going crazy trying to plan this and any help is appreciated.

We plan to cruise on Princess at the end of June, and can't afford the smaller ships. We will definitely get balconies. Thanks.

traveller69 Oct 8th, 2006 08:21 AM

The itineraries from both ports are very similar so I don't think that is much of a consideration but Sailing out and into the port of Vancouver is so beautiful. I would definitely leave from Vancouver is the prices are similar.

BudgetQueen Oct 16th, 2006 05:47 AM

Princess has a poor itinerary on the round trip Seattle sailings. Superior is to sail round trip out of Vancouver with HAL being the winner, especially with their 2 glacier sailings of Tracy
Arm and Glacier Bay. Routing is important if you want scenery and Vancouver is definately the superior choice.

cd Oct 16th, 2006 06:22 AM

We loved our Cruise out of Vancouver. I can recommend everything that we did. We stayed two days in Vancouver before the sail, walked the downtown, English Bay and Stanley Park areas. Took Hal out of Vancouver with a balcony and viewed Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. First port was Juneau where we took and incrediable helicopter flight and landed on Herbert Glacier -the highlight of our trip. We also took a whale watching tour in Juneau with Capt Larry. Second port was Skagway where we rented a car and drove into the Yukon. We had drinks after before getting back on our ship at The Red Onion which was Skagway's most exclusive bordello during the Gold Rush. We then cruised Glacier Bay on the bow with hot m ulled wine. Third port was Ketchikan where we took a Misty Fjords tour on a seaplane with wilderness landing. After arriving back in Vancouver we rented another car and drove (via ferry) to Victoria BC for two days. Loved Victoria and Butchart Gardens.

Like I said,I can recommend everything we did as it was all wonderful! But I am sure there is much that is wonderful that we did not do. You will have a great vacation, hope this helps.

llello Oct 23rd, 2006 02:12 PM

Hi!
My husband and I just came back from a 7 night cruise on Royal Caribbean´s Radiance of the Seas. We chose it cause it wasnt a rondtrip. We departed from Seward and arrived in beautiful Vancouver. I recommend this as you get the chance to know more places. On the first day we went to the Hubbard Glacier, then we landed in Skagway, Juneau, Hoonah (Icy strait Point) and ketchikan. The ship was very nice, excelent crew, food was Ok.

happytrailstoyou Oct 23rd, 2006 02:16 PM

I read in the Seattle paper that one cruise line is moving back to Vancouver to give its slow-moving ships more time in scenic parts of Alaska.

Moongoddess Oct 24th, 2006 09:14 AM

Both Seattle and Vancouver are beautiful cities, with lots of fun things to do. You'll be happy in either one of them. I second BudgetQueen's advice: look at the cruise's overall travel route, ports of call, and ship amenities, and base your final decision on those factors.

trippinkpj Oct 24th, 2006 10:46 AM

I'm assuming you'll need to fly into either Vancouver or Seattle. I personaaly would take the cost difference into my consideration.

BudgetQueen Oct 25th, 2006 04:36 AM

It is EASY to transfer between the two cities. I most always fly into Seattle for half the price I get for Vancouver. I most often drive, one way cars available Hertz, National, Alamo, Budget, Avis. There is Quick Shuttle, cruiseline contracted transfers and Amtrak. Get in a day early.

NeoPatrick Oct 25th, 2006 04:44 AM

Budget Queen, that is interesting about one way rental cars. When we checked picking up in Seattle and dropping off in Canada (Vancouver) or vice versa, there were enormous drop off charges (or much higher than one way rates). In fact those fees surpassed the extra cost of flying to Vancouver for us.

johnthedorf Oct 25th, 2006 05:02 AM

As an ex-Seattle-ite I would fly into Seattle and take the train up to Vancouver. Relaxing and great scenery. Nuts to the car routine even though driving around in Europe is my preference I-5 is bland and boring. The exchange rate in Canada is favorable. You may even get to taste some of the fine Okanagan Wines.

BudgetQueen Oct 25th, 2006 11:48 PM

Rental rates for cars is in the $100-125 range. Well worth it for hundreds of dollars in savings for me on flights. Plus, excellent for sightseeing, hotel and meal options which can be extremely limiting without your own transportation.

I most always stay in Bellingham the night before cruising, then with a start by 9am, I've got a quick drive to downtown Vancouver and time for a half day of sightseeing. I am in no rush to get on a ship.

I agree I5 is boring, but efficient and direct.