Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which play or musical w/16yr old in Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting family in LaGrange (Chicago suburb) from 10/20 - 10/23. My daughter, who loves going to see shows, wants to see something while we're there. Forget Wicked, it's sold out - I realize I can get tickets from a broker, but they're going for $130 & up. A little too much for this trip.

I looked on www.chicagoplays.com last night, but there were so many shows I wasn't familiar with, so I thought I'd see if I can get a recommendation from someone. She would probably prefer a comedy or musical, nothing too serious.

Are some theaters better venues than others? We'd like something that feels like 'big city', since we don't have access to that at home.

I also considered Second City or ComedySportz as she adores improv. Any input on this? Is Second City too racy for a 16 year old?

Thanks for any help!
H
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:33 AM

On the plays on musicals I probably can't help much, as I haven't looked into what's currently playing.

I would think that most 16-year-olds would really enjoy Second City. Someone once suggested that if your kid watched and enjoys "The Daily Show" on Comedy Central, s/he would like Second City. Seems like a reasonable comparison to me. Occasionally there are skits that have sexual themes, but they're not overtly sexual or embarrassing. If it were a movie it would probably be rated somewhere between PG-13 and R. No nudity, of course, but some strong language. Political themes may be too much for teens that don't pay much attention to current events, but overall it's just good humor.

Another option would be Blue Man Group. It's silly fun, not at all deep, but definitely entertaining.

If she has any interest in ballet, the Joffrey ballet is doing A Midsummer Night's Dream while you're in town.

Hopefully others more in the know can jump in with more theater suggestions for you.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:49 AM

You might want to check ebay and craigslist for Wicked tickets. I was looking for some for NY and noticed many more available for Chicago, some seemed to be at face value or just a bit more.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:20 AM
JJ5

Wicked would be perfect and it would be well worth it to try to get tickets, regardless of being seated together.

I got a single (and others were available) last May about two weeks before. There is also a same day lottery thingee at the box office only. Try for that once you are here. People sometimes do not show up for their "held" tickets.

Ford Theater for the Performing Arts
(was formerly The Oriental)and it's at 24 West Randolph.

Blue Man Group is ok but the boys liked it much more than the girls did. Second City is not in the same class as Wicked, IMHO.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies.

jlm-mi, thanks for the info on Second City. Actually the Daily Show is one of my daughter's favorite shows, along with SNL, etc. That's one of the reasons I thought of that.

McLaurie - thanks for the ebay/craigslist idea. I will definately look.

JJ5- how does the lottery work? Do you go to the theatre late morning/early afternoon and put your name in? Any other info is appreciated!

H
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:39 AM
JJ5

There was just a thread on this, I'll try to find it and bring it up for you. Lots of luck with the search function here!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

I just did a quick check - no luck on ebay or craigslist.

What about Grand Hotel or Gypsy? Would you recommend either of these for a teen? If so, which one.

My eternal thanks again,
H
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
JJ5

I just put the show ticket thread on the top- check it out.

I haven't been to either of the other two shows. Gypsy has always been good in the past, but is it downtown?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:37 AM

We went to Wicked last week and got 7th row center for face at the box office. They release tickets that the cast won't be using last minute. We did the same thing for Spamalot with the same results. It's worth a try?
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM

I don't know the production you have of Gypsy but it's a great show with some classic music. That would be a good backup to Wicked imo.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

JJ5 - Thanks for topping that thread. I'll give a call to the theater and see what info I can get.

Regarding Gypsy, it's at the Porchlight Music Theatre at Theatre Building Chicago. Is anyone familiar with this theater?

Again, my sincere thanks!
H
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:08 AM
JJ5

They have a web page I went to as I had never heard of this theatre. But I am a South Sider so that doesn't mean anything.

But it's at 1225 W. Belmont and is a good 3 to 4 long block walk from the Red line or El stop. I don't know if the neighborhood is good for a walk like that- maybe someone from the North side would tell you.

I myself for that kind of a stay would try to stay downtown and enjoy all that is there. The Art Institute is an absolute must.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM

I hope nobody took my message to mean I think Blue Man Group is in the same league as Wicked. . Just that it is an entertaining show (several teen girls that were there the night we were enjoyed it very much) and would be fun if Wicked isn't an option.

The 1225 W. Belmont location is a few blocks south of Wrigley Field and a few blocks west of the Blue Man Group theater. We walked around there fine to go to dinner before the show (Blue Man) and to get back to the el after, around 11pm. The Belmont/Halsted area is full of bars, so there were a lot of people around at that time of night.

I got the impression that phieaglefan and her daughter wouldn't be staying in downtown Chicago at all, but in LaGrange, and would like to come in for a show. In that case, the difference between downtown and Wrigleyville areas wouldn't be particularly significant when choosing.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Phieaglefan, if you haven't completely made your mind up on which musical you want to see, here are the ones I'd recommend:

Purlie at the Goodman (which would be my first choice); The Great and Terrible Wizard of Oz at the Viaduct; or Macabaret at the Theatre Building.

If you wanted the "big city" vibe on the venue, the Goodman would be the closest to the mark. It doesn't have the presence of the Auditorium, Cadillac or Ford Center, but it is excellent and very convenient if you are coming in only for the day.

But, more importantly, the Goodman consistently provides some of the best entertainment in the city.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks princess - I also wondered about Purlie - have you seen it? I will keep it on my list.
H
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Purlie at the Goodman should be a great choice. When I saw they were doing it, it made me book a week in Chicago and I started from there! Looking forward to that almost as much as seeing Wicked and Grand Hotel again. Also doing some "heavier" stuff at Steppenwolf and elsewhere, but I think Purlie would be a great choice for you. Grand Hotel is a good show --quite adult -- how savvy is your 16 year old?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, Thanks for your reply. I will definately keep Purlie on the list.

It's funny, I never imagined that Grand Hotel would be questionable for her. Clever but racy she could handle, gross and blatant she could not.

Thanks again for the info!
H
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Phieaglefan, sorry, busy, busy, busy and didn't see this until now.

Seeing Purlie next week - but coworkers/friends in the office saw it and really enjoyed it!