Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which of these San Diego Hotel is nicer and a better location?

Notices

Old May 27th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in San Diego for a few days to see San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Downtown, Coronodo and LaJolla and I can stay at these resorts on points. Which is a nicer hotel in a better location?Embassy Suites Downtown (601 Pacific Coast Hwy), Residence Inn San Deigo/Mission Valley (1865 Hotel Circle South) or Residence Inn San Diego Downtown (1747 Pacific Coast Highway. Thanks so much! Your help is appreciated!
Old May 27th, 2006, 05:15 AM

I haven't been to the other hotels, but I have been to the Residence Inn Downtown. It was nice--Marriott converted an apt. bldg from the 1920's.
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:47 AM

Haven't been to any but the Embassy Suites (a long time aago) but it was nice and in a good location. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those (3) choices.
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:49 PM

You will be driving to the Zoo, Sea World, etc. no matter where you stay in SD, but if you stay at the Embassy Suites, you will be able to walk to at least a few things, such as the popular Gas Lamp Quarter with lots of restaurants and such. I think you can also take a ferry over to Coronado Island from nearby too. You wouldn't have these options if you stay at Hotel Circle, which is off the I-8 freeway and not really near anything except perhaps a shopping mall.

The Residence Inn on PC Highway is probably not walkable to Gas Lamp but from a driving standpoint is still in a fairly central location.

Andrew
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM

You might want to check parking rates in the downtown area. They can get very high, to see if that makes any difference. How many in your party? If only two, you might not need the suites. The suites is a good location, but kind of claustraphobic to me. But maybe that is just me. You also get the free breakfast and cocktail hour, if that helps with the decision. It is also walking distance to other activities like Seaport Village, and other resaurants and places for lunch, shopping, plays, etc.

Hotel Circle is in an area on Highway 8 that is about 14 hotels on both sides of the highway. Convenient, but not walking distance to things.

I don't know about the Residence Inn but we generally like Marriott's properties. Hope this helps.
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM

Embassy Suites would be my clear choice, easy walk to Gas Lamp District, the trolley stops that will take you to Old Town, even to the border. Easy walk to the seaport village area and several good restaurants, walk to the new baseball stadium even, or the whole waterfront area. Mission Valley you won't be able to walk to much of anything.
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, sounds like Embassy Suites it is! I appreciate it since we have to do this site unseen and am not familiar with the area.
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Doesn't have to be completely blind. Check this out:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...00339&t=h&om=1

Andrew