Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Which of these ND, SD, WY areas for horseback riding?
Notices

Which of these ND, SD, WY areas for horseback riding?

Mar 22nd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

Which of these ND, SD, WY areas for horseback riding?

We will be driving out West this summer. I think a morning or afternoon on horseback would be fun. My dilema is narrowing it to one area. We will be travelling through ND - Roosevelt National Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Mt. Rushmore/Custer area & the Black Hills. We have two boys ages 10 & 11. Any suggestions?
Mar 22nd, 2005, 11:28 PM

I've visited all four areas and they all have their unique beauty and charm.

Of the four, I'd vote for the Yellowstone area. It's been awhile, nearly 10 years, but we had a great family gathering at Absaroka Mountain Lodge. It's just a bit outside of Yellowstone on the way to Cody (site of the wonderful Buffalo Bill Museum).

The lodge put together a trail ride for those 6 and up, including a river fording. Very fun. We saw numerous moose. There were reports of grizzly sightings a day earlier, but we didn't come across any. There's also stream fishing. It's in Shoshone National Forest.

Rustics log cabins with a log, family-style dining room. This was nothing fancy or high-end, so don't expect pampering. But it was friendly, wild and gorgeous. Food was simple but well-prepared.

http://www.absarokamtlodge.com/horse.htm

At Teddy Roosevelt, definitely stay in Medora.

Mar 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM

Theodore Roosevelt Nat'l Park is located in NORTH DAKOTA Badlands; plan to stay in Medora. ND's Badlands are very colorful/pretty scenery. I've gone on the trail ride INSIDE the park near Cottonwood Campground - it was nice.
(One version will take you to a petrified forrest). Medora also has a "Pitchfork Steak" meal and musical each evening in an outdoor ampitheatre, as well as numerous museums/shows during the day. Plan well ahead to book rooms, as the town is quite small - Dickinson, ND is also close to the park, with a dinosaur museum located there.

I've also gone on rides in Black Hills, but preferred Roosevelt's beauty.

Search this Thread