Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which of these hotels in San Franscio would you advice

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to find the following with good prices Radissson Hotels Fishermans Wharf, Sir frances Drake or Fairmont Which has the best location and avaiblitiy to public transportation
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 12:52 PM

"Best" is subjective. They're all near public transport. I prefer the Nob Hill location of the Fairmont. It's an old traditional Hotel. The Radisson is much newer. Have a look on a map & decide whether you would rather be at Fisherman's Wharf or Nob Hill. I'm assuming (can't remember) the Drake is in the Union Square area which gets a bad rap because of the homeless problem in the area. If you haven't seen it, do a text search here on that very volatile subject.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Assuming the price is the same at all three go for the Fairmont!!! It is on top of Nob Hill with fantastic views--a very classy hotel. Both the Drake & Radisson are close to transportation, however both are on very bust streets. The Radisson's rooms are VERY small. The Fairmont is a much higher class of hotel then the other two!

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 01:29 PM

I looked at your old post and the Radisson & Sir Francis are NOT 4* hotels. Did you look at Priceline.com? You seem to be open to both Downtown and Wharf locations so this may be the best bet for your. People have been getting rooms in the $55-75 range for 4* hotels (USE, USW, FW, SOMA). Check out biddingfortravel.com.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 03:06 PM

I love the St. Francis. You are in a perfect area and the beds are wonderful. The rooms are very small though.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:29 PM
cd

We stayed at the Radisson Fishermans Wharf. It is a three star hotel and parking free if you are driving. It is directly across the street from the Pier 39 and 41. We asked for a water view and could see Alcatraz (at a distance) from our room. We enjoyed being at the Wharf. Our room was not small, just standard.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:23 PM
hotandsweaty

with kids or without?

romantic weekend with atmosphere = fairmont

convenient to union square shopping and "theater" and chinatown = sir francis drake

convenient to fisherman's wharf, ghiardelli square north beach/chinatown = radisson

all things being equal and you are paying thye same price - fairmont is easily the higher standard of hotel.

Old Sep 27th, 2003, 10:12 PM

The Fairmont offers better views, classier feel and more charm than the others.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 09:25 AM

The Sir Francis Drake and the St. Francis are different hotels.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Another vote for the Fairmont.

Also try their Crown Room for lunch. Best"up high" view of San Francisco and the Bay.

In the AAA, the Sir Frances Drake and the Radisson are 3 diamonds and the Fairmont is 4 diamonds.

Go for the the Fairmont, it's a classier hotel.

Have fun in SF!
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:40 AM

As a tourist who loves to visit SF, I would say that the way you characterize Union Square is horse hockey.

Advising people to stay at a Motor Inn would be like asking them to stay at a Motel 6. I would go for the Sir Frances Drake. It's got great reviews.

Union Square has hotels, shops, restaurants, bars, and lots of local transportation. It's one of the happening places in SF -- even walking distance to Chinatown.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 05:33 PM

As a visitor I didn't find Union Square depressing exactly, but was glad we chose to stay at the Argonaut Hotel with a view of the bay and ships from our window. Cable car is just around the corner.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:24 PM

April, How was the Argonaut? Nice? Romantic? I haven't talked to anyone who has stayed there yet and would love to hear a review of it!
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 05:29 PM

kikahead,

There might be a few bugs still to be worked out at the Argonaut but we enjoyed our stay there very much. Everything is new, of course - the decor is fun, and the cheerful staff seemed determined to give us a room we were happy with. We had requested a room on the street side with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge, but the view was partially obstructed by trees across the street and my husband felt it would be noisy with vehicles accelerating up the hill. We switched to the front of the building, top floor, bay/Alcatraz view. While the windows are not big, this view was much more expansive and the long, spacious room seemed brighter. We loved looking out at the water and ships.

Romantic? The whole city is romantic! My husband is a marine painter so the location of the Argonaut could not have been better. The square-rigged ship Balclutha was right out our window. Inside, nautical touches are everywhere (so it seemed rather funny that their big, heavy bathrobes were leopard-spotted).

Based on a peek from the hallway, the suites looked to be quite large. I would not recommend the inside rooms if they look out at that horribly bleak space in the middle. I heard they are small too.

I could stay at the Argonaut again and again. I'm happy to add that at the end of our stay there were no surprise charges on our bill.