Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which of the Florida Keys for a (older) guys' weekend? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-of-the-florida-keys-for-a-older-guys-weekend-955651/)

moezbud Nov 4th, 2012 12:32 PM

Which of the Florida Keys for a (older) guys' weekend?

Some old high school friends and I are going to be getting together for a long weekend (Thursday through Sunday) in February. We're all in our late 40's and just looking for a nice, casual getaway. We're not big partiers - we're just looking for a nice beach or two, snorkeling or diving, some nice restaraunts, etc... basically, just a bunch of things to occupy our days. We're probably going to be looking to rent a condo.

Any ideas about which of the Keys would be the best for this kind of thing - not too wild, not too romantic.....

Thanks!

Dukey1 Nov 4th, 2012 01:41 PM

Key West is definitely NOT the place for a bunch of great beaches; it is much more a lie-around-the-pool kind of place.

mrt Nov 4th, 2012 02:28 PM

As a Floridian my suggestion would be Key Wesyt or Islamaroda. If your group has never been to key West you should go there becuase there is no place mlike it. There are better restaurants and bars, more sights to see, and more things to do even if you are not interested in a wild time. ou should read up about it before you make a final choice. Few hotels are on the beaches and those that arre do not have great sandy beaches.

Islamorada is in the middle of the Keys. It is a sportfishermans' haven with many restaurants. Better beaches than Key West. Checa Lodge is a popular hotel. If I was not going to Key West Islamarada would be my choice. You probably would need to drive there from Miami.

Marathon has few restaurants and little to see or do.

starrs Nov 4th, 2012 02:50 PM

Islamorada is my favorite.

nanabee Nov 4th, 2012 05:47 PM

I haven't been to Islamorada, but it sounds good as well.

I've been to Key West and you can buy tickets for day excursions for fishing, diving, snorkeling off the keys. I was there last April and really enjoyed Key West. There are great restaurants. We also enjoyed a few of the historical sites - The home of Ernest Hemingway and the Mini White House of Pres. Truman.

moezbud Nov 4th, 2012 06:03 PM

Thanks for all of the responses! I will check out both Key West and Islamorada and see which looks the most suitable for us.

Thanks again!

JeanH Nov 5th, 2012 07:06 AM

I love Key West, it would be my first choice. I've spent limited time in both Islamorada and Marathon. I greatly preferred Marathon.

hpeabody Nov 5th, 2012 07:09 AM

I am watching this thread with interest as I am heading for Islamorada in a couple weeks. I am staying at Pines & Palms which looks to be a little more low key than Cheeca Lodge. This area looks great for boating and sport fishing, I am just going to relax :)