Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which NY broadway shows?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-ny-broadway-shows-378782/)

katiekate Nov 25th, 2003 08:49 AM

Which NY broadway shows??

Yes, it's me again asking more questions about NY. (I just want this "getaway" to be as special as can be.)
In your opinion, if you could only see one show Dec. 8/9, 2003, whih one would it be? Of course, I understand I may not be able to get tickets, but I'm sure going to try! I may try to squeeze in The Rockettes show, too.

Patrick Nov 25th, 2003 08:56 AM

OK, I'll play. Assuming you haven't seen anything else on Broadway and assuming you are looking for a "fun" show, I'd say Mama Mia. But you are right about having a hard time getting tickets. Next choice? Maybe Urinetown.

almesq Nov 25th, 2003 09:00 AM

There are so many, and it of course depends on your tastes. That said, can recommend Lion King--the amazing costumes and production made it a great experience; Chicago--just a great musical. Urinetown I have not seen but want to, heard it is very good. Mama Mia is very popular, but I think for the money you may as well just get Abba' greatest hits on CD.

uhoh_busted Nov 25th, 2003 09:08 AM

Go to www.playbill.com and see what they've got to offer -- also read the synopses of the shows if you're not familiar with them. If it were me, I'd want to see Bernadette Peters in Gypsy, or maybe Nine depending on who is in the cast these days. And of course there's The Producers. The 8th is a Monday and I believe many shows are "dark" on Mondays (no show) but that could have changed over the years and I'm just "unaware" anymore.

HowardR Nov 25th, 2003 09:10 AM

For my money, the best thing currently on Broadway is not a musical, but the Lincoln Center production of Shakespeare's Henry IV.
However, I have a gut feeling that you're looking for a musical. With that in mind, I would recommend any number of musicals, since I haven't the fogiest idea of where your tastes lie! These shows would include (listed in no particular order): Hairspray, Movin' Out, Chicago, Cabaret, Avenue Q, Lion King, The Producers and Gypsy.

fluffnfold Nov 25th, 2003 09:31 AM

Gypsy was just okay. Bernadette Peters was the best part of the show. The Producers is excellent, and I'm not even a Mel Brooks fan. I also loved Mamma Mia and wasn't really expecting to. I knew I would like the Abba songs, but from the clips I had seen on TV, etc., I thought the show looked a little too campy for my taste. I was pleasantly surprised. My all-time favorite show is Les Miserables, but it's no longer playing. A close second is Cabaret--there are some great half-price deals to see it before it closes. There's always Phantom of the Opera if you want something more classic. The Lion King was also good--fantastic costumes as a previous poster said. Chicago and RENT are not among my personal favorites, but most people like them. Check out some of the discount ticket sites: playbill, theatremania, broadwaybox, hitshowclub for good deals.

GoTravel Nov 25th, 2003 09:51 AM

The Nutcracker at Lincoln Center. I can't remember if the NYB or AB is doing the ballet.

BudgetQueen Nov 26th, 2003 05:32 AM

I have to say Urinetown is only so so, my opinion only- the "bunny song" was a hoot but the rest only OK. If looking for a TKTS possibility, 42nd ST is a great production, Phantom, Aida, Chicago, Rent, all would be enjoyable. Depending on who you are going with Menapause the musical was a big excellent surprise for me.

Idnas71 Nov 26th, 2003 10:04 AM

No one has mentioned Thoroughly Modern Millie yet... I visited NYC this past June for the first time and chose to see this show. It was fantastic... but I was surprised at how small the actual theatre was. But that also means you get to have close seats.

bookhall Nov 26th, 2003 11:21 AM

Has anyone seen "Red, White and Blacklisted?" It's the off-Broadway Trumbo show. Reason I ask is that a few years back, there was a volume published of Trumbo's letters to family and friends. Might be the best collection of missives since Lord Chesterfield's letters. Trumbo was a huge talent, and his letters reflect it as well as anything he ever did.

JoJo1 Nov 26th, 2003 05:02 PM

Here's another vote for 42nd Street - my all time favorite -- also enjoyed Millie and Mama Mia and the Producers but for a real old fashioned Broadway musical I still love 42nd Street - and I'm sure you can get a break on the tickets....

Melissa Nov 27th, 2003 08:43 AM

My first broadway show that I saw was the Producers...and it was wonderful!!! I had seen shows in Boston at the Wang Theater from travelling productions (Grease, Riverdance), but they did not compare to the sets, details, and performance of The Producers. I can't speak for the other shows, I am sure they are probably just as good, but I feel that almost everyone would enjoy the Producers.

ian80 Nov 29th, 2003 11:07 AM

I'm very surprised there isn't more recommendations for Hairspray. I've seen most of what is playing on Broadway (in my opinion, none of this season's shows (Wicked, Boy from Oz, Taboo) are worth seeing. I ALWAYS recommend Hairspray to people visiting NYC. It is funnier than the Producers, it has better music AND more energy than Mamma Mia AND it is just plain fun. That being said, I'm sure tickets won't be easy to get, but I would at least try.

earl30 Nov 29th, 2003 11:23 AM

I agree. Hairspray all the way!

ParrotMom Nov 29th, 2003 01:55 PM

Melissa...you will find that many of the show coming to the Wang are not Equity...We NEVER go to the Wang bad sound system..That said we walked up to the Colonial one morning and got "house seats" (9th row in the orchestra,on the aisle for a Saturday matinee... in the for The Producers...We have just come back from seeing Blue Hair Troupe,..kind of cute..talented cast. We will be going to NY SaturdAy, but we have already seen quite a bit that is already on Broadway except for Hair Spray.. interested in seeing Forbidden Broadway, last year it was Cabaret, the year before that Proof and we;ve been able to get tickets for Contact.Our favorite theatre in Boston is the Lyric Stage..excellent shows..