Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which museum in D.C. for 5 and 7 year old (if you could choose only one)

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going for a short trip to D.C. and will only have time for one museum (well, one day at a museum). 7 year old son LOVES to learn and would probably love any museum. 5 year old son, not so much. I was thinking the Air and Space Museum, but we went to something "spacey" on our last vacation. The Museum of National History looks good with hands on exhibits and plenty for all. Husband and 7 year old want to go to the Newseum.
Any recommendations (esp so the 5 year old won't be super bored)?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 04:25 AM

If the 5 year old is really bored (although my brother at that age loved the Nat'; Hist in NYC) then you can split up and take him outside for a while. I seem to remember they had an outdoor area with large model dinos - but it was some years ago.

It might help if you go to the web site first and show him some of the departments and activities - he might be more inetrested if he's prepared.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:33 AM

As a local, I would definitely recommend the Smithsonian's Natural History Museum--dinosaurs, mummies and live bugs should appeal to both of your kids.

I've been to the Newseum twice and love it, but I can't really see that it would hold much interest for a 7 year old. I think much of the appeal of the Newseum is looking at an exhibit and thinking, "Oh, I remember when that happened" and a 7-year-old isn't going to be able to do that. You might want to take a look at the "Top Ten Things to See" on the Newseum website and decide if they are things that would interest your 7-year-old. If not, then he'll probably be happier at the Natural History Museum.

If your husband still wants to go to the Newseum, which is a great museum, perhaps you can take the boys to the Natural History Museum and he can return the favor later by taking the boys when you want to do something different. BTW, you husband should allow at least 5 - 6 hours (and preferably more) to tour the Newseum.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 12:02 PM

The only one I can think of that could possibly be of interest to a 5 yr old would be the Natural History and the Air and Space. There is a children's museum somewhere in Washington, I've heard, but I have never seen it so can't comment.

The Newsmuseum is a lot of just reading stuff, of course. There are a few artifacts to see, but it mostly involves reading. If they want to go, though, why not, if they get tired of it after a couple hours they can leave. It is expensive, though, so you have to be prepared to spend that money. I'm an adult and I didn't find it that scintiallating after a few hours, it's just reading stuff, mostly. While I do find that of some interest, of course (eg, reading headlines of old newspapers), you can only do that so long).

I enjoyed some special exhibit of photojournalism they had when I was there, seeing the photos.

If you are thinking of only one, do not make it the Newseum.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 01:20 PM

The Postal Museum is a great little museum next to Union Station and wa a huge hit with my visiting 4-yo nephew. Everything you want to know about moving the mail -- sorting machines, trains, trucks, airplanes, stagecoaches. A real treat for transportation obsessed little boys.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 02:08 PM

I like the American Indian museum with our 3 (almost 4) year old. Great kids area where they can play on and touch things, and the best food of all the Smithsonian museums. Also, it is next door to the botanical garden, which is also fun with kids.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 02:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Natural History is a great choice but I will also second the recommendation for the Postal Museum (also part of the Smithsonian group) and ideal for kids 7 and 5. It's generally less crowded than the museums on the mall -- Postal Museum is right across the street from Union Station where there is a metro station.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 04:45 PM
kja

For just one museum, I wouldn't go with the Newseum either -- but just for the record, it has quite a few hands-on things that children really seem to enjoy, like "playing newscaster" and interactive games and 3D films. But it is expensive and probably doesn't have the same appeal to 5-year-olds as some of the other museums mentioned in this thread.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 05:10 PM

How about The National Zoo?
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 06:06 PM

We went to DC when our children were at same ages, plus a 3 year old. We skipped Newseum and the Zoo. Because we live near a large space center, we only visited the airplanes section of the Air and Space Museum, then we left and went to the National History Museum. We allowed each child to pick one area of the Nat History Museum and visited only those areas, not the whole thing. This allowed us to do both in a day, and kept everyone moving along at a quick pace to keep them from getting bored too. Everyone except the 3 year old still remembers this trip and loved it.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Another vote for Natural History. There's something for everyone, from dinosaurs to rocks to the ocean hall, plus the butterfly pavilion and discovery room for hands-on action.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM

The zoo is fine if you want to go to a zoo, but there are many zoos all over the US, and I think the OP wants to go to something special within DC. And of course, a zoo isn't a museum, and it isn't in the same general area in DC.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM

DC-Area parent of (now) 7 and 12 yos here. I join in the recommendations for Air and Space and Natural History. Note there are Imax theaters in both museums, and a planetarium show in Air&Space, and you can buy tickets in advance on-line. Can also buy timed tickets in advance for the butterfly exhibit at Natural History. Also when walking between the museums you can hit the carousel in front of the Smithsonian "Castle" building.

Butterly Garden:
http://www.butterflies.si.edu/

IMAX and Planetarium:
http://www.si.edu/imax
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Also, IMO avoid food court at Air&Space. Cafeteria at Natural History is a bit better, but for your intinerary I suggest the cafe in the Sculpture Garden located between Natural History Museum and the National Gallery of Art.

http://www.pavilioncafe.com/
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 09:46 AM

Further to DancingBear's post, that is also a WONDERFUL sculpture garden, that the kids will love.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 10:43 AM

Another vote for the Sculpture Garden--very child-friendly, but they can't climb on the sculptures. (Try explaining the giant typewriter eraser by Claes Oldenburg--or just try explaining a typewriter!)

I think a great lunch venue on the Mall for kids (and adults) is the Cascades Cafe located underground at the National Gallery of Art. There's an indoor waterfall (hence, the name) that appeals to kids as well as a neat interactive arts installation with lights and moving sidewalks right next to it. It's a food court-concept so you can choose from hot meals to hamburgers to pizza to salads. The food is among the best in the museums.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 04:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
How child friendly can the Sculpture Garden be if children can not climb on the sculptures? A pleasant enough walk-through, and the ice skating rink is fun in winter, but I'd still go with Natural History or perhaps Air and Space. Both are just a much better fit for the younger museum goer.

longhorn55, though, great suggestion with the Cascades Cafe, and not far from Natural History, either. If you're going to overpay for hot dogs, hamburgers, and pizza, it helps to enjoy the surroundings. Plus, there's also opportunity for gelato and the emptying of the pocketbook in the children's book, gadgets, and gizmos shop.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:20 AM

This may sound like a broken record, but we were in DC last April with the same age children. Air and Space Museum was my 7 year olds favorite. We did an IMAX movie there too, which was nice to keep cool and rest our feet.

The Museum of National History pleased the 5 year old with much hands on and thought provoking displays. I loved seeing Kermit. Do not eat there. Awful.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Googs, do you mean the Museum of AMERICAN History, or the Museum of NATURAL History?
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Museum of Natural History.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -