Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Which market to visit in D.C.? Eastern, Lexington, Maine Avenue?
Notices

Which market to visit in D.C.? Eastern, Lexington, Maine Avenue?

Mar 4th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Which market to visit in D.C.? Eastern, Lexington, Maine Avenue?

So I'm reading up on the D.C. area and ran across these three markets that sound interesting:

1) Eastern Market
2) Maine Avenue Fish Market
3) Lexington Market in Baltimore

Which one to visit? If I could only visit just 1 or 2, which one(s) to pick? I'd like to sample fresh local food, esp. seafood, and something very unique to the area. I've visited many markets in the world and don't want to see a typical generic one made for tourists.

Also, in many movies set in D.C. I often see scenes shot in some bustling fish market by the water. Is it the Maine Avenue Fish Market or elsewhere?

Thanks
Mar 5th, 2010, 05:48 AM

1 and 2 are totally different. I have never seen any movies with a DC fish market, but to my knowledge that is the only one in DC. The scenes may very well be filmed elsewhere, however. You might want to check the filming locations listed at www.imdb.com

Neither 1 or 2 are made for tourists
Mar 5th, 2010, 05:51 AM

That's an interesting question-

Eastern Market is not that big, and just re-opened after a fire. But on the weekends there is a huge flea market all around it. Fairly yuppified. Easy to get to by metro in DC.

If you saw a fish market by the water in a movie about DC, it could only be Maine Ave. It's fun, and you can buy fresh fish & shellfish, or get things already prepared to eat.

Lexington Market has been in continuous operation for 200+ years. It's authentic & has jazz music at lunch on Saturdays. My favorite lunch there is Park's Fried Chicken - the jumbo wings are amazing. Of course Faidley's is very good too - they actually have the best coddie I've ever tasted.

I would say to include Lexington Market in your Baltimore itinerary, and stick to the monuments & museums in DC.

In DC, don't forget to consider Ford's Theater, where Lincoln was shot - it is very interesting.
Mar 6th, 2010, 05:13 AM

Another vote for Lexington Market. It's superb.

Search this Thread