Reload this Page >

Which luau? Polynesian Cul. Center or Old Lahaina Luau

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2000, 08:07 PM
LS

We want to go to a Luau/Hawaiian show when we visit Hawaii, but are deciding between the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui vs. the Horizons Show/Luau at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Ohau. We will be taking our children (ages 10-17) Which do you recommend for a family or just in general? They both get pricey. Also, can you get discount tickets to either - how? Thanks

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 04:28 AM
Bart

IMO The Lahaina Luau is better as a pure luau but the Polynesian Cultural Center is a must do. As I recall, you can buy a combo ticket that includes center entrance and the luau but it's been 5 or 6 years since we did it. They probably have a web site. The show is in a theater but it is excellent. If you are going to the center do the luau there and then it's out of the way. The rest of the center is very interesting and informative.
We go to the islands regularly but not luaus.
As I recall, the entertainment book may have a coupon for the PCC. Also, there are lots of other savings that you can save with especially on Oahu.
Aloha, Bart

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 04:52 AM
Frank

The Polynesian Cultural Center Show is an "extravaganza" that is perfectly suited for your children. However, go there ONLY for the show, as the "exhibits" and luau are far too "touristy" and contrived. Once you have seen the Show, there will be no need for a luau elsewhere...instead, have a good meal at any of the many fine restaurants (as opposed to the mass-produced, steam-table "food" served assembly-line style at most of the "luaus").

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 12:00 PM
Tom

The Old Lahaina Luau is something you or your children will enjoy. The food is excellent, the service is beyond friendly, and the show is spactacular....

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 12:33 PM
p thompson

Old Lahaina is my recommendation.

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Charlie

Old Lahaina for sure,everything's first class and they present the history of Hawaii quite well in their presentation.The show flows naturally and doesn't feel like a touristy Las Vegas/Hollywood production IMHO. Aloha,have a great trip.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Anna

I just returned from Hawaii this week and went to the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. I would highly recommend it, the food was very good (especially the pig) and the bar was open all evening. The staff made sure that the children could see the show - they let them sit on the rock wall in front of the tables. One server even brought cushions for them to sit on.

We reserved our tickets through the Luau's website so we payed full price (our seats were excellent). I did hear some discount ticket agencies on Maui selling the tickets for $10 off, but they were booking 10 days out. So if you can contact one of the agencies ahead of time, you may be able to get a discount. Two places that come to mind are Activity Warehouse and Tom's Cashback Barefoot ... (can't remember the rest!).