Which little town in Door Country, WI

Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which little town in Door Country, WI

We are thinking of visiting Door County, WI for a week this summer and have never been there before. Have searched Vacation Rentals By Owner website and am learning that there are many towns to choose from when selecting a rental property. Will have older teens with us so want some action but not too much! Sister Bay and Fish Creek seem popular, but would love any ideas regarding how I should zero in on the best spot. Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Sister Bay is the largest town and very spread out. There's an old fashioned bowling alley and a nice central park with some outdoor concerts, and a ton of shops.

Fish Creek is compact and walkable, and is adjacent to Peninsula State Park with its bike trails, outdoor theatre and swimming beach.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find "too much" action in Door County.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 08:19 AM

We spent three or four very pleasant short vacations in Baileys Harbor in the mid-90's. I don't know how much it's changed since then. But, at that time, it was much quieter than the other side. However, it had plenty of restaurants and was a short drive to the more commercial areas.

I don't know anything about rental properties there. We always stayed at a place called Petry Place. I think it must have changed hands as I tried to find it a couple of years ago and couldn't. We really liked it 'cause our kids were small at the time and it had both an indoor pool and a small private beach. I have very pleasant memories of those vacations! Whatever you decide, I think you'll find Door County to be a great spot for a family vacation. Have fun!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 08:46 AM
cd

When we went to Door County, we wished we had stayed in either Fish Creek or Sister Bay.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input! And glad I will be hard pressed to find too much action in Door County! Guess I am just trying to avoid crowds. I have heard it is beautiful there so I am anxious to find just the right spot.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 08:17 PM

We honeymooned in Sister Bay. Ahhhh... Peninsula State Park has great hiking trails and the sand beaches at Newport and Whitefish Dunes are incredible. Bring a picnic basket!!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Avoiding crowds in Door County in the summer can be a challenge!!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Forgot to mention Whitefish Dunes. It's on the opposite side of the peninsula from Fish Creek, et al, and is much less crowded. The water is chilly, but there is a diving hole for teenage thrills.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your input. This helps a lot!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:26 PM

robyncg,

I personally love Bailey's Harbor, we stayed there about 2 years ago. However, when we went back again last time we stayed in Fish Creek. We like being able to walk as much as we can, and Bailey's Harbor really isn't a "walking" kind of place. I think two teenagers would be much happier in Fish Creek or Egg Harbor perhaps.

Door County is really beautiful. I have lived in WI for 6 years now, and even after visiting other parts of WI I still think it is the gem of our state. And not to crowded like the Jersey shore or anything. You can't go wrong.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 06:01 PM

Have stayed in both Ephraim and Sister Bay and these towns are all walkable and lively. Bailey's Harbour is on east side and way more quiet and rustic, you might say. The Door is referred to as the "Cape Cod of the midwest" for good reason..
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

We go up there at least once a year and like to stay in Ephraim. It's adorable and there are lots of shops and places to stay. Wilson's ice cream parlor is open late and you can stop in there for dessert and a walk along the water.

Definitely go to Peninsula Players for a show. They just did a renovation and the new theater is supposed to be amazing. It's a very professional, open-air theater right on the bay - go early to catch the sunset before the show.

Restaurants: Village Cafe, Julie's Parkside Cafe, or White Gull Inn for breakfast. Wilson's for lunch and ice cream. Summer Kitchen for lunch or dinner. Mission Grille or Villagio's for dinner. You can always find a fish boil too if you're into that sort of thing.

One thing to consider - Ephraim a "dry" town, so there aren't any bars or restaurants that serve alcohol. If you're looking for somewhere to go late in the evening to have a drink, I'd suggest Olde Stage Station or the bar at C & C Supper Club in Fish Creek. There's also the Bayside Tavern in FC, but it's mostly "townies."

Have fun!