Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what are the different locales like in waikiki - does it matter THAT much where you stay?

what are the different locales like in waikiki - does it matter THAT much where you stay?

Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello folks
we are planning a holiday with our two teens in NOV 2014 ( so a long way away yet!) but i really want to get it right this time!
Having done this before, i now know what we need as individuals and a family when we travel O/S so the key question for me at this very early starting point is:
What areas should we avoid, if any when booking either a two -bed condo or a two interconnecting rooms with maybe a kitchenette? I was told by a friend that the area near the canal is not as desirable..something about nightclubs and safety at night?
Im gathering from the map i have here that would be the Ala Wai Boulevard?
My friend is looking to stay down near the zoo this time- the outrigger west apartments which are on the corner of Kalakaua ave and Kapahulu ave...above starbucks and chilis restaurant.,,apparently a ten minute stroll to the hustle and bustle of the Outrigger Waikiki where her family stayed last time.
I would like to be able to go shopping with my daughter- ie walk to the main places of action without relying on taxis or buses necessarily and not wanting to ask OH to get the rental car out to drop us off anywhere either

It wont matter during the day much ..we will be driving out for day trips no doubt together..it is just the evenings that concern me when typically OH has had enough and just wants to chill or nap whilst we girls go looking for shopping adventures unencumbered and unrushed!

Any opinions really appreciated. We want to be safe and if the general consensus is that waikiki is well-lit..well populated and just has the usual dangers of any busy centre then we will further explore the area of Paul St where i have been researching the Monarch 401 condo...seems very nice and quite reasonable at the moment..two bathrooms area a definite bonus and OH likes the idea of some space..it has got some views too which add to the appeal
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 02:27 AM

I/we haven't stayed in Waikiki for about 6 years but the area by the Ali Wai canal is not that rough (or wasn't - especially on the end toward Honolulu - not the zoo) - and if three of your are walking around - you will probably be fine. It it's later at night - take a taxi - or can't you drive the rental car?

We prefer the ease of a condo - so you can enjoy a leisurely breakfast/meal in if you choose - and take advantage of what views you may have.
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 03:48 AM

Love love love staying in Waikiki on Kalakaua Avenue. But the canal area isn't that far away. Shopping is mostly along Kalakaua. I find it easy to walk to most places I want to visit in Waikiki. I'll use my rental car for going into Honolulu or visiting the Ala Moana Mall (but you can get to the mall on a shuttle).
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses!
we are looking to get a condo i think but it seems theyre cheaper away from the main drag...and you can get some pretty nice ones...so it appears

the point of walking to shops is that i wont have to look for parking...and besides id not drive a rental cos im not used to driving in the usa
theres usually enough worry for me in a strange area without worrying about turning the wrong way lol

we like to walk...you really get to take it all in then and no...there wont be three of us ...just we two females and hence the question...wheres the safest place to stay?

most of our shopping i suspect will be done in the evenings when the menfolk have had enough of daytripping and are happily doing menthings back at the condo...so itd be nice to know where there is accommodation that enables one to just duck out and have a wander without the need of a vehicle or male accompaniment
thanks again
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 05:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a rather large shopping center near where you will be staying...the Ala Moana. I think you'll want to venture there at least once.

I always stay right in Waikiki evcen though a lot of people do not like that area. You certainly do not need a car to get around and for the most part it is fairly safe. You are going to find that many parts of it at night are mobbed with visitors which is to be expected. And far freom the t-shirt shops which lined Kalakaua Avenue some years ago (prior to the influx of mainly Japanese tourists and their love of golf and now the Chinese visitors) there are some areas which have some of the most expensive stores in the Islands. So it is a mixed bag for shopping.

Enjoy your stay.