Which Island to Choose?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Jen

Which Island to Choose?

My best friend and I are planning our graduation trip! We are graduating in 2004 and would like to go to Hawaii. Her parents are involved in a timeshare system that always us to stay on any of the following four islands for free:

The big island, maui, kauai, oahu. I've been to Hawaii twice already (and have been to every island); however my friend has not. Which island should we choose to stay at?

We'd be vacationing for one week in the very beginning of June or the very end of May.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:22 AM
x

Sounds like a great graduation present! There is a good deal of info about all the islands on this board. I suggest you do a search and you more info than you could possibly need.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Questions

Why are you asking us if you have been to every island and you know your friend? Aren't you in the best position to make the call?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Ken

I agree with the previous post. What can anyone tell you that you don't already know if you have been to all the islands yourself?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Jen

In response to Questions:
I have been to every island but have not done everyTHING on each island. I posted this because she herself wanted to hear other people's opinions of each island.
I hope that clarifies my meaning behind posting this message!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:03 AM
x

For your age group and variety of activities, I'd say Maui--it has beaches, nightlife, shopping, hiking, bicycling, horseback riding, snorkeling, etc.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:07 AM
dan woodlief

I agree. Maui because of the variety of things to see and do.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Sheila

Is there someone at least 21 going with you? On our timeshare the person checking in has to be at least 21 plus I believe the age for renting a car in certain areas is 25. Just thought I would bring that up in case you haven't thought about it. I took my daughter and some of her friends to Destin for a graduation gift but I had to go along since they were only 18. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:01 AM
jen

thanks for the heads up! My friend and I will be 21 and have found a rental car place that only requires you to be 21! So, we have lucked out!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Tina

Jen, if you've been to every island, you should have an idea of what each island has to offer. Personally, we like Oahu for its diversity. My teenagers like the hustle and bustle at Waikiki and my husband likes surfing and diving at North Shore. Maui also offers a lot of activities for your age group. Kaui is more laid back so it really depends on what you're looking for in a vacation so give us more details and we'll be willing to help you. It would also help if you get a travel guide book or start researching this in the internet.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:30 AM
K

The Pacific island of Oahu is our personal favorite among the Hawaiian Islands. You can drive the coast of the entire island in about two and a half hours. Oahu is the only one of Hawaii's islands which enjoys the convenience of a beautiful and thriving modern city: Honolulu. Honolulu boasts more world-class entertainment, dining, shopping and nightlife than all of the other islands combined. Practically every outdoor activity imaginable takes place in and around this city. Go sport fishing, kayaking, snorkeling, surfing, windsurfing, horseback riding, hiking, bicycling and much more. Most of the population is concentrated in Honolulu. A common misconception about Oahu is that if you stay on Oahu you will be staying in Honolulu (or a big city) and you won't be able to enjoy the "outer island experience." This couldn't be further from the truth. Oahu has more beautiful and secluded beaches than Maui. Nowhere else in Hawaii, can you enjoy a remote, tropical beach and be close as little as twenty minutes from the world class restaurants, nightlife, shopping and entertainment of Honolulu. The Island is ringed by scores of tropical beaches and endowed with lush, green mountain ranges. Easily among our favorite beaches are Kailua Beach and the beaches of North Shore. Kailua Beach has been voted the second most beautiful beach in the US. It stretches for approximately two miles along the Windward Side of the Island. If you're looking for restaurants, outdoor activities and adventure, the Kailua area has plenty to offer and the excitement and convenience of Honolulu is a mere twenty-minute drive down the Pali Highway. North Shore is also known for its many secluded beaches and some of the world's best surfing. Near the North Shore homes is the historic town of Haleiwa known for its blend of cafes, art galleries, boutiques and shops with remnants of the old Hawaiian plantation days. Recently, the makers of the popular TV show BayWatch chose North Shore as the new filming location over its previous location in Los Angeles. When you visit North Shore you won't believe you're only 45 minutes from Honolulu. Hope this helps you and have fun planning your trip.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Suzie

Two 21 year olds would have a great time in Maui. Lots to do. A lot younger crowd on Maui than on the other islands and more night life, other than Oahu which would be ok in the Waikiki area. I think of Maui as more of a adventure than Oahu which is more like city life.

2004 is a long way off. Good luck over the next two years. Thought the last two years in college were the most difficult of the 4.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Linda

Well said K. I went on my honeymoon 2 years ago and after reading up on each island, I was leaning towards spending a week on Oahu and a week on Maui but my travel agent told me to spend as little time as I can in Oahu and spend my honeymoon in Maui and Kauia. I did just that, spend 7 days in Maui, 5 days in Kauia and 2 days in Oahu. Well, when we got to Oahu, we had so much fun and regret not spending a lot more time there. As great as Maui and Kauia are, I like the fun and excitement in Waikiki and the tranquility in the North Shore. Suffice it to say, we're going back this year and we're ready to do some more exploring in Oahu. So Jen, just remember that everyone has their own idea for a vacation. Fortunately, you've been to every island so you know what each has to offer.