Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which island for a first-timer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-island-for-a-first-timer-130183/)

Jill Jun 14th, 2001 03:09 PM

Which island for a first-timer?

My boyfriend and I are planning our first trip to Hawaii and don't know which island we would enjoy most. We don't enjoy crowds or the usual touristy things. We want to experience the natural beauty of Hawaii-hiking, kayaking, etc., but would also enjoy a day at the beach. <BR>Can anyone recommend a good destination?

curious Jun 14th, 2001 03:40 PM

I would recommend Kuaui (sp?) and or the big island. Most definitely not Oahu. It is very commercialized and built up. I've been to Kaui, Maui Oahu and the big island. Maui is the second most touristy, unless you stay in Hana, which is remote and has one of the most incredible places I've ever been to. It's called the seven pools. These are pools which feed into one another made of volcanic rock. You can slide down from one pool to the next. The road to Hana is treacherous but fun. I remember that day as one of the most fun in my life! Kaui and Hawaii are very different islands. Kaui is more tropical, with incredible valleys and beaches. Hawaii of course has the lava fields which are really incredible to walk through. The interior is less tropical with many ranches. I think the inter island flights are reasonable so I would try to do both islands. Both have lots of incredible natural beauty. You sound like someone who would hate Oahu. IMO it gives you no feel for the real Hawaii.

Rebecca Jun 14th, 2001 04:15 PM

I have been to Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island. I would say for your first time to the Hawaiian Islands to try Maui. It is not built up like Oahu, yet it is not so secluded as the Big Island. There is a ton to do and see...and it is so beautiful. We stayed in Hololoni near Lahaina on the west side. It was incredible!! Then you can decide for your next trip if you want to go to a more private place (Big Island, or Kaui), or more built up (Oahu).

David Jun 14th, 2001 04:24 PM

I know I"m in the minority but we absolutely love Oahu as there is so much to do. Yes. it is built up but that has some plusses too...like lots of options. There are also lots of areas that are still very natural on the island too.

Debbie Jun 14th, 2001 04:36 PM

David I'm with you, we love Oahu. We have only been to Hawaii twice, but included Oahu both times. <BR> <BR>Jill, the big island could meet your needs also. We enjoyed the quiet of the big island and of course a great beach is just around the corner. <BR> <BR>No matter which island you go to you will have the time of your life. <BR> <BR>Debbie

Paul Jun 14th, 2001 06:46 PM

Kauai is a great bet. It's not nearly as crowded or touristy as Oahu or Maui. It's absolutely beautiful. Has some outstanding beaches. It's a hiker's paradise. It has wonderful kayaking on its rivers. My second choice is the Big Island. Also has all of the above, except you'll be doing a LOT more driving! I'd return to either of these islands again and not regret one bit skipping Maui or Oahu.

cheri Jun 15th, 2001 06:20 AM

Let me give you an analogy. Waikiki is to Hawaii as Cancun is to Mexico. If you like a strip of hotels along a crowded beach, nightlife,souvenier shops and the fact that a Mai Tai is never more than a finger snap away, than stay on Waikiki Beach in Oahu. There's nothing wrong with that for people who want that type of vacation, but if there is one thing Oahu is not, that is non-touristy. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a deserted beach there. There is a reason that hotel rooms are generally half the price on Waikiki than they are on Maui or Kuaui. You get what you pay for. <BR> <BR>I've been to all the islands and would say Kuaui or Hawaii. They are different, beautiful and have many uncrowded spots. When we were in Kuaui, a local drew us a map to an incredible beach. We drove through a sugar cane field to get there. Packed a cooler and didn't see another soul for the entire 5 hours we were there. That beach wedged between 2 mountains was paradise!