Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Is the Most Convenient Airport to South Hackensack, NJ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-is-the-most-convenient-airport-to-south-hackensack-nj-877754/)

nohogal Feb 13th, 2011 11:53 AM

Which Is the Most Convenient Airport to South Hackensack, NJ?

I'll be traveling from either LAX or Burbank, CA, to South Hackensack,NJ, early/mid March for business and I'm trying to determine which airport to fly into. I will need to rent a car at the airport. Looks like LaGuardia is 11 miles away and Newark is 14, but closest isn't always the most convenient. Also, is there anywhere I should visit in or around South Hackensack during my downtime? Looking forward to everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

mclaurie Feb 13th, 2011 12:13 PM

Newark is the best option since it's in the same state and it avoids having to drive through or around Manhattan. The logical answer to your second question is Manhattan, but perhaps if we knew a bit more about you we can advise you better. There's loads of shopping in/near Hackensack. There are some beautiful views of the Hudson River along the Palisades in that area and walking/running trails.

nytraveler Feb 13th, 2011 05:29 PM

LGA may be fewer miles away - but it's across two rivers - the crossings of which are often heavily backed up.

Newark is the obvious choice.

Have you looked at a map - I strongly suggest it. You will need to rent a car to get around NJ - which is very suburban.

Obviously sights of Manhattan are nearby - but don;t know where you will be staying and what transport you will have into the City.

nohogal Mar 1st, 2011 08:36 AM

I found the maps with hotels and hotel locations somewhat confusing, but I should probably just look at a state map.
I will fly into Newark and rent a car. While there I will visit a bindery in the 07606 zip code, and I hope to get to Manhattan once or twice. Still deciding which hotel to stay at, I am leaning toward staying in Secacus or near the meadowlands or (E?) Rutherford. If I don't drive to Manhattan, what are my travel options to get into the city for an evening? thanks!

nytraveler Mar 1st, 2011 09:47 AM

Travel options depend on your exact hotel locaiton. May be train or bus or both. BUT - some are commmuter-based and have little servic ein the late evening Also you ned ot figure out how to get from your hotel to the bus or train. (Local parking ususaly fills up by 8 am near either - and for some you need a local resident sticker.

bmw732002 Mar 1st, 2011 12:39 PM

Forget Laguardia! Newark is the way to go. Your map might show you are close to "Teterboro AP", but that AP is mostly for private aircraft.

Getting to Manhattan will be a challenge if you do not want to drive.

Land your hotel and let us know.........then we will suggest some options for Manhattan.

-john

mclaurie Mar 1st, 2011 02:24 PM

If you're trying to locate a hotel that would be both convenient to that bindery and also good to get to/from Manhattan in the evening, the best option is the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken, NJ. It's directly across from midtown Manhattan and during the week there's a ferry right in front of the hotel that goes across the Hudson to Manhattan. On the Manhattan side, the ferry co nywaterway.com has a free shuttle bus that will take you to various areas of the city.

Staying in Secaucus is no closer driving to that bindery yet it puts you much further from Manhattan and requires your using a bus which is subject to traffic delays.

hamlet Mar 1st, 2011 03:20 PM

There is a Hilton in Hasbrouck Heights that close to S Hack. There's also a Holiday Inn on Rt 17, I think also Has Hts. A few minutes farther are the Meadowlands area hotels. Do you plan on having a car or will you take taxis to the bindery? These hotels are close to buses to NYC that run all hours of the day, but there's nothing interesting to do. (shopping malls are in abundance). Depending on how many times you need to visit the bindery, time of day and method of transportation may influence which hotel location you choose. S Hack offers little more than your bindery, BMW service center and an ABC Carpet home decor store. I live close by and can answer questions about the area.

nohogal Mar 16th, 2011 03:50 PM

so what's the best restaurant in or around South Hackensack, Meadowlands, E Rutherford area? I love Italian, but am open to almost anything. Already ate at Park & Orchard, Amalfi's Pizza, and the Renaissance Hotel's CK Restaurant. Thanks.