Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which is better? Snorkeling in Molokini Island or Hanauma Bay ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 08:52 AM
May

Hi,

I've heard snorkeling in Molokini Island (maui) and Hanauma Bay (Oahu) are both wonderful. I can't decide on which one to try. Any pros and cons or experience in this area?

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Ellen

I got my legs all scraped up on the coral at Hanauma bay, and then they told me to feel bad about the coral I had damaged. But the fish were amazing.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 09:18 AM
May

Ellen,

When you snorkeled at Hanauma Bay, were you with a guided tour that sent you there with a boat or did you just get to the park yourself and rented the equipment? I've also heard that guided tours are not necessary for snorkeling there because everyone can just get there easily and rent the equipment right on the spot.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Brenda

Hi May! I snorkelled at Hanauma Bay about 4 years ago, and did not go with a tour. If you are staying in Waikiki there is a bus that goes directly there. Only thing is that the buses tend to get packed, so it it best to leave earlier. Back then I think it was about $3 to get into the park and about $7 to rent the gear, but you do you have to put down about $40 damage deposit which you will get back when you turn the equipment in , as long as there is no damage. As for the coral, yes there are areas that are shallow and the coral is very close to your body. I tended to snorkel in the areas which are open and sandy, with the coral to the side. A couple of people told me that they got cut up from the coral, so be careful in certain areas. There were lots of fish, nice beach. I enjoyed it!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 03:57 AM
RB

Hi May,

We liked Molokini better, it was less crowded and we saw dolphins as well. Hanauma Bay was wonderful (the water is so clear), but you should go early am before it gets too crowded.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 09:46 AM
janis

The way to do Hanauma Bay is to go VERY EARLY in the AM. Then it is almost deserted. Last Time I did it was several years ago - a mini bus picked me up at the hotel about 6:30 AM and had me there and equipped with rented snorkle gear by a little after 7AM. Had 3+ hours in the water - It was a blast especially since I am not a swimmer. For me swimming is basically staying alive in the water. Anyway - at most there were less than 50 people in the entire bay -- UNTIL 10AM when all the hordes arrived. I was out of the water by 10:15 and back at the hotel by 11AM. It was wonderful - if you do not have a underwater camera, be sure to get a waterproof disposible

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 03:28 PM
CF

We did Molokini, which wasn't an island, but a ring of coral rising up out of the water. Is that the same one you're talking about?

We were very disappointed by it. They picked us up for the trip at our hotel while it was still dark, they piled us on a cattle boat and dumped us in the water with about 15 other boat loads of people. Anything would be better than that. The tourists on our boat had never snorkeled before and they damn near drowned a few people. I mean, the girl actually held up a mask and said this is a mask, this part goes under your nose. Right there I knew we were in trouble....I don't know how we ever got caught up with THAT trip...we booked it thru the hotel.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 05:38 AM
Bill

If you're going to both islands, I'd say do both - they are very different.
Hanauma - go early, plenty of fish to see, but almost all the coral is DEAD in the inner reef because of overuse of the area. If a beginner, don't go through the passage to the outer reef! We went out before the lifeguard arrived and had a tough time getting back because of rip currents in the passage. When we got back in the lifeguard had just arrived and was marking the passage off limits because of the currents (tide was draining out of the inner reef).
Molokini - we had a great time, use a boat that makes a second stop to snorkel with turtles. Great coral but deeper, so some of the colors more muted.
Actually, our best snorkeling spot was a beach park a few miles below Kona on the BI. Sorry I don't remember the name, but its in all the guidebooks.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:56 AM
sss

Have not been to Molikini but Hanama bay can be such an problem. Last year we were not allowed to get out at entrance from car. Were asked to park down a steep hill and then pay a limo driver $2 a head to take us up hill and into the park. This was at 9am in the morning. They continued to let in buses, and taxis after us but would not let our car drop off in the park and then park somewhere else. Oh yes we were not allowed to walk in directly either. We discovered this after walking up the hill.

I would strongly advise against this park unless Molokini is not an option. If you have to go to Hanama bay do a $15 tour from the hotel, this is nolonger a place where you can snorkle for few hours in the morning and then continue on with your days activities our morning was ruined when we tried to do this.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 06:59 AM
sss

Janis Janis Janis where was your post before our visit sounds like that is the only way to do Hanama Bay. No understatement in the use of the work Hordes.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:29 AM
CF

WE gave up on trying to snorkle Hanauma Bay. There were so many people there and there was no place to park in a mile ot better in either direction.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:13 PM
lou

We sailed with another couple to Molokini, which was much nicer than the big tourist boats packed...but I must say that the snorkling was very mediocre, and I've seen better on the islands shores....I suppose the weather and conditions mandate what you'll see. If you want an ocean excursion with the possability of seeing great fish than hey why not...or save your money and drive to island spots---past Makena Beach in the morning or past kapalua.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:30 AM
May

One silly questions, I had seen pictures of snokeling tours in HI which did not look like they require you to put on a life vest. When I traveled to Key West, it was mandatory. I was just wondering if it's mandatory in HI as well. If not, are there any life vest available if you do decide to use one when snorkeling? I'm not a confident swimmer myself).

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:39 AM
George

Like anywhere else May it depends on what outfit you are with and client willingness to follow lifevest suggestions. I took sailing lessons on the Hudson in NYC and noone wore life vest. We were told it was the law and everyone had to wear to take place in class. Instructors on the boat did not enforce. This was from an award winning sailing school the largest on the East Coast. Go figure

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:02 AM
bj

Honestly, there are better places to snorkle on either island. As mentioned both Molokini and Hanauma bay have become very crowded. I was very pleasantly surprised at the snorkeling just off Waikiki this last March.
I was told that they dramatically reduced the amount of fishing allowed off Waikiki several years ago and I saw tons of fish. Something I had not seen 10 years ago. Thats only one of several alternatives on Oahu.
Maui also has some really nice places to snorkel, easier to get to and MUCH less crowded. Even if you've never snorkled before, if you can swim, you can snorkle. Don't presume you need to do an organized tour.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:11 AM
ddd

Hate the crowds and hassle of Hanama Bay but I did not see better snorkeling anywhere. GO FIGURE you would expect that the crowds would hinder this but I just don't see it not even in the weakest part of the day.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:38 AM
Bill

May,
Snorkel vests are not mandatory for the Molokini tours, but to the best of my knowledge, all of the boats have them available (at no charge) along with the rest of the equipment. Just be sure to ask when you make a reservation.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Ludlow

Life vests while snorkeling? Most of the best things to see require holding your breath and diving down a bit - which would be impossible with a vest. If you are a beginner snorkeler, I would recommend that you consider your own comfort level - Molokini and the inner bay of Hanauma (inside the major coral reef) are both quite calm, but both have downsides. Hanauma starts relatively shallow, but as previous posts have noted, the coral is dead and most of the brighter, prettier fish are beyond the reef. People often get injured trying to swim over the reef, instead of through the channel on the far right (looking out to the ocean). Check with a lifeguard about current conditions, and how to clean any coral cuts afterwards (the cuts can scar if bits of the coral animal remain lodged in your skin). Molokini is an atoll off Maui, so most boats charge a fee that includes instruction, some supervision, and even food. The water is much deeper, but again very calm. If you are visiting both Oahu and Maui, I would recommend both, though I usually look for smaller beaches in Maui to avoid the boat fee. Ask locals, or check the web for snorkeling sites convenient to your hotel. A short daily snorkeling outing is a great way to cool off in the afternoon - I would not want to make it a big single-day event and then never snorkle again on my vacation.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:14 AM
Ludlow

I forgot to note that Hanauma is a beautiful beach for tanning and relaxing even if you don't want to brave the outer reef. Considering how packed it gets during the summer, I always laugh when I see re-runs of "Blue Hawaii" with Elvis living alone in a grass shack at Hanauma Bay. If the ocean is calm I would also recommend walking all the way around the far left of the bay (a rock shelf stretches beneath the cliff) the the "toilet bowl", a natural hot-tub-sized lava tube open to the ocean that accentuates the movement of the ocean. Small waves create major up-and-down water movements that remind people of the bathroom fixture. Hop on it, its safer than it looks, but be careful about slick rocks and stay in the middle of the pool away from the sides until you want to climb out. For daredevil kids (parents please turn off the computer now) there is a much smaller pool nearby about shoulder width. When I was young and stupid I would wait until the water was at its height and dive in head-first - the water would pull me into the ocean inlet, much to the surprise and relief of onlookers. That particular tunnel twists and turns and is rather long - I often had to wait for the second or third swell to pull me out - and if something ever occured to block it I would have drowned. Not recommended at all. Adventurous snorkelers might also swim out to the far right of Hanauma Bay, where flotsam collects - the detrius attracts predators like eels and small sharks, which can be exciting creatures to watch from a safe distance.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
May

Great info Ludlow. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -