Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which is better - car service or taxi from LaGuardia to Manhattan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 01:46 PM
DSL

As they are about the same price, is there a reason to choose one over the other? Is it a pain to have to call the car service on arrival and wait, rather than just go out and get a cab?

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 02:00 PM
sabrina

Taxi leaving the airport -- the price is set.

Coming back, let your hotel arrange a car service for you. They can usually cut you a deal that is the same price as the taxi ride you got leaving out.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 04:35 AM
bernard

It's not really a pain to call the car service on arrival, I do it all the time. If you can, make the arrangements before you fly to NY. The car services have a staging area near the airport & they usually arrive within a few minutes of your call. Cab prices to NY are set. There generally is a taxi dispatcher at the taxi stand. Tell him where you're going & ask him what the ride will cost.
I agree with Sabrina on the ride back to the airport - let the hotel arrange for a car service.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 08:37 PM
Steve

If cost and speed are a consideration and you do not have much luggage you can ask for a taxi to take you from LaGuardia airport to 74th street and Roosevelt Avenue. Take the subway into midtown from there. It is only three stops and the Queens to Manhattan traffic is frequently screwed up.

I live in this area and find the subway to be great. In the last 20 years much has changed in New York with the subway as one thing.

Even though rates are set for taxis they still find ways to scam....

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 06:06 AM
Cindy

Whatever you do, don't take a courtesy van...we drove all around the city dropping every one off. It took almost 2 hours to get to our hotel and I was VERy dizzy. I'm going with taxi..

Now, car service is one of those Lincoln Town cars/?? not sure.

Old Aug 22nd, 1999, 02:32 PM
diane

Depends on how many of you-- if there are 4 or more, you should arrange for a car service/limo...it will be far more comfortable.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 05:42 AM
Brian in Atlanta

I'm surprised at the comments above saying that the taxi fare from LaGuardia to Midtown is set. I've taken numerous cabs into the city and the fare is always metered.

One plus of using a car service in the summer is that you'll have a better chance of getting a working air conditioner.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 09:12 AM
Neal Sanders

Brian is correct; the taxis from Kennedy continue to operate at a fixed price from that airport to anywhere in Manhattan ($30); the taxis from LaGuardia are strictly on the meter. Depending upon time of day and destination in Manhattan, a taxi can be $22 - $30 plus bridge or tunnel tolls and tip.

Steve, if you are able to get a taxi to drop you off from LaGuardia at the Broadway/74th station (7,E,F,N,R lines), you are a better person than I am. It is my experience that a taxi driver who has been been sitting in the queue for an hour will look at the prospect of a $5 fare and will flatly turn you down (yes, it's illegal to do so, and there's little you can do about it.) Better to take the Q-33 bus that goes from the airport pretty much non-stop to the Jackson Heights (Broadway/74th) terminal, and runs every 15 minutes.

I think Bernard is incorrect when he says that a taxi dispatcher will make arrangements for a car service. That has never been my experience. If your destination is out of New York City, the dispatcher will find a cab to make that run. Otherwise, the dispatcher's job is to ensure that your wait for a cab is as short as possible.

As to the basic question of a car service vs. a cab, the rates are comparable, and both are clean and fast. In which case, why wait for the car service when taxis are plentiful?

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 06:47 PM
arjay

What about other, less $$ options? Is there ground transport, such as a midtown bus service, one can get from LaG (along the lines of the Continental Express service out of O'Hare to d'town Chicago)?

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 04:39 AM
Neal Sanders

Arjay, in ascending order of cost, the combination of the Q-33 bus and the subway cost $1.50 and will take you anywhere in the city. Not recommended, however, if you're carrying luggage. The Carey bus (the last time I took it, which was over a year ago) is $10 and goes non-stop from LaGuardia to Grand Central Station, with two more stops at hotels along 6th Avenue in the 50's. A taxi, as mentioned above, is about $30 with tolls and tips.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 07:30 PM
arjay

Great, Neal - just the kind of info I was hoping for! Thanks very much.

Old Aug 28th, 1999, 09:52 AM
bernard

To Neal Sanders - Please check my post again I didn't say the taxi dispatcher would arrange for a car service. If you make arrangements for a car service to pick you up at LaGuardia some car services will ask you to call them after you have picked up your baggage. Others will wait for you near your arrival gate or at baggage claim holding a sign bearing your name. Last night (Aug 27th) I took a cab from LaGuardia airport to 57th & Madison. I asked the taxi dispatcher at LaGuardia how much the fare was. He said $32 plus tolls. That is what I paid the cabbbie. IT was NOT METERED. I fly in & out of LaGuardia twice weekly. It may not be legal, but cabs from Laguardia to NYC can be fixed price IF YOU ASK!!!!!

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 04:08 AM
jm

Just got back from N.Y. Four of us used a car service - Fixed rate was $22 from LaGuardia to Midtown. (+tip) Driver did not take a toll route. We paid $3 extra to get a Lincoln Town Car. Excellent decision - pristine car inside amd out, lots of room for luggage. Simply called the service from a nearby phone on arrival, with our reservation number, and the car was there in minutes Much cleaner, more comfortable and probably cheaper than a taxi.

Old Aug 29th, 1999, 01:09 PM
Judy

Can you give the name and number of the car company? There will be 7 of us needing a ride into Manhattan and a car would certainly be cheaper than two taxis. We will be flying standby, so are not sure of arrival time. Can we reserve a car for a tentative time?
Thanks

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 05:33 AM
jm

The name was TelAviv - they're NY number is 212 777-7777. They do have a toll free number, but I don't have it. You can call this number and ask for the toll free an call back.

With 7 people, including any luggage, you'll probably need a mini van, which is also reasonable an cheaper than 2 taxis.

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 07:19 AM
Debra Silver

If you're in an are where there are a lot of cabs and won't have to walk with heavy luggage, get a cab. Otherwise, or if the weather is not good, take a car service. There are ususally discount coupons (not during rush hours) in the free NY Press or Resident publications found in lobbies everywhere.