Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Indian restaurant in NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-indian-restaurant-in-nyc-585310/)

amelie Jan 26th, 2006 07:50 AM

Which Indian restaurant in NYC?

Maybe someone could give me some insight on which indian restaurant we should visit on our upcoming NYC trip. It will be myself, my british husband, and his parents (visiting from Scotland). They are all used to great indian food in the UK, and we have a hard time finding much in Cleveland. I want to take them somewhere nice, probably $30 or under per person.

The ones I've looked up are Tabla Bread Bar (normal Tabla is too expensive), Sapphire, Diwan Grill, and Baluchis. There was another one I think, something Palace (but I don't have that info with me now).

Any we should definitely cross off? Any we should definitely visit? Is my entire list off base?

Thanks!

amelie Jan 26th, 2006 07:51 AM

ps. The last restaurant was Bombay Palace.

lisettemac Jan 26th, 2006 07:55 AM

I think Bombay Palace is good and has a nice atmosphere.

Tabla is great, but more like neo-Indian. Haven't tried the Bread Bar.

lisettemac Jan 26th, 2006 07:57 AM

Another thought: maybe you shouldn't do Indian at all. I mean, like you said, they get great Indian at home. Why try to impress them with something that might not be as good here? How about something that is more "new york," like a steakhouse or great Italian?

amelie Jan 26th, 2006 08:03 AM

oh no, we HAVE to go to an Indian restaurant because my poor husband lives with me in Cleveland... where we have few Indian restaurants. His parents aren't picky either.

Thanks though!

beanweb24 Jan 26th, 2006 08:09 AM

We liked both the food and atmosphere at Diwan...but were not very impressed with our particular server.

lddev Jan 26th, 2006 08:24 AM

I am not a connoisseur of Indian, but have been to Sapphire and Bombay Palace. Bombay is the better of these two. I think Dawat is better than both, but Dawat is a little bit on the expensive side. One other to try that is good and pretty reasonable is Bay Leaf on W55th St.

highflyer Jan 26th, 2006 08:52 AM

Utsav in Midtown has a good lunch buffet $16. You can check out their menu online (dinner entrees are around $20)

wantsomesun Jan 26th, 2006 10:41 AM

We think that the BEST Indian restaurant in the city is Kismat. It is way uptown, and not far from THe Cloisters, so you might want to make a day of the trip to see Ft. Tryon Park then walk through to see the Cloisters, then take the bus back to 187th St. and Kismat is right there on the corner.

Another suggestion would be Little India which is Lexington AVe around 28th St. THe best restaurant there is Annapurna.

Have a great time while you are here.

SB_Travlr Jan 26th, 2006 11:01 AM

I feel your family's pain, amelie. When we first moved from England to Connecticut, there were almost no Indian restaurants we could drive to. We missed it naan and a good chicken Madras so much! Now, thanks to all those enterprising Indian immigrants, we have several places to choose from. But still, when we visit our daughter in Washington, their Bombay Palace branch is a must (they recognize us now!) :-) I have only had the lunch buffet at the NY branch, and it was good -- but we prefer the DC location.

I recommend the NY Zagat guide for some help -- they list restaurants by type, so Indian restaurants are easy to find (price information there too). There's a cluster around midtown as I remember -- Murray Hill, maybe? Not far from Kalustyan's at 123 Lex <http://www.kalustyans.com/> where you can buy all the ingredients to make authentic Indian (and others) at home, too!

ekscrunchy Jan 26th, 2006 11:52 AM

You will be able to get much better Indian food at a far better price if you are wiling to travel outside Manhattan, to Queens. Let us know and we will recommend some places in Jackson Heights. In Manhattan at the moment, Devi is probably considered to be the best Indian, along with Tamarind and Tabla. Chola on 58th Street is also very good and they do dishes from all over the sub-continent.. Baluchis is much less costly but it is a chain and not considered among the top rank. Neither is Sapphire. Although both Diwan and Dawat are good, both are pricey. I would stay clear of midtown on any kind of budget. There are quite a few good ones in the area we call Curry Hill, which is Lexington Avenue in the high 20s.

mp Jan 26th, 2006 12:10 PM

Glad to see someone menthioned Devi - wonderful food, lovely service - if you've ever eaten at Vij's in Vancouver, Devi is similar . . . Utsav is quite good, too. Both of these are more 'upscale', refined Indian, as are Tabla and Tamarind. Bombay Palace, Sapphire and Diwan are down a notch, IMHO. I'm not a Baluchi's fan, although the chef/owner of Devi is an original owner there . . . I would skip the places in "Curry Hill" unless you want inexpensive more than good.

Jean_Valjean Jan 26th, 2006 12:14 PM

If you want a cool place with good-to-great food then go to Tabla. If you want a nice place with great food, then go to Chola on 58th. Their lunch buffet has to be the best value in midtown (10-15 great dishes, freshly prepared appetizers, rice, desserts, etc. for 13.95 per person).

earl30 Jan 26th, 2006 01:12 PM

utsav's buffet is about that same price and not only really good, but a beautiful atmosphere. only at noon though for the buffet. their food is excellent and i always see plenty of indians, but i'm no expert. I will say the decor is about 500% better than most of the other indian places i've seen.

Tandoori_Girl Jan 26th, 2006 01:47 PM

Haveli.

Keith Jan 26th, 2006 02:10 PM

It has been a few yea, but really enjoyed Jewel of India on 44th Street.

Keith

SB_Travlr Jan 27th, 2006 09:25 AM

Veering a bit OT: mp, if Devi is anything like Vij in Vancouver, that puts it on my list. We ate at Vij's our first night in Vancouver, and liked it so much that we went back again the next night. Terrific food and ambiance, and the owner is a charming and engaging guy who is in the business for love, not profit. (That said, I'm sure it's very profitable because it seems always to be busy -- but that's a fringe bene, not the mission.) ;-)

bgans Jan 27th, 2006 09:42 AM

Jewel of India is a good bet. My Mother-in-law spent most of her childhood in India (diplomat's daughter) and loves going there for dinner (and she is picky about her Indian food). Whenever we eat there, it seems that most of the other diners are Indian, which to me, at least, is a good sign.

al Jan 27th, 2006 12:39 PM

There's a really good one on 74th Street in Queens called Jackson Diner but you'd have to take the #7 subway out to Roosevelt Avenue (74th Street). And they're cash only. Bombay Palace is a chain but it's good. There are a lot of Indian Restaurants on 6th Street, east of 2nd Avenue. A particular favorite down there is Brick Lane Curry House and an old standby is Royal, on 1st Avenue between 5th and 6th Streets. A good place that has 50% off at lunch is Balucci's. There are several in the city but the one I'm most familiar with (and can vouch for) is on 56th Street, just west of Broadway. In fact, if you want to stay in Midtown try Balucci's first and Bombay Palace second. If you'll travel downtown, try Balucci's first, Brick Lane second and Bombay Palace third. And if you'll leave Manhattan definitely try the Jackson Diner in Queens.

mclaurie Jan 27th, 2006 12:42 PM

Devi
Chola
Banjara