Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Hotel to choose "Washington D.C"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-hotel-to-choose-washington-d-c-368421/)

Ahmed May 28th, 2008 07:47 AM

Which Hotel to choose "Washington D.C"?

I have made 3 bookings with 3 hotels - Can you help me to select the best choice?
For all hotels one bedroom suite for mysel,wife and son 15years for 10 nights during July 08. Also, one bedroom with 2 beds for my daughter and her friend both 17years old for 8 nights. Hotels are:
1- Embassy Suites (Dupont) # 2 per Tripadvisor.
2- Georgetown Suites # 38.
3- Hotel Monaco # 58 per Tripadvisor.

The cost is not significant different, though with breakfast at Embassy & Georgetown Suites. My choice is for the most comfortable and trouble free.

Can you help me to decide ?

Thanks in advance....

vjpblovesitaly May 28th, 2008 07:52 AM

1 or 3

Anonymous May 28th, 2008 07:52 AM

Depends what you mean by "Trouble free". The one in Georgetown probably has less-convenient access to the Metro, for getting around town.

kayd May 28th, 2008 08:04 AM

Monaco is very centrally located in the heart of the entertainment/museum district.
However, Dupont might be a better area to be in for a longer stay. At the conlfuence of business and residential districts, it has great Metro access to everywhere, but more variety of atmosphere (nightlife, embassies, neighborhood amenities) within a few blocks of the hotel.

Ahmed May 28th, 2008 08:14 AM

Thanks all. "Trouble free", meant such as staying in the basements, noisy rooms, thin walls .... .

Would agree 1 or 3. though still 55% to 60% for 1.

Anonymous May 28th, 2008 09:59 AM

If you are concerned about noise, then you might not like the Embassy Suites, which arranges rooms around a central atrium that can be busy and noisy very early and very late, plus all the corridor noises enter the atrium. This can be a problem if somebody is trying to sleep in the livingroom area. At least, ask for an upper floor away from the noise of the ground-leve activities. The hotel's home page has a photo showing this atrium-style arrangement.

Also, the ES is several blocks from Dupont Circle itself, though technically in the "Dupont" area. The Hotel Monaco is more conveniently located for both the nearest Metro station and for the Smithsonian museums.

Ahmed May 29th, 2008 09:48 AM

Many thanks.. Today I was looking at hotels and have made bookings at Renaissance M Street Hotel, 1143 New Hampshere Avenue. It mentioned new hotel 2007, may be just modification. It looks very nice and reasonable price. I have made bookings for 3 bedrooms-i can contact the hotel for a possible connected room where 3 of us can stay comfortably. Please do you know this hotel and is it central and good choice comparing to the above. If the cost is similar to the above 3 hotels.
Personally i prefer new hotels whenever possible. I am not keen of antiques - I am more to fun and comfy than history, if you understand what i mean. Please do you think is a good choice or to stick to number 1.

Thanks in advance. Please be free to suggest any alternative..

kayd May 29th, 2008 10:23 AM

That hotel is at the intersection of M, N.H. and 21st Streets, so is about 5 blocks or a half-mile from Foggy Bottom and Dupont metro stations (23rd and I, 19th and P respetivley). The hotel has been there for ages, but was recently renovated and relabeled.

It is more of an office district than either 1 or 3, so has something of a workday vibe vs the Monaco's entertainment district or Dupont's mixed uses, but a pleasant walk to Dupont or Georgetown (M street, 27th to 32d) if the distance isn't too much. There are restaurants near the hotel, though, just not the lively evening scene you'd find at the other two.

hlg22 May 29th, 2008 12:27 PM

Ahmed,
Since you are concerned about noise, be aware that directly across the street from the Renaissance is an active construction site - they are putting up about a 10 story luxury apartment building. Though it is nearing completion, I would imagine you might still have some construction noise in July, if your room faces onto New Hampshire Ave. The hotel is about an 8-minute walk from the Dupont metro, and seems popular with tour groups (I drive and walk by it daily, and there is often a tour bus or gaggle of folks with nametags outside).

With your requirements/preferences, I would have chosen the Monaco. :)

Ahmed Jun 2nd, 2008 12:14 PM

Sincere thanks for your advice and thoughts. At present still have 2 hotels booked ES and Monaco. Within a week or so will have to finalize which now i would say 80% for Monaco.

repete Jun 4th, 2008 06:06 PM

Monaco is a great choice and area.

It's busy but easy to get around and if the 15 YO doesn't want to hang with the parents on some evenings, there are options within a block of the Monaco, including a great cineplex, a sporting goods place and other shops.

It's also two stops away from Union Station, which has another cinema and a large food court.

Ahmed Jun 5th, 2008 07:16 AM

Thanks. This is good news. I am sure the 15 YO would like to be on their own. They will be staying one week with us at Monaco where then they will join the GYLC( Global Young Leaders Conference) for 2 weeks. One week at the Sheraton National Hotel - Arlington and further one week at Manhattan College - Horan Hall. Riverdale. We will not be meeting them during the 2 weeks. Myself,wife and Son will be going to NY after Monaco Hotel.

repete Jun 6th, 2008 03:24 PM

More teen type stuff there: The Lucky Strike is a newish, "high end" bowling alley in the same building as the cinema. There's a great pizza place within a block (Ella's), plus Hard Rock and ESPNZone (electronic games but adults would go nuts with noise and lousy sports bar food) are all within three/four blocks.

But if they like better food, you're in a great place for that. Almost too many to mention.

panhandle Jun 6th, 2008 09:33 PM

Georgetown is on the circulator route which seemd just as easy as the Metro. That...and I just love Georgetown. =)

repete Jun 7th, 2008 05:05 AM

Just much, much slower ... :)

But it does a nice job filling in where Metro should have gone.

Ahmed Jun 9th, 2008 01:50 PM

After reading several bad reviews on Mocaco #61 at TripAdvisor, especially about their basement rooms and bad ACs with such old building. I think now most likely will stay at the ES #1. Also, ES suites available with 2 queens which i much prefer than one king size as at the Monaco suite. I do enjoy very much walking, probably in the evening due to the hot sun during July. I understand Georgetown and the water front which is near ES is good place to walk. Since we will be staying 10 nights,the most important criteria to me would be a comfortable bedroom which from the review i have read, ES is a good standard hotel rooms, while Monaco can be special or bad. To me it sound like high risk investment. Since i am not on my own it would seems better to take the lower risk one.
In other aspects, I do like good beer, hope near to ES is a good bar with local brew and not the mass produce which tend to give me hangover due mostly to the preservatives...

Thanks for all,

mcnyc Jun 9th, 2008 06:01 PM

Hi Ahmed,

While I've not stayed at that particular Embassy Suites, I can tell you that the reviews of the Monaco is spot on. The rooms there are very hit or miss, but on the bright side, you can borrow a goldfish during your stay. It is optimally situated (food, museums, entertainment, shopping), and the building is beautiful.

Depending on your budget, a few other hotels in the Monaco area that I'd consider are:
Courtyard Convention Center (Marriott)
Renaissance Washington (9th Street)
JW Marriott
Metrocenter Marriott
Willard Intercontinental
Grand Hyatt
Embassy Suites Convention Center (10th Street)

Or, you might want to try another hotel in the Kimpton family. I really like the Palomar in Dupont Circle.

Ahmed Jun 10th, 2008 11:50 AM

Hi mcnyc,

Thanks for your note. Actually I was thinking of Palomar for sometime. Therefore, I have just booked 3 rooms with Ms. Amy. My son should be more comfortable than the ES where he would have to use the Sofa bed. At Palomar he will have his own bed.

momplaygroup Jun 10th, 2008 01:19 PM

Hotel Monaco for sure! It's beautiful.

Ahmed Jun 12th, 2008 08:52 AM

Thanks Manal for your message.

When I showed my wife the comments on Hotel Monaco from Tripdvisor, she told me no way we stay at this hotel. I do agree with you it is special hotel but it seems their rooms are not standards. It is okay if staying for a couple of nights but for 10 nights it could be a problem. Anyhow hotel Palomar where i have booked is within the same group. It seems there is a good Pizza place "Paradiso" nearby to Palomar which it should be a happy place for the family since everyone like Pizza. I hope a good beer brew also is nearby. Anyway I intended to use the hotel GYM on daily basis to burn the extra calories!!

Thanks all for your suggestions.