Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Hotel NY to choose? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-hotel-ny-to-choose-355591/)

Ahmed May 6th, 2008 10:02 AM

Which Hotel NY to choose?

I will be visiting New York during July?August for 12 nights. Myself,wife and son 15 years will be staying in New York for 12 nights after Boston, Chicago and Washington DC. My daughter and her friend both 17 will be attending summer courses at Boston, Washington DC and then New York. They will stay the last two nights with us at same hotel.

I have now made 3 hotel reservations. Would therefore appreciate your help in order I can finally select one of the three below hotels. I did tried to search for an apartment but with no lack.

Which one do you think is good choice?

1- Hotel Metro - Family Suits with 3 beds in two rooms. For 12 nights total cost with Breakfast $5,689.40
- For the last 2 nights my daughter and her friend with two beds and breakfast $ 800.62

2- Residence Inn. Studio King and Sofabed $4,354.78 another Studio King (since i prefer my own bed when possible) $4,109.89. Total $8,464.67 This with breakfast.

- for 2 nights for my daughter+ $753.01 with breakfast.

3- Ritz Carlton, Battery Park- Executive Suite, king,sofabed,City View total cost $8,363.72 with NO breakfast. with only king no two double bed in a Suite.

- daughter and her friend for 2 nights with 2 beds and no breakfast $936.67.

It seems Hotel Metro overall the best price and meet requirement but of course i do not know about the hotel...

What is your suggestion??

Ahmed from Bahrain.

mclaurie May 6th, 2008 10:56 AM

Can I vote for none of the above? The Metro is a fine hotel in a convenient area, but it's not the most attractive area, not great for dining nearby, and it seems to me for such a long visit, you'd be much better at a suite hotel with a sitting area and a kitchen. The suites at the Metro are just 2 bedrooms, no kitchen, no sitting room.

The Residence Inn IS a suite hotel so you'd have a kitchen there, but it's all studio suites (1 big room) and they don't have rooms with 2 beds, only bed and sofabed and we've heard complaints that the sofabeds are not very comfortable.

The Ritz Carlton is beautiful but not as central as others and doesn't really fit your bedding needs.

I'd suggest you look at the affinia.com suite hotels. I think all except the Eastgate Towers which is somewhat dated decor are good. See if any of the 1 bedroom suites with 2 beds and a sofabed are available. You might even find a 2 bedroom/2bath at around the same price as some of these. In that case your daughter and her friend might be able to fit for the last 2 nights while your son would have his own room for the other nights.

Some other suite hotels to try are
San Carlos
Embassy Suites (downtown near the RC Battery Park) which includes full cooked breakfast.

Ahmed May 8th, 2008 01:34 PM

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions. I have checked affinia.com and noted 2 rooms available at Shelburne Murray Hill - i did make booking but will have to call and check if 2 beds in each room. Personally i found when breakfast is part of the deal, then it is easier to get the Children and adults too to be ready early in the morning. Also, to see other travelers staying in the hotel where normally one does not know who is staying in the same hotel.

By the way, I find it a bit strange when hotels like Residence Inn for example is voted as number 12 in TripAdvisor but no mention of such hotel in all the 2008 travel books i have seen which are several. Is there a good reason, or just due of being part of a hotel chain.....

mclaurie May 8th, 2008 02:34 PM

I can't answer the question on the Residence Inn. It's relatively new but not so new that it shouldn't appear in a 2008 guide.

If you're interested in a hotel with breakfast, what about the Embassy Suites? It's downtown near the Ritz Carlton Battery Park, but it's a lovely spot in summer and they do include a full cooked breakfast and all their suites are 1 bedroom suites. The Shelburne Murray Hill is more centrally located but rooms have not been updated there yet as far as I know. The Shelburne does have a nice rooftop bar with a good view of the Chrysler building and the Empire STate building.

travelbuff May 8th, 2008 04:33 PM

I'd sugggest the Affinia on E34th St as a good option, nice rooms, good location and probably better priced than the other hotels you were looking at.

There are some good restaurants in the area, grocery stores, delis, gourmet food shops (on 2nd and3nd Ave), movie theatre (on 2nd Ave) book shop, gift shops, and even a blockbuster video.

Have a lovely holiday.

mclaurie May 9th, 2008 04:38 AM

I agree the Affinia Dumont on 34th st. is a bit nicer than the Shelburne (same co. owns both) but I'm assuming either there weren't 2 rooms there or they were too pricey. They're not far from each other, but the Dumont is more recently renovated.

Ahmed May 10th, 2008 04:51 AM

Thanks. Dumont does not two bedrooms, only one bedroom suite with king or queen at $4,944 for 12 nights before tax...and $898 for 2 nights a room with 2 beds for my daughter. I have now booked at the San Carlos Hotel. One bedroom suite king with a sofa bed in the sitting room for my son. Special promotion every 2 nights one is free at $509 a night before tax. Therefore, will pay for eight nights $4,072 before tax for 12 nights stay. My daughter and her friend will have double double for 2 nights at total $738 before tax. I noted the San Carlos from above Mclaurie comments. It has good review at the TripAdvisor. Also, recommended in TOP 10 New York City 2008, by Eyewitness Travel. Though no mentioned made in Frommer's New York City 2008. Not sure about Fodor's. The San Carlos include breakfast and their rooms looked to be nice and it seems in good area at 150 East 50th Street. At present i have several hotel booked, though this is on the top choice. Within the next few days must remember to cancel other bookings or will be paying dearly.

mclaurie May 10th, 2008 06:53 AM

The San Carlos is a great hotel and as you point out, includes breakfast. Love the location. You'll be great there. Best option by far. Some of the 1 bedrooms have 2 bathrooms. You might try to ask for one of those ;) .