Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Hotel Near The MSY Airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-hotel-near-the-msy-airport-429707/)

olesouthernbelle Sep 8th, 2008 08:19 AM

Which Hotel Near The MSY Airport?

We'll need a one night stay ( we think October 12-13 ) for our son's outbound flight to New Zealand. Would like clean/comfortable/fairly close to the airport, but reasonably priced. Less that $100, if available.
We'll need two rooms.

I've already seen some places booked up. Is there an event during that time (or is it the clean up crew there for the tropical storms?)

Betsy Sep 8th, 2008 09:42 AM

For the airport impaired, MSY is New Orleans.

This looks like good Priceline territory. He'd be likely to get one of the following airport hotels if he bids:

3 Star
Holiday Inn Select(no longer a Holiday Inn)
Hilton New Orleans Airport
Four Points Sheraton New Orleans Airport
Radisson New Orleans Airport Hotel

2.5 Star
Hilton Garden Inn

2 Star
La Quinta Inn
Fairfield Inn
Extended StayAmerica Kenner

Go to biddingfortravel.com to study the bidding process if you're not already familiar with it.

SAnParis2 Sep 8th, 2008 09:58 AM

Not much out by the Airport & the Quarter is not that far. I would at least enjoy the one night I had in Nola.

dfr4848 Sep 8th, 2008 12:17 PM

I tend to agree with SAnParis2. You'd be going against traffic (assuming this is morning or early afternoon flight) and trip isn't that long.

olesouthernbelle Sep 8th, 2008 12:42 PM

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Betsy, I've only Pricelined once - with a friend guiding me the whole while. It may be time to try that again. Which 'district' should I specify (I've not actually looked yet - do you know?).
The breakdowns of the stars is helpful!

Not a huge fan of NO, myself - but it's his best airport to fly out of.
Maybe I'll see what's going on in Biloxi that weekend entertainment wise. That shouldn't be too far of a drive?

If we did decide to stay in the French Quarter, where would fit the bill?

olesouthernbelle Sep 8th, 2008 03:03 PM

I checked on line & there's nothing much entertainment wise going on in Biloxi.

Do you have any specific recommendations in NO?

Betsy Sep 8th, 2008 04:44 PM

OSB, the hotels that I posted are in the airport area, as defined by PL. Is the friend who guided you before still available?

olesouthernbelle Sep 8th, 2008 05:11 PM

Betsy: I'm not ignoring your list. Was just interested if anyone had 'hands on' experience with one or another.

No, that was someone who was proficient in the Atlanta area. She knew the ins & outs for that specific area, so I got a good deal.

I do thank you for your advice!

dfr4848 Sep 9th, 2008 04:03 AM

If you consider the Quarter, we've always liked Place d'Arms.

olesouthernbelle Sep 9th, 2008 05:28 PM

Thank you for that suggestion dfr4848. What did you like about it?

dfr4848 Sep 10th, 2008 04:51 AM

On the edge of the Quarter, so it's quiet but really close to everything. Beautiful courtyard. Nice staff and accommodations. And it was very reasonable.

Betsy Sep 10th, 2008 09:33 AM

No problem, OSB. Let us know what you end up doing.

olesouthernbelle Sep 10th, 2008 02:19 PM

Thanks to both of you and I will try to report back on what we do.