Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which hotel in Savannah? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-hotel-in-savannah-347313/)

pat Aug 12th, 2003 12:23 PM

Which hotel in Savannah?

My choices are the Hampton Inn on Bay St, the Hilton Savannah De soto on Liberty, or the Mulberry Inn on Bay St. I would like to be near the tourist attractions but want the hotel to be nice too. Thank you! I have never been South before.

Judyrem Aug 12th, 2003 02:43 PM

Hampton Inn is very centrally located and looks very nice. We stayed at the Rdaisson(on Bay st) in April and loved it! The Hilton is closer to the "squares" than the River walk area. But it looks lovely too. Mulberry Inn looks nice but IMO, it looks like it could be a bit noisey. I love Savannah, it is a fab. city. Judy :-)

Jon_Eric Aug 12th, 2003 04:08 PM

I'd say in this order: Mulberry, Hampton, DeSoto Hilton

micheleh Aug 12th, 2003 04:59 PM

We stayed at the Ballastone inn and although quite pricey it was wonderful and had a GREAT location. Just a short walk to everything.Since it was in the middle of town we could walk to all areas.
Make sure you go to Lady and Sons for lunch or dinner. It was great.
Mrs Wilkes was a fun experience but I didn't think the food was as good as Lady and Sons.
There are some very good upscale restaurants also.Pink House for one is quite good.
We had a great time in Savannah. Hope you do also.

GoTravel Aug 12th, 2003 05:02 PM

I don't know if this helps you or not but I know people have been getting the Hyatt (great hotel, fantastic location) and the Hilton on priceline at very cheap prices. Around $50 per night if my memory serves me correct. Check out BiddingForTravel.com for info.

OliveOyl Aug 12th, 2003 05:57 PM

The cheapest I've seen the Hyatt come on on BFT is 70...last two times it came up (both in June) it was 76. Desoto Hilton goes for a little less.

If you can get something on PL it's a great deal, for sure. All locations for hotels you've mentioned are just fine for touring. The historic district is so compact you don't have to worry about that anyway. From the Hyatt on the river to the bottom of Forsyth Park, which is as far south as the historic district goes, is only a mile and it's the most pleasant mile imagineable to walk (or run...that was my running route for 4 years, Hyatt to Forsyth then 4 figure 8's through and around the park and back :) ).

Like jon eric, with the choices you've listed, I'd take the Mulberry first, then Hampton, then Hilton. If you can go up a step using Priceline, I'd take the Hyatt, Westin, then Marriott--not necessarily in that order...:) Only drawback to the Westin is that it's across the river on Hutchison Island, but they have a water taxi running to the historic district--probably takes 5 minutes or so to cross. It is a <i>beautiful</i> hotel!

BigRed Aug 13th, 2003 12:42 PM

We stayed at the Mulberry at the end of June this year. Very nice, but not &quot;in the center of it all&quot;

For more info, please do a search for my trip report by clicking my name above.

Barb42 Aug 25th, 2003 12:27 PM

I second the recommendation for the Radisson- just got back from a stay there and the room was beautiful- 4 poster rice carved plantation bed, jacuzzi in bath, and great service. I think rates are reasonable (we used goldpoints), and it is adjacent to City market and historic district.

swalter518 Aug 25th, 2003 12:37 PM

We were just in Savannah and at the last minute decided to take a drive to Tybee Island for half a day and loved it. Walk the beach, see the lighthouse, eat at the Crab Shack. We stayed a the Savannah bed and breakfast inn which I would recommend.

Dan Aug 25th, 2003 12:45 PM

No to the DeSoto Hilton. It's fairly ugly box architecture and the location isn't good either.