Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel - Holiday Inn Express or Red Roof Inn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've posted a few times and received lots of great answers. I've narrowed my choices down to these two. Holiday Inn Express at 15 W 45th St or Red Roof Inn at 6 W 32nd St. There is $100 in the different - the HI being more expensive. Which one would you stay in?

Having looked all over, I decided that the Upper West Side was too far away from most of the things that I want to visit. Decided that I would prefer a chain hotel rather than a B & B. Upper East Side looked good but too expensive and alot of the others that were recommended either weren't available for the dates or were too expensive.

So, once again, I would love your feedback!

Many thanks, Laura
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:40 AM

They're not all that far from each other, but the brand new Holiday Inn would get my vote of these 2.

The biggest negative to the HI Express is apparently rooms (and bathrooms) are small.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 04:41 AM

Upper West Side too far? That's why we have the subway!!!! We are talking minutes to midtown. And far nicer area with better food and better shopping than midtown.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 05:08 AM

HIX.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:20 AM

I've stayed at both those chains many times, but neither of those 2 locations.

Overall, the HI Express usually are a little nicer hotels with more amenities. The Red Roof Inns are a basic hotel with few amenities (eg: no shampoo) but clean and usually recently new fixtures & bedding. Owned by Accor (the chain, not this individual property), they seem intent on upgrading their image, and the recently renovated locations are quite nice, overall.

I believe the NYC location has continental breakfast too. Not luxurious, but more than adequate for most travelers. The $100 savings can go towards dinner or a play.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 09:50 AM

hmm, the HI is probably a "better" location more going on around it, etc. but there is certainly nothing wrong with the RR and the savings could be spent on doing some nice things in the city.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM

I haven't stayed at the HIX-- but I have hit the Roof. The location is just south of Midtown in Little Korea (well, 32nd St. is Little Korea, it seems); the neighborhood is very safe, but not particularly picturesque in and of itself. But you're just west of Fifth Avenue, and Murray Hill is a few blocks' walk away. Macy's is a couple of blocks away as well.

The rooms at the Red Roof are clean, good-sized and Spartan; the bathrooms are small (not W Lexington small, thank the gods) but spic-and-span with mini-soaps and shampoos (and a full-size drug store is a few doors down if you want the good stuff). There's a Continental Breakfast in the mezzanine bar (and that bar has a Happy Hour every day!). The place is perfectly acceptable, if far from luxurious. But I applied the savings to fund a super-expensive evening at the Café Carlyle ($600 for two to see Elaine Stritch!), so there you go.

The location of the HIX is "nicer", no question. The online rate quotes aren't much higher than the Red Roof, I note. And, if you're concerned about small rooms/johns, request a Wheelchair-Accessible room; that should give you a bit more space where it counts.

I'm muddying my recommendation already...! If niceness of location is worth $100 to you, go for the HIX. If you just need a clean, safe place to crash after enjoying the City, the Red Roof is fine and will save you some cash.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:36 AM

I think the HI Express also has a free cont. breakfast.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Many thanks for all the replies. I think I will stay at the Red Roof Inn and put the $100 towards something nice!

Laura