Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which hotel for downtown Seattle with little kids?

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new here. My two small children and I will be accompanying my husband to a conference in Seattle. He'll be at the convention center while we explore. I think the Grand Hyatt & Crown Plaza are sold out. Based on tripadvisor, I've been considering hotels like Seattle Suites, PanPacific, Hampton Inn, & Comfort Inn. My husband would like to be able to walk to the convention center. I'd like to be near a park and be able to walk to things like the children's museum. Any thoughts (or tips for downtown Seattle with kids)?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM

I believe Seattle Suites is an old apartment building near the Convention Center. The Hampton Inn and Comfort Inn would be a pretty long walk to downtown.
The Pan Pacific is within walking distance, but it would not be a convenient area to entertain two small children.

Investigate availability at the Mayflower, Andra, Sheraton, Westin, and Warwick, which are all in the center of things for you, your children, and your husband.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM

I think you're under-estimating comfortable walking distances downtown. PanPacific sits a bit to the north-east edge of downtown and is somewhat of a hike to anywhere. Children's Museum (at Seattle Center?) you'd want to take a bus or taxi. It'd be several miles to walk.

I honestly can't think of a park (at least not a large one) that would also be convenient walking distance to the Convention Center.

What if you stayed on Capitol Hill (more residential) and your husband caught the bus down to his conference (it's only a couple miles) then you'd be in a pleasant tree-lined streets kind of neighborhood??
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:01 AM

It is less than one mile from the hotels I listed and Seattle Center--home of the Children's Museum, Science Center, Space Needle, and other attractions.

If you don't like to walk--take the Monorail.

The International Fountain at Seattle Center is also a big hit with kids.

There are few hotels on Capitol Hill. The Silver Cloud comes to mind, but it's on a busy avenue, not a tree-lined street.

The Pan Pacific Hotel is a one-half mile walk to the Convention Center.

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:06 AM

The downtown area around the Pan Pacific is currently under heavy construction. Think car dealerships, warehouses, and new condo buildings going up. I am not disagreeing with distances given by htty, because those are correct, more trying to add a comment about the general ambience of those areas (lacking imo).
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will look into those hotels as well. I was thinking the Hampton Inn was .6 mi from the convention center, which would be no big deal for my very fit husband. I'll also look into the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

When I say park, I just mean a small place for the kids to run. I have to say that construction vehicles might actually be a plus for my kids, who kind watch that kind of thing for hours (not me, though). The monorail will also probably quite an event in itself. What attracted me to the PanPacific is the promise of Whole Foods downstairs. My younger child has some food allergies, and so finding acceptable food can sometimes be a challenge. Thanks for the suggestions.

So what would be the most convenient location for things like the monorail & children's museum? The zoo looks like it will require getting in the car, can't remember about the aquarium. We'd rather walk than drive. I'm not opposed to the buses, but it can be a pain getting a stroller on and off (the youngest child isn't up to walking long distances yet).
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

oops, that should be "can watch those things for hours."
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM

There's a fairly new 'Whole Foods' natural grocery store right at Pan Pacific downstairs that might work well.

Sure, it'd be an easy walk down to catch the Monorail out to Seattle Center.

You're right(!) all the construction that bugs me, might be completely interesting to a kid!!

Old Oct 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you tried the Summerfield Suites right next door to the Convention Center on Pike? Family suites, buses at the door... ?
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Yes, the free-ride zone of city busses extends to the Convention Center, which is one stop before the Summerfield Suites.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:24 AM

It's not called the Summerfield Suites anymore - it's the Pike Place Suites. I read that they are being converted to Hilton Homewood Suites, but haven't heard an update on that. Nonetheless, the Pike Places Suites is an excellent property, and I'd definitely recommend it with kids.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:35 AM

All this caused me to investigate Seattle Suites and Pike Street Suites on TripAdvisor.

Seattle Suites is the Electra Condos--it gets favorable comments.

Pike Place Streets is nearby. As WillTravel said, it was formerly Summerfield Suites. It is under rennovation and also gets good comments.

They are both very convenient to the Convention Center and appropriate for families.

See their web sites and reviews at www.tripadvisor.com
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:50 AM

For parks, I think you might find it worth it to get on a bus. You could easily bus up on the #10 to Capitol Hill. Go to the end of the line and you'll be at Volunteer Park, which is very pretty, large, has a playground, loads of space, very clean and beautiful.

There really aren't any parks downtown that I would consider suitable for a kid to run. There are a few downtown public spaces with grass certainly, but mostly they attract the homeless or are used by downtown residents walking their dogs.

I was thinking of the Silver Cloud on Broadway, that someone mentioned above. While it is on a busy street, it is right across from the Seattle University campus which has loads of nice green public spaces.

But knowing your interest in Whole Foods, that construction would not be a deal-breaker, and the central location to the convention center, I would not rule out Pan Pacific either.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't know when your trip is scheduled, but the Pan Pacific/Whole Paycheck site is adjacent to the new South Lake Union Trolley (the one with the unfortunate acronym) which is due to begin running "before the end of the year" according to Hizzoner the Burgermeister.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks..I had been to tripadvisor already and that's why I asked about Seattle Suites initially. I called Pike Street Suites who tells me they will be redoing their 9th floor during November. It looks great, but I'd hate to end up on the 8th floor! Love the name of the new trolley...it reminds me of the name of the state curriculum in Virginia, Standards Of Learning, referred to as the SOLs (not kidding). I haven't made up my mind yet, but thanks.