Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Embassy Suites in DC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-embassy-suites-in-dc-704187/)

bcm64 May 10th, 2007 05:50 PM

Which Embassy Suites in DC?

Hello. I'm taking Amtrak to DC for 2 nights with my husband and twin 10-year-old boys. Given the length of our trip, which Embassy Suites Hotel (22nd Street or 10th Street) would better?

girlwilltravel May 10th, 2007 06:27 PM

It would be a toss up on which one. Both are located in the middle of nearly everything. Embassy suites are pretty consistant and I love the ones in DC. I think the Embassy on the 10th Street is closer to the While House. Be prepared to walk alot no matter where you stay. This town if full of things for you boys to experience. The Air and Space is really neat. Have Fun!

bcm64 May 11th, 2007 04:23 AM

Thanks. Embassy Suites on 10th Street is priced higher, so I assumed it's more centrally located.

KathyK May 11th, 2007 04:46 AM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites on 22nd. It is in the Dupont Circle area and only a short walk to the subway. It is also close to Georgetown, we walked there from our hotel. Washington is very easy to get around, so if price is a consideration I'd say that the 22nd Street hotel would be a good choice.

MikeT May 11th, 2007 05:11 AM

10th Street is almost brand-new. 22nd Street is older and a little dated.

bcm64 May 11th, 2007 05:14 AM

Thanks KathyK and MikeT. I didn't know that 10th was newer.

patg May 11th, 2007 08:46 AM

We stayed near the ES on 22nd on a recent visit. It's a great area for restaurants. The nearest subway stop is a half-mile walk, and the Lincoln Memorial is about a mile almost straight south. It worked well for us, and I would recommend the area if the savings is worth the little bit of extra walking.

KathyK May 11th, 2007 11:37 AM

Our stay at the 22nd street hotel was April 2006 and I did not find the hotel "dated". The other one is new, but the furnishing and decor at the 22nd street hotel was fine. Just my opinion.

MoonGirl May 12th, 2007 05:43 AM

Both locations are fine; which is better for you depends on what you are planning to do during your time there. If it were just you and your husband, my first instinct would be to recommend the 22nd street location, because of the aforementioned proximity to restaurants, residential neighborhood, etc. But if you are planning to pack lots of daytime sightseeing in these two days, particularly sightseeing on the Mall, I think you will find the 10th Street location more convenient. Not only is it closer in, but it is also within walking distance of several different metro lines, which will make travel to different parts of the city more efficient. (The 22nd Street location is very close to Metro's red line, but you will have to change to a different line at Metro Center to get to the stops closest to the Smithsonian, for instance.)

RuthMc May 12th, 2007 06:02 AM

I agree with Moongirl. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the Smithsonian museums, the 10th St. location is much better. They both should be about equidistant from the White House (10th st. is 6 blocks east and 22nd is 6 blocks west), depending upon the cross street. I think the 22nd Embassy is at M St, while the 10th is at I St. M St. is more north of the White House than is I St. It might also be less of a walk from the Red Line to the 10th St. location, making it easier to take the Metro from Union Station to your hotel.

MoonGirl May 12th, 2007 08:43 AM

RuthMc, thanks for the clarification of the location of the Embassy Suites on 22nd and M. I actually had been thinking that the hotel was one of those near 22nd and P, near Dupont Circle.

In that case, I would revise my earlier remarks slightly to say that the 22nd Street location is about equidistant from the Red and Blue/Orange metro lines, but I still think the 10th Street location is closer to both. For a short trip focusing on museums/memorials/monuments (if that is indeed what the OP is planning), I'd still pick 10th Street, all things being equal.