Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Disney Resort has the best pool area for small children?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there-

Trying to decide which of the Disney resorts to stay at. We have small children so will be doing a lot of pool time as well. We are looking at Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge or ANimal kingdom lodge. We understand all the other pros and cons of each but looking for input on the pools of each. Thanks!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 06:31 AM

The BEST pool at Disney is, IMO, the one at the Yacht and Beach with its sandy bottom and water slide. It is so popular they give you wrist bansd so they can keep guests from all the other resorts OUT.

And you can WALK into EPCOT.

Grand Floridian as much as we like the hotel would not be the pool I would pick
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:19 AM

go to http://disboards.com/ and search around there in the Disney resorts forum . Also go to allears.net and poke around under accomodations. Lots of disney info.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:36 AM

I have never stayed at the WL or AKL, but have stayed at GF and was not impressed by the pool area at all (although it may have been upgraded since then). We much prefer the Polynesian, or even the Contemporary over the GF (we're monorail resort fans). The Poly has a fun slide, a "beach entry" at one end of the pool, a pool-side bar, someone who does hair wraps under a hut by the bar (if you have girls old enough and you don't mind the $) and a sandy beach for digging/watching fireworks over the castle and water pageant. Our children and nieces (ages 1 1/2, 4, 6 1/2 and 11 last visit) all love the Poly pool area.
Mid-afternoon pool breaks are great for the kids and parents alike!
Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 07:52 AM

msXscape,

Why are you skipping the Poly? Just curious. Also, how old r your kids? Keep in mind that at the Poly, in addition to the pools, there is also a fountain play area (small, but it shoots water) right next to the Volcano (big) pool that kids like.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

We have a 3 and 1 yr old and we are just going for a few days (prob 3). We are really going to see the animals and sit by the pool- AK and Sea World as my 3 yr old is recovering from a long illness- its a treat for him and he loves loves loves animals. We will probably end up going over the MK but that isn't the focus of the trip for us. Just happy to see animals and sit by the pool!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Hadn't thought of the Poly but I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestion. Any others are welcome. I did look on those boards but didn't find any specific answers to pool info . Thank yoU!
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 05:00 AM

The Beach Club/Yacht Club does have a great pool and the sand bottom pool was fun. But, I didn't think it was the best for small children. The other pools will be difficult for them to enjoy as they are either very deep or have areas with strong current. Also, if your kids are old enough for the slide, the entrance requires them to go across a public path. I wanted to be in the water when they came down. So, I'd have to get up, walk them to the line. Walk back to the pool and then wait.

For a variety of reasons, I think the Polynesian has the best pool with young kids. It's a shallow entrance and you can see them at the top of the slide line. It's easy enough to know when they are coming down.

Also, I think you need with young kids to factor in ease of getting to and from the Magic Kingdom. With young kids, Epcot may be worth one visit, but you'll be spending more time at the Magic Kingdom. Do you really want to ride the bus that often?

Our kids are now 6 and 5. We've been going to WDW at least 3 times a year since they were 3 and 2. We've found what works best is to either get to the Magic Kingdom early or late. We're either out of there by midday for a swim break or we spend the morning and afternoon at the pool.

To me, getting to the MK early when it first opens, hitting rides for 3 or 4 hours, then heading back for a swim is easier at the Polynesian.
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 08:36 PM

We're staying that the Contemporary at the end of April. However, sounds like the Polynesian resort has more than a few thumbs up from a pool perspective. (I have a 2 yo and a 4 yo.) Anyone know if we can use the pool at the Polynesian if we're guests at the Contemporary?
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM

Can you use the pool yes. The only pool where they require a room key is Stormalong Bay at the Yacht and Beach Club. Technically, each pool is only for the guests of that pool. But I've never seen the lifeguards check.

Personally, I wouldn't do it as it's using something I didn't pay for. But, I've seen others at the Polynesian pool that had not been staying at the hotel and they didn't seem to care about the rules.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:33 AM

I am also starting my planning for another Disney rip and for pools choice the Yacht and Beach is the one! You will feel like you are at a water park with them! Great to take the short boat trips for entering the parks too!
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:39 AM

That "public path" Ryan is concerned about is a WALKWAY along the lakefront..at DISNEY....like there would be serious danger????? but to each their own.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM

Have you checked the photo galleries on allearsnet.com? I haven't looked there in a while but they used to post hundreds of pictures of each WDW resort. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, you might be able to make a better decision for your family based on the photos.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:26 PM

Dukey,
There was an incident a few years ago at a Disney hotel where a pedophile grabbed a girl. Sorry if you're offended but to me a responsible adult simply would not allow their child out of their sight at a public walkway - and that promenade is open to anyone. I think that pool is great. But, a parent who goes there needs to be aware that it is a very large area and keeping visual tabs on a child can a problem.
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I took my 6 year old to the luau at the Polynesian. He just wanted to get in the pool, forget the dinner! Has a nice water slide.