Which day trip would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip with my mother and 12 year old son for the beginning of April. We are considering venturing out of the city for a day somewhere towards the middle of our stay. We are considering Gettysburg, Williamsburg, or a trip down Skyline Drive (possibly on toward Monticello?). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:31 PM

Which city?
Philadelphia? Washington DC? other?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

aidism- washington dc...sorry.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:37 PM

I would let your 12 year old choose. If he's the one most likely to be bored easiest. Gettysburg is nice but once you get there you just drive some more. Williamsburg is my favorite just because there is alot of interaction. You can walk all over the historic town and take lots of tours with the visitor pass you purchase.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:02 PM

I would probably choose Williamsburg, although I haven't been to Gettysburg, so can't compare. I've takebn my boys to Williamsburg twice, when they were about middle school age, and they enjoyed it; there's quite a lot to see and do. We have also driven Skyline Drive, and although there are beautiful views, my sons were really bored with that. However, if you do decide to do Skyline drive and Monticello (and they did enjoy Monticello), be sure to visit Luray Caverns, which is on Route 211, about 10 minutes off of the central entrance to Skyline Drive. We have been there several times, and the caverns are quite fascinating and beautiful. There are tours leaving about every 20 minutes. I think all three of you would enjoy this.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you LilyLace and Sara. I think we'll take your advice and go to Williamsburg. I'm thinking of taking Amtrak and staying over one night to get in a night tour. Do you have any recommendations (cry witch, ghost tour, lantern tour)? Any lodging advice (approx. $100 or less), or other not-to-be-missed activities would be wonderful. I posted a new thread under VA for Williamsburg in April, so I'm hopeful I'll get more information there.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 10:34 AM

We stayed at Apple B&B which is within walking distance of historic Williamsburg and the price includes a full breakfast as well as apple pie and water/sodas in the fridge anytime. www.applewoodbnb.com

We took the Ghost Tour which is really fun and not too spooky. You walk with a group to various shops on main street and in each shop is a story teller. There is a guide for each group and they carry lanterns.