Which cruise is best, need one for Kauai, Maui, and Oahu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we're staying 5 weeks in August, wanted to do a cruise on each island.
Lots to choose from, (from what I've read.) Never been there before.
We want 1. Best scenery (must see Napali)
2. No snorkeling (afraid of deep water)
3. Want to keep our shoes on, (read some take yours away)

Thanks to all who can help!!!!!
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Presuming you want day cruises and not cruises that go from island to island like the 7 day NCL Pride of Aloha.

Never been to Oahu and its been ten years since Maui, but have done at least four Napali boat tours over 15 years of travel there so I can speak a bit to Kauai.

If you are staying on the North Shore, Na Pali Catamaran comes highly recommended, seats only about 16 and very popular so you need to reserve in advance. Have not done this myself since I stay further south but it gets rave reviews over on TA.

Have been with Captain Andy's and Holo Holo out of Port Allen and they are both very good, the boats, the crews and the food. They all travel the same route so they will all have fantastic scenery. Some go a bit further north than others but they all take about the same amount of time.

Snorkeling is available on all the morning cruises but you do not have to snorkel, lots of folks including my husband opt to stay on the boat if they do not swim or care for snorkeling. The snorkeling is really a secondary activity and gets the folks out of the way while the crew sets up lunch. I suppose a sunset cruise would not have snorkeling, not sure about the afternoon cruises but the tradeoff is the seas are a lot rougher in the afternoon.

They all make you take off your shoes (to prevent the decks of their boats from getting damaged) as far as I know unless you had some kind of medical condition that necessitated you having to wear something on your feet at all time. Really it is great walking around barefoot.

Have a wonderful time.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Lots of the cruises are snorkel cruises, but as Jamie mentioned, you do not have to snorkel if you don't want to. Not all of the snorkel sites are in "deep" water though (and not sure what you mean by "deep"). But in all snorkel sites, you would not want to stand up either because 1) you couldn't reach the bottom or 2) you could reach the bottom and the bottom is reef (which would damage either your feet, the reef, or both).

It's not unusual to be afraid of snorkeling, but if you decide to try it after all, the boats will be more than happy to ease you into it. My mom hates snorkeling, but loves seeing the fish. So when we go on the snorkel cruises, she uses one of the boogie boards with the window viewer cut into it. Most of the boats will have that on-hand.

If you do have a medical condition that requires you to keep your shoes on, you should tell the cruise operator ahead of time. They may have a recommendation on what type of shoe you can wear without damaging the boat (even if it's just a pair of slippers...not flip flops). Otherwise, I've had to take my shoes off on every boat I've been on.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Have been on Captain Sundown on Kauai which leaves from Hanalei Bay. Since I love to sail it was great for us. Not everyone snorkeled. It was really one of the most enjoyable sails. I don't remember taking off my flip flops but I checked the FAQs & it said you'd be barefoot on board.

https://www.captainsundown.com/

We also went on the Four Winds on Maui. It was fantastic! If you do not snorkel that means you would have first shot at the Mahi Mahi that is BBQd for lunch and which runs out fast.

http://www.mauicharters.com/

We also went on the Trilogy from Maui to Lanai. Another fantastic boat trip.

http://www.sailtrilogy.com
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:38 PM

On Maui check into the Pacific Ocean Foundation. Not sure what they do when whale watching season ends, but the operate a fleet of boats and it is run by a worthy cause.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM

We enjoyed the Holoholo sunset cruise on Kauai. Exceeded our expectations. The scenery is breathtaking. Crew very nice, food/drinks good. Leaves from Port Arthur.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 03:00 PM

If you want to see the underwater without getting wet you can take Atlantis submarine tour, or visit Maui Ocean Center (aquarium).
Waipio Valley on the Big Island is also worth the drive.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU GUYS !!!!!!!!
We decided to book the Trilogy (Maui to Lanai) trip
and on Kauai the Holo Holo (Napali Sunset Trip).
But haven't found one out of Oahu yet.

Found out you can buy special boat shoes. I just don't
like to be flat footed, and if my feet are cold, I'm cold.
I always have something on my feet.

Thanks for the advise about snorkeling being not necessary.
I know my husband will want to go, I could enjoy a book
at that time.

Offlady, I did go on the submarine tour when we went to
Big Island a few years ago, it was really nice, but
once is enough, do plan on seeing the Maui Ocean Center.

I really think you guys are special people to take the time
to help me plan this vacation of a lifetime. Thanks again.