Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which cooking magazine is better? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-cooking-magazine-is-better-576933/)

lynnejoel1015 Dec 18th, 2005 06:40 PM

Which cooking magazine is better?

Hope I don't get flamed for posting this here, but I bet lots of you have opinions on this!

I just started subscribing to Gourmet and like it a lot, but want to pick a cooking mag for my brother in law. I've heard good things about Bon Appetit.

What makes them different?

Or, do you have magazine suggestions for a mostly-vegetarian (except he eats seafood)?

Thank you!

Scarlett Dec 18th, 2005 06:45 PM

I used to get both, but I used the recipes in Bon Appetit more, so I would recommend it. :)

rb_travelerxATyahoo Dec 18th, 2005 06:48 PM

Here's your flame.

How cluttered will these forums become when everyone asks about which (insert your favorite specialty, vocation, or hobby here) is better?

Why not ask on a cooking forum?

No_name Dec 18th, 2005 07:10 PM

I like both but if your brother is a novice when it comes to the cooking I would stick with Bon Appetit.

SusieQQ Dec 19th, 2005 01:36 AM

IMHO the best are Cook's Illustrated (cooksillustrated.com)and Cuisine at Home (www.cuisineathome.com) Both are ad-free and give well researched recipes with variations.

marigross Dec 19th, 2005 02:12 AM

I get Food & Wine, Bon Appetit and Gourmet. I loved Gourmet because it had a lot of travel related articles. I think that the three of them have declined over the last two years. I would probably pick BA as a gift.

LDLee Dec 19th, 2005 02:53 AM

My wife subscribes to Cook's Illustrated, Fine Cooking and Bon Appetit. Of the three, she always finds at least one item to add to her repertoire in Cook's Illustrated. We started subscribing after the free edition we received had two great items -- a recipe for the best margarita we both have ever had and a beer-can chicken recipe that is impossible to mess up.

My wife no longer subscribes to Gourmet (too much fluff, too complicated, difficult to find ingredients)

dfrostnh Dec 19th, 2005 03:05 AM

If your BIL is also interested in fitness you might consider Cooking Light. They have some vegetarian recipes in each issue. I've been happy with almost every recipe I've tried. If you want to consider giving a cookbook instead, the Moosewood cookbooks have recipes for vegetarians. My favorite is Daily Specials which has wonderful soup and salad recipes. Some of the seasonings are unusual but I've been able to find everything at my local health food store. The recipes are like a trip around the world since they are inspired by a variety of ethnic cuisines.

aggiemom Dec 19th, 2005 03:38 AM

Hi lynne

I was going to say "Cooking Light" but dfrost beat me to it! I am mostly vegetarian but my family is not, yet, and I always find good stuff to make. The recipes are lightened up in terms of calories but not so much that they lose any flavor.

Also, there is "Vegetarian Times" if you think he'd like true vegetarian cooking.

mom

beanweb24 Dec 19th, 2005 04:13 AM

Another vote for Cooking Light magazine!

Kennedy3 Dec 19th, 2005 04:17 AM

Cooking Light is the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Malesherbes Dec 19th, 2005 04:25 AM

Mine too. Most of my current repertoire is from that magazine.

AnnMarie_C Dec 19th, 2005 04:40 AM

Another vote for Cooking Light. Also subscribe to Bon Appetit but tend to prefer recipes from CL--and they have a great health section.

bobrad Dec 19th, 2005 04:49 AM

Good one rb !!!!

capecodshanty Dec 19th, 2005 05:20 AM

I shan't flame you lynnejoe1015! I finally decided, after much trial and error over the years, to stick with Bob Appetit, and not Cooking Light or Gourmet. The latter's recipe's were quite complicated,with difficult to find ingredients, and the former had too many other subjects included in the magazine.Still do pick up Gourmet, now and then, for its travel articles!

Gretchen Dec 19th, 2005 05:54 AM

Fine Cooking. It is all about cooking with VERY little advertising. Excellent techniques. Their occasional "cookbooks" in magazine form are very good.

wliwl Dec 19th, 2005 08:25 AM

Cooks Illustrated is the BEST. (No advertising at all.) They do all these tests to recipes and kitchen equipment -- and they are great.

christy1 Dec 19th, 2005 08:26 AM

Like someone else already said, Bon Appetit is better if your brother is a beginner. Gourmet is not "difficult" but it is aimed at people who know a little more about food.

I'll also agree with those that recommended Cook's Illustrated as a great all around cooking magazine. It's very good for novices since they explain WHY each step in the recipe works.

Chico Dec 19th, 2005 08:38 AM

I vote for Cooking Light and Bon Appetit.

bgans Dec 19th, 2005 09:03 AM

Another vote for Cooks Illustrated. I used to get Gourmet, but after Ruth Reichel was named editor, it became more of a lifestyle magazine and less of a "food" magazne. CI is all food. There are plenty of vegetarian recepies in there, but there is a heavy meat focus also.