Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Cape Cod town for a June vacation rental? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-cape-cod-town-for-a-june-vacation-rental-587521/)

kcapuani Feb 2nd, 2006 05:38 AM

Which Cape Cod town for a June vacation rental?

I am looking for a vacation rental for a week in June for two couples with a total of three kids (2 2.5 yr olds and a 4.5 yr old). None of us have ever been to Cape Cod before and are completely unfamiliar with the character of any of the towns. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where to start looking? I'd prefer warmer waters so it sounds like I should be looking at towns along the Sound. Also, I like to shop in electic stores, but not nessarily antique shops and love a variety of restaurant options. One other caveat - I'd like to avoid commercial areas.

There is an Aquarium in Yarmouth that I'm sure the kids would like. What is this town like? I also thought Chatham sounded wonderful although we would probably have to stay in a surrounding area to find a rental around $2K for a 3 bedroom.

I'd appreciate any guidance... Thanks!

nina Feb 2nd, 2006 07:03 AM

Brewster, Wellfleet, Eastham are all nice IMO. Try cyberrentals.com and weneedavation.com.

Just bear in mind that all the water will be cold in June, even the Bayside. The Ocean side is only for the VERY hardy! You might want to get wetsuits.

kcapuani Feb 2nd, 2006 09:41 AM

Boy, do I feel stupid! After reading nina's post, I looked up the water temps for Cape Cod - even in Aug it's only 70 degrees! Now we're going to re-think our destination. We'd really like the kids to be able to swim and 66 degree water in June cannot possibly be comfortable! We'll have to look into beaches in the mid-Atlantic/NC...

cybor Feb 2nd, 2006 09:50 AM

kcapuani,
Was that a temp. reading for the bay or ocean side which are very different? The bayside of Capecod is much warmer with calmer waters.

Also there are many inlet areas on the ocean side (the sound) with warmer waters as well, but never as warm as the bayside.

nina Feb 2nd, 2006 10:06 AM

I always go in the ocean, even in June, but it's shockingly cold and I'm a born and bred New Englander, I go in when most people don't.

By the end of the summer it's usually fine for kids, but last summer for some reason the water was freezing until August.

capecodshanty Feb 2nd, 2006 10:12 AM

On Nantucket Sound side of the Cape, the water is swimmable in June- Cape Cod Bay is a bit colder, but the ocean is COLD!! You, I think, would enjoy vacationing with young children on the Sound side. You can get a rental for 2K in June- it is before the high season. I would not suggest Yarmouth, for on the Sound side it is very crowded. Harwich or Chatham I believe you might prefer, and go the short 15 minute drive up Cape to the Acquarium, miniature golf, and amusements for the kids on Rt. 28. Nina has good rental sites. Peruse them, and also write to the towns Chamber of Commerce for their 2006 booklet, which will give you a good overview of the town. (The best Ice Cream onthe Cape is in Harwich!)

highledge Feb 2nd, 2006 12:22 PM

kids won't notice the water temp. If you wan less commercial look at Chatham or Orleans.
Orleans has a nice downtown area and the bayside beaches are very nice. Skaket beach is a grat beach for little kids as the tide goes out a very long way. And there are bathrooms too.

socialworker Feb 2nd, 2006 01:04 PM

May I offer a caveat about the Cape based on many years of experience? I would never plan a June vacation, esp w/kids and esp if you are going to shell out $2000!! The weather is just too unreliable at that time of year--you may have gorgeous blue skies and temps in the 70s and you may just as well have very chilly temps and driving rain. Your idea of a farther south locale is a good one, IMO.

cybor Feb 2nd, 2006 01:20 PM

Social workers right on.
Although the weather is usually pleasant in June for other activities, it's just too unpredictable for swimming.
Even though the bayside waters are warmer than the oceanside, your probably not going to want to submerge on either side until mid July thru Aug.
Enjoy your trip werever you end up!
Sherry

kcapuani Feb 3rd, 2006 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone - this certainly gives us a lot to think about. I'll post back once we've decided on where to go...

cctraveler Mar 15th, 2006 07:24 PM

I recently moved from Eastham and have to say that June was my favorite month there. My children loved to play on the bayside beaches when they were the same age as yours. Lots of calm water and interesting creatures to chase. June is pre greenhead season as well. Also, although not really swimable in June, the National Seashore beaches are great fun. IMHO, June would be one of the best months to visit the cape.

http://countrystudies.us/united-stat...ts/eastham.htm

Best of luck