Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Broadway show? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-broadway-show-410031/)

shuga_23 Aug 8th, 2008 10:07 AM

Which Broadway show?

I'm toying between Chicago, Wicked, and Stomp. Which is best?

happytrailstoyou Aug 8th, 2008 12:18 PM

If these are the only three possibilities:

1 Wicked
2 Chicago
3 Stomp

HTTY

shuga_23 Aug 8th, 2008 12:20 PM

HTTY, do you recommend something else?

HowardR Aug 8th, 2008 02:23 PM

Since you've listed three very, very, very different types of shows, it's sort of hard to recommend which one of those three, or any other show, for that matter, you'd enjoy the most.
Where do your tastes lie? What type of show are you looking for?

happytrailstoyou Aug 8th, 2008 02:52 PM

I agree with HowardR.

If you have never seen A Chorus Line or Gypsy, I suggest you see one or both of these shows. The current revivals have received great reviews.

In any event, go to www.broadwaybox.com for discount tickets. There you can also read with others have said about Wicked, Chicago, Stomp, Gypsy, A Chorus Line, and other shows.

nytraveler Aug 8th, 2008 04:51 PM

Depends on who you are (age, gender, how many shows have you seen, which did you like or dislike).

Stomp is memorable - but not in the class of the other too.

Chicago is a classic - but has been running forever. Did you see the movie - and like or dislike?

Wicked is always a winner - but very difficult to get tickets.

starrs Aug 8th, 2008 07:42 PM

1) Wicked

2) Chicago
3) Stomp

bethke14 Aug 9th, 2008 07:07 AM

For me, there is no competition between Wicked and the other two. It wins, hands down.

What are the ages/interests of the people attending?

bluiii Aug 9th, 2008 07:15 AM

1. Wicked
2. Wicked
3. Wicked

TC Aug 9th, 2008 08:31 AM

Of the three you list, another vote for Wicked. No comparison to the other two. Why just these three?

shuga_23 Aug 11th, 2008 06:38 AM

I'm a dancer and my fiance is in a punk band so I thought he might enjoy the percussion of Stomp. Chicago is my favorite movie. And I've heard Wicked is phenomenal.
We are 28 years old and going on our honeymoon.

skatedancer Aug 11th, 2008 07:29 AM

I think you should add "In the Heights" and "Billy Elliott" (if you're coming in the fall) to your list.

TC Aug 11th, 2008 09:36 AM

Totally agree with <u>In the Heights</u>. You would love it. Great music and dancing -- high energy. The young audience there the night I saw it were standing and dancing. I don't think that Chicago (the stage show) compares much to Chicago (the movie). You won't necessarily like one if you liked the other. Stomp is fun, but no story line or memorable music and it tours all the time so you could catch it anywhere. Wicked is great, but very different. For the personalities you describe, I think In the Heights is an excellent choice.

happytrailstoyou Aug 11th, 2008 10:21 AM

<i>I'm a dancer.</i> In that case, if you have never seen A Chorus Line, you must see it.

HTTY