Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which Broadway location for hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-broadway-location-for-hotel-628926/)

starrsville Jul 6th, 2006 04:34 PM

Which Broadway location for hotel?

Okay, all the "anywhere but Times Square" posts have started me wondering...which hotel location would Fodorites choose?

Within a block of Broadway and 51st (Times Square)
Within a block of Broadway and 32nd (near Empire State Building and Macy's)

Hotels are similar and so are rates. I will be there for both work and leisure but its the leisure I'm more concerned about. Which would you choose?

nytraveler Jul 6th, 2006 04:59 PM

Times Square is 42nd St - not 51st. And that area (51st) can be not bad. Would prefer it to 32nd St.

Is there any reason you're stuck with these 2 locations of all the hotels/neighborhoods in NYC?

djkbooks Jul 6th, 2006 05:32 PM

You could just avoid all the "anywhere but Times Square" posts.

A block in either direction and you're in an entirely different neighborhood.

The area in general could not be more convenient if you have theater tickets.

starrsville Jul 6th, 2006 05:51 PM

I know. I just love being in the lower 50's. A good friend relocated to Manhattan from "home" and first lived on 52nd less than a block from Broadway - and I LOVED that location. I do like the hustle and bustle. Feels like NYC to me :-)

nyt, yes, there were varied reasons. Chasing points mostly. Staying within a work budget, but looking for availablity for 2Q in case family members were joining me for the weekend. But, just got the phone call and they have already made their own hotel reservations. So, I'll probably go with my first choice (W 51st) and Priceline shop at the date comes closer.

djkbooks, I do plan to "do" Broadway...and visit friends on the UWS...and try to get the Chelsea/ Meatpacking tour in....and...and...and...

I asked earlier but if anyone wants an informal GTG on Labor Day weekend - coffee, dessert, etc - give a shout!

HowardR Jul 6th, 2006 06:31 PM

You're better off in the lower 50s.
(For the sake of accuracy, Times Square actually runs from 42nd to 47th Streets.)

starrsville Jul 6th, 2006 06:36 PM

Yep, I know. But the hotel on 51st has "Times Square North" in its name! Funny, isn't it? Marketing/ labeling/ PR = the way of the world. I pretty much stayed between 52nd and Sam's the few times I was in town.

HowardR, what am I going to do now that Sam's has closed?!?!

happytrailstoyou Jul 7th, 2006 07:14 AM

I don't think it is misleading to refer to 51st and Broadway as being in the Times Square area. It is closer to Hell's Kitchen, but I believe "Times Square" give a better idea of the neighborhood.

HowardR Jul 7th, 2006 07:45 AM

starrsville, that's tough call, with Sam's being closed. I'm not a big fan of the food at Joe Allen's.
Have you ever tried West Bank Cafe on 42nd Street, just west of 9th Avenue? (Across the street from Chez Josephine, our favorite.)Decent food and the prices aren't bad at West Bank Cafe. They have a very reasonable (and tasty) Sunday brunch menu.

starrsville Jul 7th, 2006 07:52 AM

No, I've give it a look-see.

Has anyone tried out the Mini-Bar at the Muse hotel? I usually like the ambiance of Kimpton Group hotel lobby, restaurant, bar, etc. I'm trying to find a place to meet up with folks between our hotels.

GoTravel Jul 7th, 2006 09:24 AM

I like the West 51st Street area.

Isn't that almost on top of Dave Letterman?

TC Jul 7th, 2006 09:41 AM

Howard, Are you still enamored with West Bank Cafe? It has been on my must do list for many years, but this past June I was greatly disappointed with both the menu choices and the quality of the food. Has the chef or ownership changed? Surprisingly we had a very good meal (and lots of star sightings) at Joe Allen one night. I thought it was rather passe, but maybe not.

HowardR Jul 7th, 2006 09:48 AM

We haven't been to the West Bank Cafe in about a year or so. I'm sorry to hear that the quality has gone down.
As for Joe Allen's, I'll admit that we do like the ambiance, but, to us, the food is merely average.
Whenever we go to the theater and are dining that area, we end up at either Chez Josephine or Le Madeleine (or once in a while at Redeye Grill or Remi, which are a few blocks north in the mid 50s).

emd Jul 7th, 2006 09:57 AM

GoT, who in the world would want to be on top of David Letterman?

nytraveler Jul 7th, 2006 10:04 AM

You can call 51st the Theater District if you want - but Times Square is actually 42nd to 44th St between 7th And Broadway.

starrsville Jul 7th, 2006 10:19 AM

Actually, it's the "Hampton Inn Manhattan- Times Square" that calls their location at 8th and 51st "Times Square".

I was curious, so according to google maps, they aren't the only ones...
Novotel New York Times Square - @ 52nd
Times Square Church - @ 51st
Ruby Foo's Time Square - @ 50th
Crowne Plaza Times Square - @ 49th
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square - @ 48th
Hershey's Time Square Store - @ 48th

Lots of talk on the Europe board about the Fashion Police. Perhaps Manhattan needs the Geography Police. :-)

starrsville Jul 7th, 2006 10:35 AM

<<< You can call 51st the Theater District if you want >>>

Just curious...who (on this thread) called it the "Theater District"?

GoTravel Jul 7th, 2006 11:22 AM

Well obviously someone emd or he wouldn't have the kid:-D