Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which botanical garden is the best in Kauai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are many choices -- McBryde, Allerton, Limahuli, Na 'Aina Kai, Princeville. I will probably visit just one or two. I particularly like beautiful, colorful flowers and enjoy informative guided tours. We'll be in the Princeville area for 5 days and the Poipu area for 5 days and will have a car.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 10:36 AM

The only one we've been to is Limahuli. Enjoyed it, but it didn't have the colorful flowers we hoped for (perhaps August is the wrong time of year). Otherwise, it has the lush, exotic, tropical foliage you expect of the north shore, and the loop tour, gains enough in elevation to afford some beautiful views.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 10:50 AM
P_M

I highly recommend Allerton, especially if you want a guided tour and lots of flowers. In case you are old enough to remember the show Fantasy Island, that is where many scenes were filmed. McBryde is nearby and it's self guided but if there's only time for one visit then do Allerton, we thought it was far superior. Bring mosquito repellant.
Old Aug 25th, 2014, 11:54 AM

the only one we went to was Limahuli. The views are great, and the self guided tour (there's a booklet) was quite informative. I think its very worthwhile. But agree with FaceInTheCrowd, it did not have a large number of flowers. So probably one of the others would be good as well.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 08:17 AM

I've been to Allerton quite a few times. I actually have a friend who works there. I would recommend Allerton as it is easy walking, there is a great variety of foliage and plants, and the water and statue features are unexpected and very pretty. The Morton Bay fig trees are located here, trees which have the huge roots where the dinosaur eggs were sitting in the Jurassic Park film. You can stand between the roots and take photos, they are that huge. Walking towards the ocean, you'll see the houses that were built by the original owners of the gardens, very much Hawaiian plantation style, but not open for tours. You will be educated by the tour guides, who are extremely knowledgeable and you'll feel transported into a tropical paradise. Well worth the fee to attend the tours, plus all funds go towards maintaining the gardens and the research facilities.
Old Sep 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM

Limahuli is my favorite. It is a very "powerful" place located just under Makana Peak. The reason there aren't a lot of flowering plant there is that the place is dedicated to plants native to Hawaii and some native to Kauai itself. There is a variety of white hibiscus that grows there that is so beautiful. If you're lucky you will run into one of the gardeners and groundskeepers who might tell about the legends associated with the Limahuli Valley.

Na Aina Kai might be more of what you are looking for.

I also enjoyed Allerton. The setting is not to be believed.
Old Jul 22nd, 2015, 12:33 PM

I've visited and enjoyed all of them -- Allerton is the most elaborate, but I also really liked Princeville. It's smaller, but has a huge variety. And it's very "interactive". You get to taste all kinds of stuff as you go through the tour. Including chocolate and honey.