Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

which BI hotel-Marriott Waikaloa or Outrigger Keauhou Beach

Jan 28th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

I have these two hotels booked for nearly identical prices. The Marriott room is about 50 sq. feet smaller, and we have a garden view or something. At the Outrigger, we have an oceanfront deluxe. There are going to be four of us in the room. The trip is in roughly 2 weeks, and I have to cancel one soon. Which should I keep? We love being able to walk out of the hotel onto a great swimming beach; but other amenities, such as pool, spa and restaurants, are a consideration. Never been to the BI. Thanks in advance for your expert advice!
Jan 28th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Snorkeling and ocean view are incredible at the older one of a kind Keauhou Beach Resort, but you have to drive a few minutes north or south for more food choices (other than the hotel) and the grey sand beach at Kahaluu beach Park is limited. Driving several minutes north to downtown Kona brings a wide variety of nightlife and oceanside/view restaurant choices.

Marriot Waikoloa is located in a lava flow and has a nice large crescent sandy beach known as A-Bay with decent snorkeling. The Marriott is set back a distance from the ocean as there are ancient Fish Ponds in between the beach and the hotel. The Kings shops are within walking distance and include restaurants and small upscale shops, Starbucks etc, that beat the hotel prices. In north Kohala you are in a mainly tourist area across from the Hilton Waikoloa(Hawaii's Disneyland Hotel).

I enjoyed staying at both but prefer KBR because of the Hawaiian feel, the snorkeling and ocean view and short drive to restaurant/nightlife variety, however if you want to hang out on a real sandy beach and a hotel with a decent sized pool and jacuzzi's then go with the Marriott.
Jan 28th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Hi
We stayed at the Marriott Nov/Dec04 and were upgraded at checkin to a room with a partial ocean view which was perfect for us. The rooms aren't huge but we really were only there to sleep and there was enough space for us (2adults plus 2 kids,14 and 7years)

We liked the location, as JohnD mentioned the Kings Shops are just aross from the hotel, and 'A'Bay is renowned for it's sunsets!

You'll have a great time whichever resort you choose!

Jan 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! Sounds like I have a "good" dilemma.
Feb 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Any other opinions out there?
Feb 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM

Don't know about the Outrigger (although I have read good things) but we liked the Marriott Waikola. We booked a garden view for $200/night, and they upgraded us to partial ocean view when we checked in. I have seen people get it for $95 on Priceline, if you are interested in that.

It wasn't a luxurious hotel, but it was nice, clean, modern, and spacious without being overwhelming large like the Hilton. JohnD gave a great description.

The Big Island is amazing...have fun!
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:48 AM

According to their website, the Marriott is going through renovations and there will be construction through January 2006. I don't know if that would be an issue for you, but it has prevented me from considering it for our trip in September. This will be our first trip to the BI too and I am having a hard time deciding on a hotel.
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM

We stayed there last Aug. Originally our room faced the construction site. When the front desk attendant couldn't or wouldn't move us I asked to speak with the manager. No sweat. She moved us w/o hesitation.