Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which area to choose for Glacier cruise in Alaska?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-area-to-choose-for-glacier-cruise-in-alaska-992961/)

PatN Sep 25th, 2013 08:30 PM

Which area to choose for Glacier cruise in Alaska??

Which area offers the best glacier tours...out of Seward or Whittier?

dfrostnh Sep 26th, 2013 03:18 AM

If you choose Whittier, remember there is a one way toll tunnel to get to Whittier and you'll only be able to drive the tunnel at scheduled times.

We very much enjoyed our Major Marine tour (longest one) out of Seward. Seward is a wonderful town which is fun for an overnight. You can't control mother nature though. We lucked out with very calm seas and a visit to an area with a narrow inlet that the captain said was only accessible with the large boat a few times each year but none of the glaciers calved. We still heard lots of rumblings. They shut off the engines so you can hear all the noises. Saw lots of orcas and one humpback whale with baby etc.

Connie Sep 26th, 2013 05:40 AM

We've done Major Marine and Kenai Fjords and loved both. The main thing is to stay out as long and far as they offer and make sure it goes to Aialik Glacier.

The longer you are out the more chance of seeing wildlife and the best glaciers.

You might want to wait until the last minute to see how the weather is. We've never had trouble getting tickets. They will go out even if it is raining and it really reduces your visibility.

Connie Sep 26th, 2013 06:27 AM

Looking at each company's website I see that Kenai goes to Northwestern instead of Aialik. I don't remember being disappointed at all in either destination.

Gardyloo Sep 26th, 2013 06:30 AM

You'll see more glaciers and less wildlife out of Whittier, and on calmer waters. Out of Seward (Kenai Fjords tours) you'll see more wildlife and fewer glaciers, and it will be on (potentially) much rougher water. Not quite apples and oranges, maybe apples and pears.

LindainOhio Sep 26th, 2013 05:26 PM

If you get the Northern Lights or Toursaver coupon book, you can use the coupons to Buy 1/Get 1 free. We purchased the Toursaver coupon book and did both the Whittier and Seward cruises--really great to get them for half price. They were both fabulous cruises. We were blessed with beautiful weather for both cruises.

The coupon books are for the Major Marine cruises. The cruise out of Whittier focuses on glaciers. It sails through calm waters

Be sure to take the longest cruise out of Seward to see Kenai Fjords National Park, beautiful scenery--several glaciers on this cruise also. There is a stretch of choppy seas on this cruise. They sell Bonine or Dramamine right at the check in desk.

People seemed to enjoy the buffet. We packed our lunches and ate on the deck.

When we got back from Alaska, I sold my Toursaver coupon book to a family taking a cruise. I hadn't used any of the coupons at the ports of call where they were stopping.