Which area of San Francisco?

Nov 26th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Caity

Which area of San Francisco?

I will be travelling to San Francisco in February and was wondering which area of the city would be best to stay in (close to public transportation, easy to get to tourist sites like Alcatraz, Coit Tower, Yerba Buena Gardens etc.) I am looking for a safe and convenient area-- would I be better off at Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, Financial District . . .

Nov 26th, 2001, 09:09 AM
kam

It's all pretty close together and MUNI makes it easy to get around. If you want to be very close to Coit Tower and Alcatraz, pick the Fisherman's Wharf area but know it's going to be very touristy. Union Square is a bit quieter, good for shopping and theatre, but review all the posts that complain about the homeless since there are many of them in that area. Financial District would be my last choice.

Nov 26th, 2001, 12:16 PM
citison

if you want to shop or go to the theaters, stay near union square. you could stay at fisherman's wharf, but you would have to taxi, muni or cable car it to union square. the cable car is definitely a fun ride, going up and then down nob hill. by the way, union square is undergoing major renovation and is sort of an eyesore right now.

tourism has definitely slowed in the city since 9/11, so the usual crowds are much less.

price wise, you could probably get a better rate in the wharf area than in union square. the financial district is also my last choice, though the regency is a very nice hotel. enjoy the city.

union square would be closest to Yerba Buena Gardens. The wharf has great views of alcatraz.

Nov 27th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Susan

Actually, I wouldn't rule out the financial district, as this encompasses the Embarcadero area as well. From there you can catch Muni or BART to Union Square. If you stay in a place with a view of the bay, Hotel Griffon, Harbor Court Hotel, Hyatt, you'll have a better view than any hotel in Union Square. Also, you'll avoid the tourist aspects of the Wharf. You are a short BART or Muni ride to the theater district, Yerba Buena Gardens and Union Square, you can catch a ferry to Alcatraz or Sausalito at the Ferry Plaza, and you can even walk to Pier 39 (well, it's about a mile but along the bay). Lots of good restaurants around that area too.

Search this Thread