Reload this Page >

Which area of Kauai to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Megan

First time going to Kauai. I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on what area of the island to stay.

I am deciding between:

Princeville
Poipu
Kapaa

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:18 AM
jcb

Megan -

Please give us some more info. When are you going? What do you look for in a vacation? How long are you staying?

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:23 AM
sam

Definitely Princeville!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:24 AM
alex

Princeville-great beauty
Poipu-great weather
Kapa'a-great place to drive through.
Great resorts at 1st two towns. Kapa'a-last resort (though A Pacific Cafe is wonderful).

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Megan

Sorry!!

I am in late 20s. Going in July. Plan to hike, snorkel, and sit by the pool!!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:01 PM
jcb

In July, I would prefer Princeville. Weather will be nice and lots of great hiking and snorkeling spots nearby. Also, it is less crowded in Priceville.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Brenda

Since you are in your 20's, you might like Hanalei, near Princeville on the North Shore. A funky, artsy town with lots of young folks, surfers, etc....
There are lots of beach houses etc..for rent in this area. Beaches on the North shore are gorgeous, paradise really.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 08:14 PM
4khansen

We visited Kauai in July a couple of years ago. I think you will find the weather to be generally excellent on the south side, Princeville (north) occasionally will be wet, but easy enough to travel around the island to better weather(took us probably 35-45 minutes between Princeville and Poipu). The north is lush and green and more "tropical" but the snorkling and nice beaches are very accessible all around the island, have fun!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:33 PM
alex

There is very good snorkeling north and south. The eastern beaches, near Kapa'a, are relatively nondescript and even dangerous. One exception: Lydgate Park. There are many excellent hiking trails in the Waimea Canyon and Na Pali areas. The Kalalau trail just above Ke'e beach in the north is spellbinding; both its beauty and difficulty will leave you breathless. You may also wish to look at 'Anini, Hanalei, Kilauea, Kahalahala, Tunnels and Lumaha'i beaches and coasts in the north, Poipu and Kiahuna in the south and, for its size alone, Polihale in the west (dangerous swim, though).

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Doug

I know everyone is down on Kapaa, but we stayed at the Lae Nani condos(actually in Wailua) and thought it was a great place and a very good price.

Poipu, IMHO, was too touristy and not very exciting. Princeville is beautiful, but wet and isolated. It is easy to get around the island from Kapaa and the best laua on the island is at Smith's Tropical Paradise, which is just down the street from Lae Nani.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 03:30 PM
x

ttt

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Renee

How much nightlife you need is a factor - north shore is very quiet at night. If you need more action go for the south shore. For beauty and peace and quiet, go north.