Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Which are the most beautiful napa/sonoma wineries. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/which-are-the-most-beautiful-napa-sonoma-wineries-524518/)

Governator Apr 26th, 2005 04:26 PM

Which are the most beautiful napa/sonoma wineries.

I'm more interested in beautiful grounds, scenery, architecture then good wine. Which are the best wineries to visit on a 2 day tour.

LoriNY Apr 26th, 2005 06:23 PM

In lower Sonoma I loved Domaine Carnaros and Artesa. In mid Sonoma - Chateau St. Jean. In Napa - Joseph Phelps and Quintessa were my favs.

Governator Apr 29th, 2005 02:25 AM

Anyone else?

billy_boy Apr 29th, 2005 03:26 AM

Both Artesa and Doamine Carneros have beautiful grounds and breathtaking views. However, they are not in Sonoma - both are in Napa.

I also like some of the wineries, for their grounds and views (and not necessarily for their wines), along the Alexander Valley area of Sonoma - esp. those along Hwy. 128. These would include Hanna, White Oak, Alexander Valley Winery, Sausal.

Chateau Souverain in the Dry Creek area of Sonoma also has a beautifulchateau and views.

I also like those wineries up in Spring Mountain area, both for their wines and grounds - Paloma and Pride Mountain wineries

LilMsFoodie Apr 29th, 2005 05:25 AM

ferrari carano, hess collection, beringer, niebaum coppola lmf

LilMsFoodie Apr 29th, 2005 05:29 AM

forgot sterling...gondola with view of vineyards, a winery that looks like a monastery. beautiful. gardens at chandon are stunning. lmf

pjsparlor Apr 29th, 2005 05:39 AM

I loved Bueno Vista winery in Sonoma, is it still there? Old wine cave, that we did the tasting, wonderful!!

BigJim Apr 29th, 2005 06:18 AM

Sterling and Coppola!

ilovetulips Apr 29th, 2005 07:01 AM

I am not sure what time of year you wil be there but I was there in mid May and I loved Ferrari-Carano in Sonoma and Korbel Champagne, also Sonoma. The grounds and gardens are beautiful. For the tours, I loved Robert Mondavi, but I also love his wines.

Budman Apr 29th, 2005 07:24 AM

ilovetulips, we stopped at Korbel right at closing time. They were very nice and accommodating, took their time to let us taste, and gave us a couple of Kendell Jackson free tasting passes (I think they are worth about $15 each). ((b))

ahhnold Apr 29th, 2005 07:29 AM

Robert Sinsky, on the silverado trail.

Governator? Could you be me?

No_name Apr 29th, 2005 07:57 AM

I am not sure if they still offer tours but Newton Winery had the most beautiful gardens I have ever seen in wine country.

Gekko Apr 29th, 2005 08:31 AM

Another vote for the Domaine Carneros Chateau, www.domaine.com, and the post-modern, feng shui Artesia.

Enjoy!

Chico Apr 29th, 2005 08:41 AM

Another vote for Ferrari Carano. The grounds are beautiful. Also, Lake Sonoma Winery has beautiful views of the Dry Creek Valley.

weimer Apr 29th, 2005 12:49 PM

Here are a couple more:
Clos Pegase up by Calistoga has lots of art and architecture. Viansa and Gloria Ferrer in south end of Napa have great views. Hop Kiln's wine room is in an old barn - not great but unique. Ledson in Sonoma looks like a castle in dark brown brick. La Familia - great place to pick up lunch at Oakville Grocer and have lunch over looking Napa valley.

kimamom Apr 29th, 2005 01:26 PM

Chateau Souverain in Geyseville has beautiful grounds. Ledson, Chateau St. Jean and Kunde are very pretty in the Sonoma area. :)

In Napa Valley: Sterling, Clos Pegase, Beringer and Domaine Chandon are all very pretty. I think Domaine Chandon is my favorite in this area. Cheers! ***kim*** ((f))

razzledazzle Apr 29th, 2005 01:30 PM

In Napa-I agree with Robert Sinskey and would add Chimney Rock nearby.
Has anyone else been to Jarvis-maybe only we locals know it. In Sonoma-paticularly the Dry Creek region is Passalacqua (formerly
Pezzi King),If you enjoyed the look of Artesa-be sure to seek out Roshambo on the West Side Road, Healdsburg-while your on the WSR, stop in at Rochioli for a fabulous view. In Alexander Valley-Trentadue.
R5

Governator Apr 30th, 2005 06:04 PM

Thanks , so many good suggestions. No clear winner but being as I don't want to wander too far from Napa and Sonoma, from your replies and what I've read the following seems like a good start Chateau St. Jean, Kunde, Artesa, Dom Carnaros,Clos Pegase,Sterling,Robert Sinsky. Ferrari Carano over in the Russian River Valley got 3 votes.

easytraveler Apr 30th, 2005 07:36 PM

Sonoma wineries for view: Ferrari Carano, Chateau Souverain, Armida, Raymond Burr, Iron Horse.

Smaller wineries with a modernistic architectural touch: Roshambo and J Winery

Underhill May 1st, 2005 04:44 PM

For a lovely setting there's the Chateau Montelena winery near Calistoga. The grounds include a Chinese garden and a small lake with an island pavillion that you can reserve for picnics.